1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lets all just calm down

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by ajg1959, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But so many conservatives are so wrong in their spiritual beliefs and especially in their attitudes. Many believe much more in Paul than in Jesus.

2. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

The power was out here for a while because of a thunderstorm, but now I will be glad to answer your question.

I guess I already answered the question in the post above, but I will answer it again. The question as to whether to build a new high school or convention center is a matter of opinion and not biblical doctrine.

However, abortion and homosexuality are clearly against God's principles as set forth in the Bible. And yes, a "good christian" would support and even defend the principles of the Bible.

When you put the other issues in the election above the issues of abortion and homosexuality, then yes, you are ignoring and rejecting the teachings of the Bible.

And dont say that you dont put these issues above the issues of abortion and homosexuality when you say that you support candidates that promote these issues because of their stance on the economy or the war.

The economy and the war are minute issues compared to the teachings of the Bible.

AJ

3. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I hear this attitude all the time, especially in church.

Somehow, we divide our lives into our spiritual life, our home life, our work life, our political stance, ect. I believe this is 100% wrong

Isnt our spiritual life supposed to incompass everything? If you are taught certain principles by the Bible, do not those principles apply to everything? Even politics?

How can you say that the Bible applies to certain parts of your life and judgement but not others?

AJ

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, do you think you more "godly" than the other members in your church that you hear this from?

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never, ever, posted such a statement.

6. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I struggle every day to be godly. And one of the lessons I learned from that was that true godliness encompasses my whole life, not just certain parts of it.

Business is a good example. I know deacons in the church who are good men and will work their tail off to serve the church. But when they are at work, they throw all of that out the window and become cold and uncaring. One certain man I know owns a business that makes him close to a million a year. He will do anything in the world for anybody, except pay his employees a decent wage. He will also lie about contracts and job schedules, and lie to customers about the actual cost of the job. Somehow he believes this is ok because he is in business and has nothing to do with church or his spiritual life.

No, I am not more godly than others, but perhaps I am more concerned about becoming more godly than most.

I dont see religious freedom as a free pass to avoid God's teachings when it comes to politics. I know we have "seperation of church and state' but to me that is supposed to protect the unbelievers from undo persecution, and protect the church from state interference......but it doesnt mean that christians should ignore biblical principles and teachings when it comes to politics and government.

AJ

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

The problem is the book goes on to mention many more things that candidates you do vote for are equally guilty of.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Now this post sounded very familiar...

Lk 18:9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:
    10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
    11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
    12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
    14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

9. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

That is just wrong!

I in no way think that I am better than anyone...in fact I think I have alot of catching up to do before I can even come close to being average as far as being a christian goes.

Did you not read my first sentence? I said I struggle evey day. I do have a very sinful and ungodly past, and I thank God that He is helping me to change. I am not there yet.

But i think that anyone who has come from a sinful past like mine is more concerned with being godly than the average church member that has never struggled to the extent that I have with sin.

You are just wrong on this one. We may disagree on moral standards and biblical doctrine and thats ok, but on this you are just wrong. I dont think I am better than anyone. I am just a sinner that has been forgiven.

AJ

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

What???

Paul and Jesus are not in conflict!

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The real mistake is believing the Word of the living God is just a book of words. Such mind sets lead to an imposition of conflict between Paul and Jesus. Such is not grounded in reality.

12. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Amen!:thumbs:

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

Our founding fathers despised "mob rule." That's why the Electoral College is in play. Gore vs. Bush isn't the first time the EC and popular vote have differed. Furthermore...if you live in states other than CA, NY, FL, and about 6-7 others, then you should be thankful for the EC. Otherwise, your vote would mean nothing, and our "two coasts" would decide our president.

The founding fathers wanted a Representative Republic...not a Democracy. And for that, I'm thankful.