1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Let's be factual, please!

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Six-Principle Baptist, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Six-Principle Baptist

I must respond to Diane Tavegia's "SixPrincial changed the topic when he introduced his ideas and his web site where you can, for $100..." No one can become an ordained minister of the Six-Principle Baptist Church, one of America's oldest denominations, for $100. This is an application processing fee. Many denominations (Evangelical Covenant, Evangelical Free, Christian Church of North America, etc.) have processing fees. The Open Bible Standard requires annual renewals. If you are going to make statements please be factual. One of the great attributes of Baptists is they have always been honest and factual.

The Rev. Dr. James W. Clifton
    General Association of Six-Principle Baptist Churches, Inc.

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

What is the purpose of this ordination? What I mean is wouldn't most active ministers be ordained by their own local church body? Or is there an additional consideration connected with this particular ordination?

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I don't remember which thread your link was on but the link provided brought up the aforementioned matter about ordination as a Six Principaled Baptist Minister and how someone without a degree could take courses off that site.

Can I ask again what you mean by the remark "Jesus represents grace with responsibility"? It confuses me. :confused:

Diane [​IMG]

[ July 10, 2003, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: dianetavegia ]

4. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Diane, "Seminary Extension" is a correspondence/on-line/extension classroom course of study given under the collective cooperation and authority of the many Southern Baptist seminaries.

I don't know about this particular ordination program or its affiliations, but there are a few even on this board who can testify to the quality of the schooling offered by Seminary Extension.

5. Six-Principle Baptist

Yes, each candidate must be ordained in a local, Baptist church. The National Council of Ordained Ministers approves all ordinations. This has been our policy since the 1670's. Now, "grace with responsibility" is reflective of Romans 6:1. Too many Christians live by and many churhces preach "I am saved so I can do whatever I want because God loves me anyway." This is cheap grace. With grace comes responsbility to live moral and ethical lives.

Jimmy

6. Six-Principle Baptist

Let me be very, very clear. Seminary Extension DOES not endorse the Six-Principle churches or its programs. We endorse Seminary Extension. Many denominations have programs of study leading to ordination for candidates who do not have a seminary degree. The Cumberland Presbyterians come to mind.

Jimmy

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As this thread is not related to a breaking news story, I am moving it to the Denominational Forum.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, went to the website and the bulk of it centers on paying the bucks and getting an ordination. That "appears" to be like a diploma mill or mail order ordination (from the surface).

Could I ask "how many" people were ordained in the last couple years?

Could I ask "what" they had to do for this ordination?

Thanks. Giving you a chance to set the record straight.

9. Six-Principle Baptist

Thank you, Dr. Bob. The Six-Principle church became defunct a few years' ago after dwindling to only two churches in Rhode Island. Several Baptist pastors and I decided to revive this historic denomination and that is why there is a focus on ordinations. With ordained ministers we can reestablish SPB churches. The ministers currently ordained in the SPB church are transfers from other Baptist groups and the independent Christian church/churches of Christ. One is a transfer from the Methodist church. One of the last SPB churches to survive is Stony Lane Six Principle Church. Here is the old site. Their pastor sent me this when I inquired about the SPB church some time ago
    Thanks again Dr. Bob, the way you communicate is wonderful. It is decent and in accord with the teachings of Christ.

Blessings,

Jimmy

10. Six-Principle Baptist

I wish to thank Dr. Bob and Diane for their posts. The Executive Body of the Six-Principle churches agrees with them about how our denominational site appeared to focus on ordinations. It did because we are trying to revive the SPB denomination. However, appearances are everything. We do not want to present and "appearance of evil" so we have changed our site. Thanks again to both of you.

Jimmy