1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Let's discuss the differing views of Biblical Election

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

ad hominem

Wrong question. If your consistent with the context the question would be, "Why does this dog meow and that one doesn't..." or "Why does this lost depraved sinner believe and that one doesn't."

Ok, but that doesn't change anything. We would still all be born 'cats' and the question would still be: Why some are changed to dogs and others not (i.e. why some meow and others don't.)

The clear answer, according to your system, is because one was chosen and the other was not, period. You know it and I know it. You attempt to avoid it because it reveals your system to be the error it is.

But whatever... You don't seem to want to actually engage me in a debate, but instead rather make degrading, immature remarks and straw-man attacks.

2. Skandelon

Whose numbering them? Scripture refers to the 'few' who find it and the 'few' chosen, so why can't I? I never claim to know how many the 'few' are and I've repeatedly admitted it was still many people, but a relative few compared to those lost.

Its fine in disagree with my soteriology, but what does that have to do with my use of the word "few" and the subsequent ridicule and refocus of this thread on that point?

We all affirm that God has select particular individuals throughout history for 'noble purposes' and others for common use. We just disagree as to the application of such teachings being applied to the soteriology of mankind. (i.e. Because God chose Paul individually as his divinely appointed messenger, he must have individually chose who would and would not believe His message. It doesn't follow.)

3. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

How does that compare with Scripture that shows us otherwise?

Rev 19:1 After this I heard what seemed to be the loud voice of a great multitude in heaven, crying out, "Hallelujah! Salvation and glory and power belong to our God,

Rev 19:3 Once more they cried out, "Hallelujah! The smoke from her goes up forever and ever."

Rev 19:5 And from the throne came a voice saying, "Praise our God, all you his servants, you who fear him, small and great."

Rev 19:6 Then I heard what seemed to be the voice of a great multitude, like the roar of many waters and like the sound of mighty peals of thunder, crying out, "Hallelujah! For the Lord our God the Almighty reigns.

Would you set Scripture against Scripture to prove a point? Define "few" without attempting to number the elect.

First, I'm not "ridiculing" anything. I am, however, suggesting that you are using the term "few" to attempt to say that God cannot "elect" by His sovereign will and yet populate heaven.

I am also suggesting that your notion that God elects covenant groups instead of individuals misses the heart of the Word, where God calls EACH of us to faith and repentance.

I find that God has indeed elected individuals, and wonder why you would resort to a very Catholic concept, i.e., that God elects those who by some means of external grace are among some covenant group. Will you begin baptizing babies next?

Still wondering why it is such a difficult concept to process that GOD -- GOD -- is both capable and able to elect everyone that He desires to elect, and more that He is also capable and able to insure that those whom He elects hear an effectual call, are regenerated, justified, submit in faith and repentance, work out their sanctification under the grace of God, and are ultimately glorified. Is the atonement for nothing, except that one of us grasp onto it under our own power or will? Did Christ not ACTUALLY accomplish everything that was necessary to redeem the elect? Or does one have to show God that they ARE the elect before God makes them the elect (which is so illogical as to non-compute)?

4. Skandelon

If you go back and read my posts you will see that I affirm their will be countless multitudes saved, but that doesn't change the use of the word 'few' by Jesus himself as a relative term compared with the board wide road and countless MORE that will perish. Why do Calvinists reject a relative term like the word 'few' in regard to their view when Christ himself used it? Maybe it's your conscience telling you that indeed God is not the one doing the limiting of those saved as the logic of your system insists.

Then you would be mistaken because that was not my intent in the use of the term. I've explained my intent countless times so I'll defer you there...

Well, that aspect is certainly central to our disagreement as it was the intent of the OP, which got diverted off the bat by a focus on the word 'few.'

Now, on this point, can you point me to the passage where it teaches that God elects certain individuals to believe in him? I know it says he has predestined to conform believers into Christ's image and adopt them as his sons, which is something we all eagerly await. But, I'm looking for the verse where God individually chooses to make some believe and not others.

Do you mean like Augustine and Calvin? No. I know which parts of Catholic orthodoxy to accept and which to reject. :)

Your statement assumes I can't grasp Calvinism simply because I have rejected it. I really was a Calvinist for about a decade of my life whether you believe it or not. Allow me to just refer you to my signature and request that now you seek to understand that which you so vehemently reject.

5. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Until the board clears up your issues in the other thread, I will no longer respond to your posts.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Translation: I'll hide behind a perceived offended state in order to get out of responding to well thought out points. Typical.

7. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Why is it that you never ACTUALY contribute to a thread, but are alwasys out there ready to toss out a snarky comment or two?

8. Skandelon

What issue? I saw that you reported my post because you felt I misrepresented you, but if that was a rule violation we would have banned everyone by now because everyone feels misrepresented at times. The correct response is to debate me by showing how you feel I have misrepresented your views.

I said nothing in those post that was personal or a violation of the rules.

methinks doth protest too much

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

pot or kettle? I tried contributing to a thread where I wanted to discuss pelagianism compared to your quotes and you didn't want to play.

10. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

:thumbsup:

11. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Oh, but you certainly did. You quote someone then call them heretical. That's not personal? :laugh: Yeah, OK.

methinks you do this too often.

I find it ironic that a fellow here tells us the correct response is to debate him showing how one is misrepresented, while at the same time in another thread, he instigates ridicule of others instead of doing what he preaches others to do.

How interesting.

Double standard anyone?

#151 preacher4truth, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2012
  12. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Well, the other thread was closed. I am hoping that the board acted accordingly for the slander that you tossed my way. -------------------------it works is that you ACTUALLY COPY THINGS I WROTE then paste them in. Making up your version of what I said without a single post to back up your contentions is slander and a lie, for I have never ONCE held the positions you so crudely attributed to me.

The other posts I cited were EXACT COPIES of what people wrote. AT least Winman had the guts to stand behind what he wrote. He is wrong, but he owns it unlike others around here who only jump in to bark at those with whom they disagree.

In any case, I never do run from a debate, even though I have been accused of such above (bark bark). So, I'll answer, but I hold out no hope for any real debate here because you have once again demonstrated that you will resort to gutter tactics to derail something that isn't going your way. Good for you... Hope that works out for ya...

Now, on to this...

It would be good if you could do this without repeated slander of a position that you THINK you understand. Every time you write, it becomes more clear that you are arguing against a straw man, but in any case here is my response.

First, my point is that we dare not number the elect, which is precisely what you are trying to do with a proof-text. When offered another proof text that contradicts your own, you attack my doctrine. Few is a word used in Scripture in a passage that I affirm. Calvinists do not "ignore" or "reject" what is written in the Word, so attempts to paint us that way will obviously fail. There will likely be many more lost than saved. God says so. But the number of saved will likely be many more than you believe could happen by God's election alone, for you seem to need to "help Him" in some way or another. Is God so impotent that He cannot both elect effectually call those whom He deems by His will alone to be His adopted children?

Second, my conscience is just fine, thank you. God is on His throne, in charge, and I am not. What He does is good with me, and who on earth am I to even consider questioning the King of all kings?

Deferment accepted...

I picked up on a fallacy that you were presenting, i.e., that we number the elect. As I recall, YOU brought up "few" to defend your position, so it is obvious that I am on the right track concerning your efforts.

You are asking for a proof text? I can ask the same thing... Where does it say that God grants man libertarian free will to choose or reject God? But, I'm not going to do that to you because you would take it as an ad hominem. What I will say instead is that there is evidence in EVERY SINGLE ELECTION of God where a person was effectually called and numbered among the redeemed by faith for the FACT that God elects individuals. There is hardly a page of Scripture where that does not happen, which is precisely why the majority view of the church (universal) down through the ages has been for God's election of individuals.

I thought you above playing the game of the ignorant, but perhaps not... True theologians can discuss this sort of stuff without resorting to this form of cheap shot and indirect slander, both against my position and against men of God moved by the Holy Spirit, who did indeed minister well to His Bride, the church.

Whether or not I know it? You TELL US THAT at every turn, and yet you still invent things about Calvinism that convinces me and others that you really are either misinformed, ignorant, or worse, intentionally deceptive in your analysis. I believe that YOU believe that you were once a Calvinist, but I remain unconvinced that you actually understand what it was that you think you believed back then. We do tend to run into ignorant people around here from time to time. I've tried to not count you among them, but your track record is not that great. At least argue the truth of the position instead of trumping up some extreme case upon which to hang your hat.

And, trust me, after all our debates, I AM trying to understand you. So far I get "jello -- wall". You claim Arminianism, but you are considerably fluid in that claim, at once dancing in and out of the doctrine when the occasion suits you -- sometimes dangerously close to semi-Pelagianism and at other times quite rationally Arminian. Love to nail you down some, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ball is in your court...

#152 glfredrick, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012
  13. Skandelon

Slander: The action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation.

What false statement did I make about you that damaged your reputation? Please be specific.

And then explain how your act of taking a bunch of quotes out of their context and labeling all their authors as heretical is not slanderous? I'll await your answer.

By the way, the other post you reported where I pretended to quote unnamed Calvinists was done in jest in order to illustrate the point that anyone can pull quotes out of context and label it as heretical. I didn't call you, or anyone else heretical. You are the only one who has done that. Those "Calvinistic" quotes were made up based on what I remember that some Calvinists have said and I KNOW you and most Calvinists don't believe those heretical things. THAT WAS THE POINT. Anyone can take any sentence out of context to make it sound heretical.

So, again, can I ask you who here is doing the slander?

YOU are by insisting that the authors of those quotes support the heresy of Pelagianism, when in fact they all have said they don't.

And who is providing a defense for those being slandered?
    I am by simply asking you to link to their quotes in their context and seek more clarity. And showing you extreme examples of what it feels like to have quotes taken from their context and called heretical.

Oh, and the threads were closed because any thread over a certain length that starts getting reports is typically shut down.

He may be wrong but he is not heretical as you originally claimed and that is the issue I was taking with you...

No, but you report posts that call you out for calling others heretics instead of actually providing support for your claims. Which is worse?

I think its a gutter tactic to quote people out of context and infer they are heretics.

My request for you to try and understand them better and link to their actual quote within their context is clearly an effort to bring it OUT OF THE GUTTER that you created.

"Few" is not a number. If it were then Christ was guilty of numbering them because he uses the same term.

Now who is numbering the elect?

Isn't that all the the term "few" implies? That there will be much less saved than those lost? Isn't that the point of the broad and narrow roads illustration?

The point of our disagreement has more to do with why there are a few. You believe its due to God's limitation of that number, and I believe its due to mans rebellion in the face of God sincere appeal and desire for all to come to faith and repentance. That is the issue we should be debating, not the word "FEW," which Jesus himself employes.

No. I know Calvinists don't 'number' the elect, but they believe God numbers the elect....that is all that was meant. God preselects a relative FEW people (relative to the number not selected) and effectually saves them. That is ALL I MEANT and that is an accurate description of Calvinism.

"Choose you this day who you will serve."

And there are thousands of other verses which at least imply human choice as even compatibilistic calvinists affirm. Now, whether these support the compatibilistic or libertarian model is up for debate, but there is no question the bible presents the concept of free will.

What I'm asking you is the present the verses which support the concept of God predestining individuals to believe.

This from the guy who said, "What are you going to do next, start baptizing babies?" Sounds like you can dish it out but not take it when it comes back at you. ;)

The point is that we both affirm and reject certain aspects of Catholic orthodoxy, so appealing to that as an argument is really inconsequential because the Catholic church has no authority over what is true and what is not. You all get made at me for pointing out debate fallacies but this one is call "guilt by association." You tried to tie my beliefs with Catholicism so as to discredit it instead of dealing directly with the merits of my claims. Instead of explaining all that I just pointed out others who baptized babies from the Calvinistic perspective with the hopes you would understand your obvious error.

And you started this post accusing ME of Slander? Really?

Which form of Calvinism have I misrepresented exactly?

As I've quoted before, Calvinists are seriously divided among themselves and always have been. There is Supralapsarianism vs. Sublapsarianism vs. Infralapsarianism. 'The Supralapsarians hold that God decreed the fall of Adam; the Sublapsarians, that he permitted it' (McClintock & Strong). The Calvinists at the Synod of Dort were divided on many issues, including lapsarianism. The Swiss Calvinists who wrote the Helvetic Consensus Formula in 1675 were in conflict with the French Calvinists of the School of Saumur. There are Strict Calvinists and Moderate Calvinists, Hyper and non-Hyper (differing especially on reprobation and the extent of the atonement and whether God loves all men), 5 pointers, 4 pointers, 3 pointers, 2 pointers. In America Calvinists were divided into Old School and the New School. As we have seen, the Calvinists of England were divided in the 19th century.

Whenever, therefore, one tries to state TULIP theology and then refute it, there are Calvinists who will argue with you that you are misrepresenting Calvinism. It is not so much that you are misrepresenting Calvinism, though. You might be quoting directly from various Calvinists or even from Calvin himself. The problem is that you are misrepresenting THEIR Calvinism! There are Calvin Calvinists and Thomas Fuller Calvinists and Arthur W. Pink Calvinists and Presbyterian Calvinists and Baptist Calvinists and many other sorts of Calvinists. Many Calvinists have never read Calvin’s Institutes of Christian Religion for themselves. They are merely following someone who follows someone who allegedly follows Calvin (who, by his own admission, followed Augustine).

Calvinists believe that they have the right to reject or modify some parts of or conclusions of Calvin. I agree with them 100%, and I say, further, that we also have the right to reject the entire thing if we are convinced that it is not supported by Scripture!

We all want to be understood Fredrick. Calvinism feels like jello to people new to this discussion too you know. It is a complicated discussion but we must be willing to meet each other half way and discuss things with an open mind if we are going to move past the personal attacks and debate fallacies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.