1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lewis' salvation belief, age of accountability, and neo orthodoxy

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by APuritanMindset, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

PuritanMindset, just to set the record straight, I do not believe babies are born good.

The issue of whether a baby can have saving faith depends, I guess, on what is meant by "saving faith." I tend to believe that reason must be involved though reason is not sufficient nor the whole of it. But it is God who said, "Come, let us reason together" in Isaiah, and it is from God from whence reason comes. Also, it says many times about Paul that he reasoned with people to whom he was preaching. It is not that their reasoning saves them, but I think God does use reason (in the sense of meaning the ability to think and recognize a truth). I reject the idea of "blind faith," and irrational faith as being part of Christianity.

Of course, if one is Calivinist, then one believes God gives the faith to the person and so one could believe, I guess, that God would give this faith to an infant. But how can an infant be aware of or respond to such faith if they cannot reason?

I realize I just posted re John the Baptist as an infant recognizing Jesus and that goes against what I just said in this post. But I am not sure we can take the John the Baptist incident as norm, plus it's narrative and not prescriptive. Not that it is not an indication of something.

I am thinking out loud here so I hope no one jumps on me for inconsistency.

Sorry if I sidetracked from Lewis here.