1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Liberals and Abortion

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by OldRegular, Jan 11, 2009.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

About what...I'm not following... (it was written to Israelites, btw, not "us". We benefit from it, but it is not specifically addressed to us.)

2. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

NOt sure what your issue is with this, but I'll take a stab at it. God is setting punishments for crimes. As cruel as some of these sound to us we must remember the cultures that were present at the time, these are actually much lighter punishment than some other early cultures.

I think you are implying that the loss of an unborn child is less than a murder EX 21:22. That is not necassarily the case. The punishment for killing someone was death. The penalty for killing the unborn is what ever the father wants. What if want's all the possesions of the murderer and his death? If that were the case then the punishment would be more severe. What if he wanted the death of all the murders family?

Does anyone else find it strange that the laws of our country allow abortion on demand, but yet you can be charged with murder if you cause the death of an unborn child as mentioned in Ex 21:22?

3. THEOLDMAN

THEOLDMAN New Member

The two fellows fighting injure a pregnant woman. If she loses the baby the fellows are fined. If the woman loses her life it's "eye for an eye" time.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ok, thanks. I thought you were moving on to slavery or something :laugh:

I saw nothing what you posted in chapter 21. The closest I see is verse 22...

22"If men struggle with each other and strike a woman with child so that she gives birth prematurely, yet there is no injury, he shall surely be fined as the woman's husband may demand of him, and he shall (N)pay as the judges decide.

Where does it say the child dies? It only states if the baby is born prematurely due to the woman being striked. The next verse...

23"But if there is any further injury, (O)then you shall appoint as a penalty life for life,

I don't see where the premature child's life is any less important, do you?

5. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

After re-reading, I must agree with webdog once againg (must be a Browns thing) the verse speaks of premature delivery, the loss of the baby would be defined in the hurt or mischief that follows.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If only Browns fans could seek such retribution :laugh:

7. THEOLDMAN

THEOLDMAN New Member

kjv says "so that her fruit from her depart" that means miscarry to me.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why does that mean miscarry? Just another example where the KJV is not the end all - be all :)

I don't believe the Hebrew for "fruit" can be a child born dead...it means something born. A miscarriage doesn't fit that definition.

#68 webdog, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2009
  9. THEOLDMAN

THEOLDMAN New Member

I've studied on this and prayed about this for awhile. I'm going to disagree with you on this one. What did Jesus say about abortion ?

10. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Christ support the concept of "Thou shall not kill".

Christ considered the children equally able to worship him "Suffer the little children to come unto me"
    Christ knows us in the womb.

Christ sets us aside for service in the womb.

Jer 1:5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think you have. If you have, you know Scripture doesn't contradict, and that Christ is the fulfillment of the Law, never in opposition to It. What does the law say about murder?

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

In Matthew, Jesus repeats the command do not murder, and expands it to the thought process of hating someone in your heart is also murder.

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

In Matthew, Jesus repeats the command do not murder, and expands it to the thought process of hating someone in your heart is also murder.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

double post

#74 saturneptune, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2009
  15. THEOLDMAN

THEOLDMAN New Member

You think WRONG. I find "contradictions" in the bible alot. The law says murder is murder, and abortion isn't murder.

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Webdog has a good handle on this issue. You do not. What on earth would motivate someone to register with a message board composed of Baptists, knowing how strongly we oppose the unjust taking of life, and use his first few posts to defend abortion?

17. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

:thumbs: :thumbs:

18. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Abortion kills an innocent human; that is murder!

Do you think Jesus Christ would sanction the murder of those whom He said:

Jeremiah 1:5. Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

Do you think Jesus Christ would sanction the murder of those whom He said:

Mark 10:14. But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.

Now He said nothing about speeding them on their way to Him by murdering them in their mothers womb. As Christians it is our calling to follow Jesus Christ.

You find contradictions in the Bible? I assume you do not believe in the inerrancy of Scripture. Just which Scripture do you choose to discard? Obviously you have discarded the sixth commandment.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

There are no contradictions, only what men perceive to be contradictions, some with the intent to support and approve of sin.

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I cannot remember the name that was banned, but this sounds like a reincarnation of someone we have dealt with before.