1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Libertarian Party?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by ajg1959, May 24, 2008.

1. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Would you folks check out the website and party platform of the Libertarian Party and give your opinion of it?

http://www.lp.org/issues/platform_all.shtml

Some of the posters on here really praised the LP so I checked it out.

As you will see, they are anti-draft, pro abortion, pro gay marriage. And they want to deregulate utilities so the companys can charge you as much as they want to. And they want to abolish the FCC and lift all censorship on TV and public media. They also want to repeal all anti drug laws, making drugs legal, and even pardon all previous convicted drug offenders.

Hmmmmm.....

AJ

#1 ajg1959, May 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2008
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are Pro-Abortion - but - not at taxpayer support.

There are many things I disagree with the Libertarian Party, but our country has gone so far to the extreme, it may take something like the LP to bring us back our basic liberty.

I am still seriously thinking of voting Libertarian if Bob Bar is the Candidate

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lots of libertarians are pro-life: www.l4l.org. Bob Barr is pro-life.

Also, as a libertarian I believe in the separation of marriage and state. Marriage should be the province of churches, not the government.

If you are truly interested in learning about the LP's positions, then I invite you to watch the candidates debate at the LP convention tonight on C-SPAN starting at 8:00 p.m. CDT.

#3 KenH, May 24, 2008
    Last edited: May 24, 2008
  4. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I've checked it out before. I prefer the republican platform myself it's unfortunate the republican party has chosen to conform itself to a globalist platform.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Poncho, if you live in NY then come join the CONSERVATIVE PARTY , if not, check out the Party and start one in your State or Commownwealth.

And that goes for all of conservative BB members!

6. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Ok Ken, I am watching the Libertarian debate as I write this....and I am sorry, but this is just silly.

They keep starting sentences with "When I am president I will........."???????

None of them are going to be president and they are wasting time and taxpayers money with their delusional quest for an office that they will never set foot into.

Sorry Ken, but this debate is nonsense. Dont take this personally, but, who do they think they are fooling? And what do they hope to acheive? They are certainly never going to reach the office of president so why do they keep alluding to what they will do when they are elected?

AJ

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How is the LP wasting taxpayers' money? Our candidates don't accept taxpayer funding for our campaigns or our convention. I think you are confusing us with the Republicans and the Democrats.

As for as time, it is ours to, as you describe it, "waste".

To spread the message of limited, constitutional government so that one day we may have a rebirth of freedom in the United States of America. As the old proverb states, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

#7 KenH, May 24, 2008
  8. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

They do have one good point tho, one of them said that "when I become president" that he would push for term limits on supreme court justices, congressmen, and senators. The problem tho is that congress will never vote to limit their time on their jobs or limit their power.

AJ

9. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Are you telling me that they dont get any of the money designated for political campaigns?

Uh Oh....Ruwart just said that marriage should be abolished and partnership contracts should take their place. Ummmm, the Bible sanctions marriage, and it was always between a man and a woman.

Now Root is ranting about the definition of marriage, endorsing gay marriage.....all of them are endorsing it. That right there is enough for me to turn them off....and I just did.

AJ

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is correct. Not a single penny.

As I have stated, I believe in the complete separation of marriage and state. Marriage is a matter for churches.

Legal partnerships are not a matter for churches. I have no problem with people being able to organize their personal affairs as they wish through the legal system.

As far as the debate is concerned, I think that Mary Ruwart is the best speaker and Bob Barr has the best name recognition. I hope that Bob Barr wins the presidential nomination tomorrow and that Mary Ruwart wins the vice presidential nomination.

#10 KenH, May 24, 2008
  11. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Well, the way they were advocating aboilishing marriage and replacing it with "partnership contracts", and saying that the gender of the two people entering into the contract is not relavent??????....I am glad taxpayer money is not supporting such ridiculous and unbiblical notions.

AJ

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think that taxpayers' money should be funding any particular political viewpoint, or any particular religious viewpoint for that matter.

13. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Well, i dont know anything about either one of them except for the little I heard tonight, and what I read on the LP website.......but......ANYBODY would be better than Obama.

AJ

14. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

They were just talking about repealing all the gun laws and one guy said something like "If we want real freedom then we need to not look to congress for it....we need to look to Smith & Wesson"

That is comical.

AJ

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "It's quicker to pull your Smith and Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed." - Lieutenant Lowell Duckett (Pres., Black Police Caucus, Special Assistant to Washington, D.C. Police Chief)

16. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Yes, but it is pretty common to reference a S&W when discussing opposition to a robber, but it is strange and scary to hear someone reference a S&W when discussing opposition to the US Congress.

Just MHO

AJ

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the purposes for Amendment II is to protect the people from aggression by government. The right to bear arms is a right of the people, not the government.

By the way, ajg1959, I appreciate you watching the LP presidential candidates debate. :)

#17 KenH, May 24, 2008
  18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally, I agree with President Jefferson:

"Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of himself. Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others? Or have we found angels in the form of kings to govern him? Let history answer this question." - Thomas Jefferson: 1st Inaugural, 1801

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "So the challenge for this year’s Libertarian nominee is this: There’s widespread disillusionment with both parties. Ron Paul tapped into some of that in the Republican primaries and demonstrated that a libertarian candidate could raise a lot of money. Some 15 to 20 percent of the voters — 18 million to 24 million voters in 2004 — hold libertarian views. Those libertarian voters have previously demonstrated their willingness to vote for third-party candidates. In 2006, they swung sharply away from Republican candidates, yet the leading Democrats aren’t offering much to libertarian-minded voters. Perhaps most strikingly, 44 percent of voters said yes to Zogby’s question, “Would you describe yourself as fiscally conservative and socially liberal, also known as libertarian?” So there would seem to be a huge potential audience for a Libertarian candidate who could raise money, get media attention, create online buzz, and present a compelling and articulate case for peace, freedom, and limited government." - David Boaz

- rest at www.cato-at-liberty.org/2008/05/23/libertarian-voters-and-the-libertarian-party/#more-3677