1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by mjohnson7, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

This has nothing to do with "eating our own"....its about not just sweeping things under the rug, and feeding our people to unrepentant false teachers, the way you are apparently in favor of doing..

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, I agree. I enjoyed his lectures, and the few sermons I saw, but he was more show than substance.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I may need to apologize to you - I thought you were referring to his bio and misrepresenting his experiences - which I believe belongs in the area of local church discipline. You are right that we should speak out in our churches about false doctrines.

4. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

If you intentionally lie in the pulpit, you are a false teacher.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand what you are saying. I posted elsewhere that it bothered me when pastors presented false stories as fact to illustrate a sermon. Several that I know of have used the one about a military ship used for civilian cruises, and there are many others out there. Essentially these pastors are lying – I just didn’t consider them to be false teachers because what they were actually “teaching” – the point – was not the illustration, their personal story, etc. But I do see what you mean and they are all, in this sense, false teachers.

I haven’t followed Caner since he left Liberty. What church does he pastor?

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JonC asked at what church does Ergun Caner pastor. He doesn't pastor at all. He is the provost and vice president of academic affairs at Arlington Baptist College in Texas. It's amicro institution.He also teaches Church History. But he can't keep his own history straight,much less teach accurate church history due to his hyper-anti-Calvinistic stance. And he refuses to be corrected.

Since being relieved of his duties at Libery Seminary he still "preaches" to crowds of the unknowing. He doesn't advertize his whereabouts. He just tweets after-the-fact about his "successful" gigs at various churches which have given him a forum for his antics...er,ah, messages.

Guess who the president of the college is? D.L. Moody! :)

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was just wondering. I knew he always said that he was not called to be a pastor and didn’t have the patience to deal with people.

So the conclusion is that Arlington Baptist College should encouraged by the “Church” to administratively correct him, other local churches should be disciplined (I assume, by the “Church”) for allowing him in the pulpit (the pastor is responsible for his flock – and who they invite to speak), Caner’s pastor should be disciplined for not exercising discipline on him, and Caner should be forced to repent publicly to the “Church” not because he teaches false doctrine but because he lied about his background. All of this is being accomplished through the” love” of Christ but whether or not Caner, his local church, the unrepentant pastors, and the Baptist college will obey remains to be seen.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. No one knows what all has been done with him.

2. It is not anyone's business

3. Regardless of what he has done the attitude of those who wants him destroyed needs to be equally disciplined. It is no less a sin and is just as serious an offense.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably because nothing has been done with him; otherwise there would have been a very needed public apology for all the harm he has done to the cause of Christ by his serial lying and unChristain pulpit conduct.
    Of course it is. He did this all in public view. Over 200,000 books of his and Emir's have been sold and many more CDs,tapes etc. He has "preached' in front of tens of thousands over the years. He was Dean of Libery molding men and women. He offered his "expertise" to the military. Yeah,it certainly is our business!
    You keep using the word "destroyed". It's like your fixation or something.

But although the Scripture I will give you deals with another kind of sin it may have bearing in brother Ergun's case.

"Hand this man over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved on the day of the Lord." 1 Cor. 5:5 NIV

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: I've been waiting for some here to bring out the scales to see if Caner weighs the same as a duck....

11. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [british accent]THROW 'IM INTO THE POND!!!![/british accent]

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is truly scary. Why isn't he defrocked & sent packing. One consider any edu that is provided by this guy as false & a waste of money & time.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It wasn't his doctrine that was objectionable (beyond the normal theological disagreements)- it was the truthfulness of his bio (exactly how "Muslim" was he before he became a Christian). Many who think that he discredited himself by misrepresenting his background do not have any issues with his teaching (to include his assessment of Islam).

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup::thumbsup: That's the gist of it :smilewinkgrin:

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or I should say [british accent] Come and see the violence inherent in the system.[british accent] :smilewinkgrin: