1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured LIberty University Lifts Hands and Praises God!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Some of the old fashioned hymns are so unscriptural they should be torn out of the hymn book.

Trust and Obey, for example-

"While we do his good will,
    He abides with us still

And with all who will trust and obey."

If we applied the same stringent doctrinal and "background check" requirements to the accepted hymns as we do to the CCM, the hymnbook would be much thinner.

2. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey OT from another ot...

...Of course, since I started this discussion thread, I am neutral, mostly because I love both the old tyme hymns and CCM.

I personally think the info link you provided was exceptional; I loved the info found in it; and I personally thank you.

Again, for the sake of argument, I am probably a rare type of individual, as I am drawn to many different genres of music, both church and secular, so I have no problem worshiping God either way.

And for those who think CCM is repetitive and maybe a violation to "the code of 'good' Christian music" let me point out a few verses from Revelation 4:8-11 (NIV) "Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under its wings. Day and night they never stop saying: ‘Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come.” Whenever the living creatures give glory, honor and thanks to him who sits on the throne and who lives for ever and ever, 10 the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne and say: 'You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power,
    for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.”

Sounds quite repetitive to me? Also Rev. 7:9-11
    gets a little repetitive, too, in what seems to be another worship chant. Also the angels, in Rev. 14:3 sing without ceasing around the throne?

I hate to punch holes in anyones ideas, but I don't believe the Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran or Assembly of God hymnals will be used in heaven.

I think what I see going on here is simply preference, and there is nothing wrong with have a preferred genre.

But, "When we all, get to heaven" all bets are off! I know there will be 24/7 [if in fact we go by some kind of clock up there] singing and praising and worship going on around the throne of God, and I believe we'll all be part of that in one way or another (MHO).

This has turned out to be a great discussion thread, much better than I ever imagined when I started it a few days ago.

I never imagined I was going to kick up dust about the different kinds of praise and worship music, but I have thoroughly enjoyed all the great points made.

SHALOM!!!​
    :thumbs:

3. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I agree with you that everything we sing should be held to the same theological measure.

The problem is, that's not an "old fashioned" hymn. It's a gospel song from Sunday School hymnody. It's not traditional hymnody. You won't find much bad theology in traditional hymnody.

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The hymn Wayne Grudem commends as exemplifying chapter 25 in his Systematic Theology? ["The Covenants" also chapter 38, "Sanctification"]

http://books.google.ca/books?id=DA8xl4eagDcC&pg=PA524&dq="hymn trust and obey"

Shows you how much he knows about scripturalness.