1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Liberty University MA degree

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Peggy, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Peggy

Peggy New Member

I'm applying to Liberty because for personal enrichment and a Master's degree in either Religion or Theological Studies.

Any feedback on Liberty's program?

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Martin got a degree there (and decided to go back for more studies). He speaks very highly of them.

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

They are great! I am doing an M.Div. with a Biblical Studies concentration at Liberty. I just hope you like writing and research. My Evangelism and Church Growth class that I just completed, required (4) 3 page essays, a 20 page research project, plus a several hundred word Discussion board post (these DB posts are weekly: in other words, there were 6 of these). That was on top of weekly reading and quizzes. All of this in an 8 week format.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heard no complains of the program, so one thumb up.

Two thumbs for Maranatha Baptist Seminary's new programs. Fully accredited and fully IFB (quite distinct in philosophy from Liberty).

They have MA 100% on line.

http://www.mbbc.edu/seminary/

Compare it and shop around for the best fit for YOU.

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I completed my seminary studies through Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary (Master of Arts Religion). It is an excellent program. The only difference I can see between the MA Religion and MA Theological Studies is hours. The MAR is 45 hours while the MATS is 36 hours. If you might be interested in doing a MDiv degree at some point, the MAR is probably a better option. However if this will be a terminal religion/seminary degree for you than the MATS is your best option.

God bless you in your studies!!

If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me. I am more than willing to provide you with any information I can. :thumbs:

6. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

I did the B.S.R., M.A.R. & M.Div. all through DLP / Online and it was a great experience. Excellent professors, course facilitators often now online and equally great; rigorous standards but very convenient, so long as you stick to the Blackboard timelines etc. I am well studied and would stack up those degrees next to their counterparts from any school.

One note on that: Liberty's focus, in the School of Religion and Seminary, at least in my experience, is on making Pastor / Teachers in their online programs. Scholarly, yes, but certainly geared toward the practice of "theology in the trenches" of pastoral ministry. Getting very intense in original languages, for example, is difficult online, they require "language tools" classes online that are valuable but train you well at say a "level 1" understanding of Greek & Hebrew as opposed to the 3-5 level (5 being the highest in this example...) that you would come out of Dallas Seminary with a Th.M.

Great programs, the administration staff is great, the support you'll receive from the financial & advising offices are wonderful.

I am at Temple Baptist Now for the D.Min. in Pastoral Leadership and they have similar programs, delivery, and format. Liberty was a major part of my life for more than 6 years while on active duty in the military and full time ministry, if you have any specific questions, just ask...

Blessings!

#6 PilgrimPastor, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2010
  7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I graduated from Liberty for my undergraduate coursework. It is a fine school that will prepare you well for the task God has given you.

Also, from what I recall, their distance learning is quite good and really setting a standard for many other colleges and universities to follow. Online/Distance enrollment is like 30,000+. And to think, it all started with Dr. Harld Willimgton, cassette tapes, and books written in outline ad infinitum...;)

Really I respect and appreciate the education I received at Liberty. It prepared me for many things. Now that said I'll offer a cavaet, I also had to supplement my education with courses from other institutions to better round me out theologically/intellectually. There is still a prevailing spirit of anti-intellectualism regarding some topics. It is there but is slowly being squished. Let us not forget it has only been two years since Dr. Falwell's death...and he is burried on the grounds.