1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Liberty University

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by RockRambler, Feb 14, 2005.

1. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Hoping there are some on board who have attended Liberty University or at least know more about it than I do.

I was told the other day that Liberty for a long time didn't teach or at least looked down on psychology courses, thinking psychology to be of the devil. Then, according to this person, they started embracing it more and now teach it.

Anybody heard this before?

2. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

I'm currently attending Liberty (I will graduate in May) and to my knowledge they don't believe psychology to be of the devil. In fact, they offer a B.S. in Psychology and several graduate degrees in psychology and counseling.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Falwell has always been worldly with his scheming ways of fundraising and drawing money from communities where he is on TV so he can ride in his jet and build a campus of big buildings.

He is a schemer instead of praying and waiting on God for that money. His true colors came out with Baaker.

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Falwell has always been worldly with his scheming ways of fundraising and drawing money from communities where he is on TV so he can ride in his jet and build a campus of big buildings. "

==The buildings of Liberty are needed. The school is growing and needs those big buildings. There is nothing wrong with fundraising so the students who attend Liberty can do so in quality buildings and programs. Thanks to Falwell Liberty is growing and reaching students that most seminaries are afraid to reach (ie..the real external degree program). Personally I am very greatful to God for the ministry of Dr Falwell. Thanks to him I have been able to get my first Masters degree (this summer). He has build a quality school in Liberty University.

Martin.

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I graduated from good ole LU in 2001 and dealt with the counseling staff quite in depth for my 4 years there (not for my own problems) since I was on a student review board for those youngsters who had the opportunity of attending LU removed because of something they had done.

Anyhoo...their physchology dept is very good and has been so for quite some time. Its a great school and has been well respected in the LU community and around the state of VA for some time now. I'd check it out!

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Falwell has always been worldly with his scheming ways of fundraising and drawing money from communities where he is on TV so he can ride in his jet and build a campus of big buildings.

He is a schemer instead of praying and waiting on God for that money. His true colors came out with Baaker

This is really unneeded. Falwell is a good man and has done more for the Kingdom than most people in the history of Christianity, and I'm not talking a numbers thing either. He is a bold visionary for God and a shining star for what is good in Christianity. Running him into the ground with such pointless and foolish rhetoric is simply evil.

The simple fact is Falwell doesn't own any jets or big cars. He doesn't own multiple houses or expensive things. Go to LU and show me where money raised is abused and thrown into vaccuous voids commonly referred to as empty buildings. Every cent makes a difference for the Kingdom on that campus. He is a simple man of God who has a worldwide ministry that positively affects lives every week. You might want to know somebody before launching into such ridiculous criticisms.

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My criticism of Falwell has do with what he says (gays are the reason we where attacked on 9/11) and the fact that he presents his brand of Christianity as the only brand of Christianity that is correct. Which it isn't! Not everything he does is awful (home for unwed mothers) if he would just not say anything.

8. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I'm possibly going to enroll in their distance learning program for my MA in Religion. I have heard nothing but good about the university.

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I'm possibly going to enroll in their distance learning program for my MA in Religion. I have heard nothing but good about the university. "

I am earning my MAR from Liberty (I will finish this summer). It is a great program, with great professors, classes, and staff. If you enroll in Liberty I am sure you will be blessed by your educational experience.

God Bless you in your studies!
    Martin.

"My criticism of Falwell has do with what he says (gays are the reason we where attacked on 9/11) and the fact that he presents his brand of Christianity as the only brand of Christianity that is correct."

Dr Falwell's comments about 9/11 cannot be disproven. Surely anyone who has read the Old Testament understands that God uses various means to bring judgment upon sinful people/nations. Since God is sovereign He allowed 9/11 to happen for a reason. We maynot know that reason for sure, but we cannot rule out what Falwell said.

Thanks
    Martin.