1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Liberty

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by RandR, Jul 27, 2004.

1. RandR

RandR New Member

The Liberty grads around here might be interested to know that your Chancellor has again raised more than a few eyebrows with SACS.

When your president--who got you OUT of trouble with SACS and is still very much involved in SACS--steps down because your oldest son (Vice Chancellor, head legal counsel, real estate developer, et al.) is running the school, and when you decide that you're just not going to have a president, that really doesn't help an already tenuous relationship with your accrediting agency.

2. aefting

aefting New Member

For the non-Liberty grads around here, could you explain what you're talking about?

Andy

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm lost here, too. :confused: :confused:

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

seeing as I'm one of the only LU grads here, and one that is still plugged into the administration at my wonderful alma mater, I'm not so sure the voracity of your statements are as bad as you might wish to make them out to be.

While LU is not going to a traditional president model, rather they have changed to a CEO model for the university leadership. LU still holds full accreditation with SACS and TRACS and that hasn't changed, nor is it to change soon. I really wouldn't worry too much about the future of the school, the best days are clearly ahead of LU.

As for our chancellor, I'd be worried if he wasn't raising eyebrows...God makes some men to do just that all their days

5. RandR

RandR New Member

aefting and Bob,

Some history:
    Liberty has a tenuous history with SACS. At one point in the early/mid 90s, with its accreditation in serious jeopardy, Falwell hired Borek (not a Baptist, but well connected and very respected in SACS circles) to be President and to come in and oversee the salvaging of the school's accreditation. Which he did.

But Liberty (and everything TRBC related) has always been a "family business." So when it became apparent that Jerry Jr. was going to be running the university from his Vice Chancellor position, Borek resigned.

Here's where SACS comes back into the picture. Jerry Jr has a couple other jobs. Jerry has a couple of other jobs. But SACS requires that SOMEBODY have the full-time job of overseeing the university. (How nitpicky of them.)

So in a few weeks, Jerry will relinquish the "Senior Pastor" title of Thomas Road to Jonathan (Falwell) and focus all of his energies on Liberty. The move is desinged to satisfy SACS. But many of Borek's colleagues (and SACS exec. comm. members) are skeptical about the situation, to say the least.

Stay tuned...

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So when it became apparent that Jerry Jr. was going to be running the university from his Vice Chancellor position, Borek resigned.

This is not the reason Borek resigned. Also I'd be curious to hear your sources for this speculation.

7. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

falwell is resigning as senior pastor? This is new for me. I know he once named Jonathan as the most likely candidate after his death but not until then.

8. RandR

RandR New Member

preachin',

I want to see Liberty succeed and be well respected as much as you if not more, so please don't think I'm just another Liberty basher or Falwell hater. Too much time and energy invested over too many years to wish anything but long term success.

I will conceed to you that nowhere has Borek publicly cited that as his reson for resigning. So forgive my conjecture. Just please understand that my conclusions are drawn from 25 years of observation, participation, and historical perspictive. I recall well when Liberty was "Lynchburg Baptist College," when classes met in Thomas Road classrooms, and students lived in bunkhouses on the island. I believe I have earned the right to make objective critiques.

GODzThunder,
    That's the story.
    You're right, he's said it often.
    But giving up a title isn't the same thing as giving up control. Also, realize that giving up the title at the church is necessary to Liberty's accreditation if this model (no President) is what he wants to pursue for Liberty.