1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Licensing Questions

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by APuritanMindset, Nov 25, 2004.

1. APuritanMindset

APuritanMindset New Member

Any, particularily Southern Baptist but not limited to that, who is licensed. Were you asked questions by your pastor and deacons. And if so, what types of questions were you asked? Give examples please. I am meeting with my pastor nd deacons soon and would like some kind of idea on what I might be able to expect.

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I haven't been licensed, but I've seen the questioning process many times.

Extensive questions on doctrines--particularly salvation, Jesus, virgin birth, grace, resurrection of Jesus, Biblical belief, eternal salvation, etc. etc. etc.

Ordinances: Baptism and Lord's supper.

It is good to have some scriptural examples for each of these. You might use the SBC faith and message to get some ideas about where scripture can be found.

Whether or not you are from another Baptist denomination (and I see you are SBC, so these should work good for you), the Faith and Message contains extensive referencing to scripture that can help you.

In SBC, you will be unlikely to be asked tribulation and rapture questions, except that the Lord will return some day and people will be judged.

Some churches may ask if Genesis 1 to 11 is literal, but this depends on how conservative your church is and the people asking the questions.

Most will probably just cover basic salvation doctrines, Jesus, his sinless life, virgin birth, death on cross, ressurection and the process of salvation.

Like I said, I haven't been through it, but when I was younger most were carried on in front of the entire church; so I saw quite a few.

I doubt you have to have every scripture, but refer to some now and then. Not necessary where to find it, at least have some of the basic doctrinal scriptures in your mind.

Most I have seen have allowed the person being asked the questions to use their Bible and sometimes they would bookmark and open to certain places to back up some of their answers.

[ November 26, 2004, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: Phillip ]

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

SBC Faith and Message can be found on my sadly outdated website:

http://www.baptist-church.org/sbmf.html

It contains the scripture references. Pay particular attention to the "doctrines". But, it wouldn't be a bad idea to read through the whole thing before the questions.

4. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Congrats on the licensure.

I don't know how your church will work but from what I've seen the ordination board is the one that drills you. I guess it depends on your pastor. Some churches will give it to someone after they are called when they feel the candidate is serious about it.

If they do question you don't be afraid to say "I don't know". I'm not saying not to study, but its better to say I don't know then to come up with something off the top of your head.

However, I will probably be corrected because I am somewhat new to the Baptist church.

In Christ,

Brooks

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was asked questions by the pastor, deacons and congregation. Everything was out in the open.