1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lieberman Blasts Democrats on Over Partisan-Driven Foreign Policy

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by leesw, Nov 12, 2007.

1. leesw

leesw Member

Sen. Joe Lieberman on Thursday painted a dim picture of his party, saying Democrats have given up their moral authority on foreign policy because they are more concerned with opposing Republicans than doing what is right. I have bolded some of his strongest quotes.

"For many Democrats, the guiding conviction in foreign policy isn't pacifism or isolationism, it is distrust and disdain of Republicans in general, and President Bush in particular," Lieberman said at Johns Hopkins University's School of Advanced International Studies.

"I felt strongly that Democrats should embrace the basic framework that the president articulated for the War on Terror as our own -- because it was our own. It was our legacy ... But that was not the choice most Democrats made. Instead, they flip-flopped." Lieberman said Democrats "aren't being guided by principle, but partisanship."

"In this regard, the Democratic foreign policy worldview has become defined by the same reflexive, blind opposition to the President that defined Republicans in the 1990s — even when it means repudiating the very principles and policies that Democrats as a party have stood for, at our best and strongest," Lieberman continued.

"Even as evidence has mounted that General Petraeus' new counterinsurgency strategy is succeeding, Democrats have remained emotionally invested in a narrative of defeat and retreat in Iraq, reluctant to acknowledge the progress we are now achieving, or even that that progress has enabled us to begin drawing down our troops there," he added.

In this Democrats have given us a "case study in the distrust and partisan polarization that now poisons our body politic on even the most sensitive issues of national security."

"There is something profoundly wrong — something that should trouble all of us — when we have elected Democratic officials who seem more worried about how the Bush administration might respond to Iran's murder of our troops, than about the fact that Iran is murdering our troops.

"There is likewise something profoundly wrong when we see candidates who are willing to pander to this politically paranoid, hyper-partisan sentiment in the Democratic base, even if it sends a message of weakness and division to the Iranian regime," Lieberman said in a thinly veiled swipe at Clinton's Democratic challengers.

Full Story

Digg this story

2. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Go Joe! :thumbs:

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lieberman has been a closet Republican.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Republicans have given up their moral authority on foreign policy because they are more concerned with opposing Democrats than doing what is right.

Lieberman would fit right in with the neo-con wing of the Republican Party.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Democrats need to be thankful for his integrity.

He could alter the balance of power in the Senate by changing parties. How he votes is not as important as his declaration that he is a democrat.

Actually,I don't know why he bothers. The democrat party worked hard to unseat him in the last election. They turned on him. He has not turned on them.

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

7. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I guess it takes one to know one. Like Alan Dershowitz, Leiberman believes that Islam's threat to Israel, as well as the United States, should be everyone's main concern. Unfortunately, another attack on the U.S. is less of an issue to Democrats than defeating the Republicans and getting back the White House. It will be interesting to see who, if anyone, Joe endorses for president. In his heart I believe, like Dershowitz, he hopes Giuliani wins.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then I guess I will have to disappoint Dershowitz and Lieberman as I am an American and my main concern is the security of these United States, not that of Israel or any other foreign nation. In my opinion, I think that it is treasonous for an American to think otherwise.

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I agree with what Carpro posted. As for Dershowitz, I'm surprised he thinks anything is America's great concern. And Ken is somewhat right: America's security is our #1 concern, yet one of the major threats to that security is terrorism. Ken and I would likely agree that our swiss-cheese border security isn't helping. I'll stop speaking for Ken now :)

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Preach it, brother! Preach on!! :)

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Well, okay Ken, you asked for it...

How can Democrats and Republicans claim to love this country and want our security, yet refuse to do anything about border security and immigration reform? Why? Because they care more about beating each other than beating our enemies and securing domestic tranquility. I guess once again I'm giving an amen to Carpro.

Take Gov. Spitzer of NY. You have him proposing the (and Hillary Clinton has drawn fire for her interpreted support of) giving of driver's licenses to illegals or anyone without regard to citizenship. Trust me, yeah....great idea. A form of that was tried in Tennessee (by the Cato praised Bredesen) and it was a colossal failure. So much so, the legislature finally scrapped the plan when Bredesen's party lost its grip.

Oh well...I have reading to do. Carry on :) Thanks for the encouragment, Ken :thumbs:

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can also include that Republicans want their cheap labor for their business buddies and the Democrats want their votes.

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

The list would be endless :(

14. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He fits the classic definition of a neo-con--a liberal Jew who became a conservative Republican and betrayed the Democrat Party.

Of course, we have to ignore the fact that here is one Jew who saw that the Democrats wanted to abandon President Truman's help for Israel knowing full well that a withdrawal of help for Israel means another holocaust. What is it that liberals say--oh, don't you "true believers" believe that God is able to save the Jews so the USA can turn its back and let the Arabs do what Germany did?

15. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

Agreed!

My first thought, when reading this is that Lieberman should resign his Senate seat and go back to Israel, where he belongs. He has constantly held Israel's needs higher that the needs of the country he as sworn to protect. Treasonous indeed!

16. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Democrats under Democrat President Harry Truman first extended US protection to Israel. The modern Democrats have forgotten their obligations stemming from World War II, over which they themselves presided with overwhelming majorities. Besides, Jews are 98% Democrats, and liberal Democrats at that. The only other groups so overwhelmingly Democrat are Blacks and Homosexuals.

17. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

You forgot hispanics.

18. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hispanics have split off to the GOP, just as other Catholics have divided themselves between the two parties. Cubans are nearly 100% Republican because they remember JFK's betrayal of them at the Bay of Pigs when his promised air support was withdrawn during the battle. I would say that Catholics are only a slight majority for the Democrats, down from Civil War days when all Catholics were Democrats.

19. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Thank God for great Americans like Lieberman!:thumbs: Forsaking Israel is uUnAmerican.

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Putting the security of Israel on a par or above the security of these United States is treasonous for an American to do.