1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Life as a Teacher

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Bible-boy, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

After being interviewed by the school administration, the eager teaching prospect said;

"Let me see if I've got this right.

You want me to go into that room with all those kids and fill their every waking moment with a love for learning. And I'm supposed to instill a sense of pride in their ethnicity, modify their disruptive behavior, observe them for signs of abuse and even censor their T-shirt messages and dress habits.
    You want me to wage a war on drugs and sexually transmitted diseases, check their backpacks for weapons of mass destruction, and raise their self esteem.
    You want me to teach them patriotism, good citizenship, sportsmanship, and fair play, how and where to register to vote, how to balance a checkbook, and how to apply for a job.
    I am to check their heads for lice, maintain a safe environment, recognize signs of antisocial behavior, offer advice, write letters of recommendation for student employment and scholarships, encourage respect for the cultural diversity of others, and, oh yeah, always make sure that I give the girls in my class 50 percent of my attention.
    My contract requires me to work on my own time after school and evenings grading papers. Also, I must spend my summer vacation at my own expense, working toward advance certification and a Master's degree. And on my own time you want me to attend committee and faculty meetings, PTA meetings, and participate in staff development training.
    I am to be a paragon of virtue, larger than life, such that my very presence will awe my students into being obedient and respectful of authority. And I am to pledge allegiance to family values and this current administration.
    You want me to incorporate technology into the learning experience, monitor web sites, and relate personally with each student. That includes deciding who might be potentially dangerous and/or liable to commit a crime in school.
    I am to make sure all students pass the state mandatory exams, even those who don't come to school regularly or complete any of their assignments. Plus, I am to make sure that all of the students with handicaps get an equal education regardless of the extent of their mental or physical handicap.
    And I am to communicate regularly with the parents by letter, telephone, newsletter, and report card.
    All of this I am to do with just a piece of chalk, a computer, a few books, a bulletin board, and a big smile AND on a starting salary that qualifies my family for food stamps!
    You want me to do all of this, and then you tell me NOT TO PRAY?"

2. Servent

Servent Member

A-men I work for a school district.

3. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

If school starts the first week of September, that list will get you through...oh...about Thursday. [​IMG] I taught for 15 years and that is about right.

4. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having taught in Aus for over 25 years .. belive me, i know the incentive to pray ... no board can stop it [​IMG]

Do teach mostly adults though. the problems are different but every bit as serious.

Regards
    Bob

5. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

After teaching eleven years in public schools, I can understand what W.C Fields meant in his reply to a question in one of his movies: "What's the matter, mister--don't you like children?" "Only if properly cooked." :D

This year, though, I do have some very good and likeable kids--thank God! [​IMG]