1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Life changing experience

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by noregrets1987, Aug 12, 2007.

1. noregrets1987

noregrets1987 New Member

I just had a life changing experience that I thought that I would share. Been dating this girl almost 11 months and she is the one I want to marry. We are from different faiths, Baptist (me) Disciples of Christ (her) I'm still learning what we both believe. we had a huge fight and almost broke up for good. then I prayed to god asking for help and I turned on my mp3 player and this song camp up. Never heard it before, a Christ song that started in the lyrics, Love her like she is. Love her like Jesus.

Amazing how God works?

2. Joe

Joe New Member

Hello

Sounds like you are pretty crazy for this girl.
    I have a question. Did you purchase any songs from apple itunes recently?

Last time I bought a song from itunes, it "threw" an ACDC song called highway to hell on my ipod. Yet this song is not LISTED in my itunes library nor is it listed on my ipod.It attatched itself to the end of a christian song. I loved AC/DC In high school.
    I also prayed prior to grabbing my ipod also yet I can't see god using ACDC to tell me I am on the highway to hell.

I don't know your girlfriend's religious beliefs. You two are from different belief systems which may cause division down the road. Which faith is your children going to be brought up with? Will you all attend different churches? When you learn more about the Bible, you may not understand her beliefs as christian, and may want to convert her. I see trouble, and hope you spend at least a year or more dating before getting married. And I am not confident this is a sign from god concerning your ipod.

I wish you both the best, blessings to you

Joe

#2 Joe, Aug 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2007
  3. Mr.M

Mr.M New Member

You're blaming God for a song that came up on your IPod? I doubt God is amused that you have forged His signature on this scheme of yours.

Pal, God gave you a brain, use it. You are succumbing to one of the oldest systems of voodooism, superstition and suckerism practiced and preached by Christians. One Satan long ago introduced as an alternative to sound doctrine and mature reason in the faith. It's popularity is so widespread now that it needs little help from Lucifer seeing that it has fully infiltrated our doctrines and practices and is now sanctioned by many popular Evangelical Teachers.

Friend, maybe to day you will hate me and call me a party pooper but take the idea you have, the experience you have had and erase God's name, he didn't sign this one and it isn't his.

He gave YOU the responsibility of making the decision who to marry and who not to marry. He doesn't make it for you and he doesn't use silly tricks and gimmicks to communicate to you regarding His principles. It is up to you to learn the Word of God, take it in, mature and build up capacity for decision making as a mature believer and take responsibility for those decisions. That is faith. Trusting the principles of God resident in your soul that have produce maturity and capacity for decision making.

Whether you date or marry this woman is on you, not God.

You are only practicing a very poisonous form of Christian superstition/voodooism.

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

There are times when God does allow to experience things that let us know plainly that where He stands on an issue. I've experienced it more than once, BUT, my experience never ever contradicts the written word of God.

The written word of God tells us not to be unequally yoked together. That's plain and though we generally think of it as meaning not marrying non-Christians, in praticalitiy it works for not marrying those of other denoms as well.

There is nothing that will destroy a marriage faster than to be married to someone that does not believe the way you believe. It will cause strife in places you never thought it could cause problems. And one of Satan's biggest tricks is to say, "you'll work it out later, it'll be fine!"

Let's go back to your fight. Assuming it was over an actual difference of belief and not something irrelevant like where to go for lunch, why argue? Instead, grab your Bibles and sit down together and see what the Word has to say about the issue.

5. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

AN important thing you need to know is that the Disciples of Christ teach salvation through or with baptism as an essential part of salvation, depending on how strict and adamantly they hold to thier false doctrine.

I was saved out of a similar branch, and have looked enough into the history to know it is not a denomination of God, not a true church if salvation is believed to be of works (baptism).

You need to address this issue with her, for most I knew from my old church, never trusted IN Christ to save them alone, but in bapitsm to save along with Christ. At the same time, my wife was also attending that church (but she was saved at another before joining there - this was while we were dating). I was blessed to find a girl and she was a wonderful match and we both grew in grace and knowledge specifically concerning the doctrines of the Disciples of Christ and the followers of Alexander Campbell. We were both directed through Bible study to a Baptist church and beliefs and have been there since (in the meantime being married and having children as well!).

I understand your desire to have a good wife and the fact that you care for this girl. But don't let an ipod guide you.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think you are ignorant in how can and does speak to us. Did he give you divine revelation the song was NOT meant for him?

7. Mr.M

Mr.M New Member

Seemingly, the weighty discernment represented in my post is too great for your boat, sorry to see you sinking so fast. But to answer your question, YES God did give me, you and everyone else a divine revelation to discern when such foolishness is and isn't of God, it is called The Bible. And in this case, forging God's name on this childish scheme to turn an IPOD song into God's sanctioning of a relationship was quite contrary to that revelation and easily discernible, that is for those who don't use the Scriptures to their own destruction and then, well they usually oppose such enlightenment.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You must have thought Baalam's donkey speaking was pretty "foolish", too.... :laugh:

BTW...I can't find your church listed in your profile (1st Orthodox Protestant Baptist Church :confused:)...almost like it's a made up church where you threw a bunch of names together to post on the BB. Can you supply a source showing you are indeed a baptist, and not a troll?

9. Mr.M

Mr.M New Member

No, Baalam's donkey was during a different protocol for believers and the nature of revelation. However, I believe I might be speaking to one of Balaam's offspring.

Your ignorance is amazing. Simply because you have not heard of a denomination you don't believe it exists, nor any of its affiliated churches. My my what a tiny world you have indeed.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So enlighten me...source for your church? Until one is supplied, I will assume you are a troll the way you talk to everyone here on the BB with your pathetic insults.

11. Mr.M

Mr.M New Member

Let's see, I am a troll because because I insult everyone but in the midst of your complain you insult me and call me pathetic.

As far as my church and denomination, let me make it clear, I don't answer to you and only your kind of arrogance would assume so. But little one, God gave me big shoulders to carry your likes so PM an address to which I can mail you an ample amount of literature about my church and the denomination that will fill you with days of reading. I await a demonstration of your integrity and honesty with the PM. I am sure I won't be handed an excuse.

But what a shame and how dare you imply I am otherwise without any evidence. That my friend is the work of evil and the evil one, the ACCUSER.

#11 Mr.M, Aug 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2007
  12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Don't you know how the PM function works? I don't give you a "pm address". You can PM me the info if you want. BTW, I called your insults pathetic (add "little one" to that list...I'm 6'1", 218)...not you, but your behavior here on the BB warrants the troll label. You should know the difference.

13. Mr.M

Mr.M New Member

I said PM me an address...meaning send me an address in a PM to which I can MAIL...SNAILMAIL..>STAMPED MAIL an ample amount of literature. You know a street address, city, state and zipcode. NOT yours personally but maybe to YOUR CHURCH and your Pastor can get it and give it to you. Got that little one?

Tsk tsk.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Don't call me "litte one" again. Leave the inflammatory language out of the BB.
    Why can't you just supply a link to your church, or at least a location? Funny, a google search doesn't bring it up. I will not give you my home address. If you can't do it in this medium, that speaks volumes :rolleyes:

15. Mr.M

Mr.M New Member

Oh wait, let me guess, every church and every denomination MUST have a website to be valid in your mind. What a tiny tiny world you have. I have offered you a means to ample literature. Either you want it or you don't. For now, go back to the topic at hand per the rules of BB. Got it? Good, then obey.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't want literature. Anybody can get as much literature as they want. The fact your church doesn't have a web site, and you can't give me it's location only goes to fuel my suspicion that you are not a baptist, but are here on the BB to spread vitriol only. Even Google can pull up phone book information...so if it can't do that with your church, chance is it doesn't exist. The very least an association would help (IFB, SBC, etc.). I won't be holding my breathe, though.

17. Mr.M

Mr.M New Member

Back to the TOPIC at hand. You need to OBEY the rules here okay? If you are going to preach BB rules obey them back to the TOPIC. But to satisfy you I don't give out personal information on the internet...a rule you should have learned a decade ago. BACK to the TOPIC.

18. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nice way to ruin a thread.

Mr M - I will pm you and expect an answer about your church.

NOW, stick with the subject. I would not want my WORST ENEMY to marry a gal who was Disciples of Christ. Horrendous decision. Let's talk about it.

BTW, getting "confirmation" from a song lyric is not wise. Look in the Word of God

19. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Thank you Dr. Bob!

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was under the impression the OP was about hearing God speak. God does speak to us, through songs, people, His Word, etc. I don't see anywhere in the OP where he was looking for God's confirmation in a song, but heard a song that dealt with a specific situation. For anybody to come along and say that they know for certain this was NOT God speaking to them is taking it upon themselves to speak for God. While I don't agree with DOC, I'm certain there are believers within their denomination, and we are to love even those outside our denom's.