1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Life Elsewhere in the Universe

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by saturneptune, Apr 23, 2012.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Your last sentence is an excellent point that this thread has made me think more about. Without drawing definite conclusions, it appears from what our minds can understand that any life would be a status something less than the image of God. Of course, that would assume this life needed a Savior because of sin, or in fact, if there is sin, is the Lord obligated to be fair about it and save them since He saved us?

Also, and this would be way beyond my understanding, if there was a need for atonement, would it have to be the same pattern as ours?

Another thought that crossed my mind, does intelligence necessarily equate to being created in the image of God. For example, demons are very intelligent, but they are not created in the image of God. In other words, could there be a civilization of highly advanced, intelligent beings that had no connection to the Lord like we do in the form of a soul and spirit. They would have no spiritual qualities, yet, smart enough to go anywhere they wished.

Last night someone mentioned the possibility of a race of perfect, sinless beings. I would tend to doubt that, as the whole universe in our dimension is permeated with sin. Living creatures die, machines break, objects wear out.

There is a big difference between life existing out there and life visiting us here on earth. More than likely, the things people have observed are demonic activity IMO. Even if it is, that does not prove there is not life out there.

I mentioned in the ghost thread last night a continuing pattern in our house, of say at 2 or 3 am, the unmistakable sound of someone walking in the attic. We have pull down stairs. Several times I have gotten up, pulled down the stairs with a flash light, and nothing is there. I really have no explanation, other than I am crazier than my wife and kids think I am.

2. Bobby Hamilton

Bobby Hamilton New Member

Something that really fascinates me about "aliens" is...that throughout time...people's "descriptions" of Aliens has been somewhat identical, even without knowledge of other people having similar experiences.

So this tells us one of two things

1. If Aliens have visited us and abducted us...they either all look alike, or only one group/species of aliens has visited us over 1000's of years (which, upon a universe so vast would be illogical)

or

2. They aren't aliens, and they are demons of Satan...which Biblically, is a lot more logical.

3. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

If we are going for interesting tangentials. How about this? If one assumes the existence of intelligent life, does this of necessity assume morality and responsibility for that morality?

4. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Good question. Are you saying that the more intelligent life is, then the more responsible and moral it should be?

If so, then I agree.

John

5. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Look at it like this:
    2 Corinthians 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
    15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

If they can appear in this way they also have the ability to appear in other forms, like satan appeared as a serpent to Eve.

2 Corinthians 2:11 Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices

We are not to be ignorant of satans devices that he is able to appear as one of light how much more can he also appear in other forms?

The Beast that comes in the tribualation has satans attributes notice 2 Thessaloinains 2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,

he will do signs and lying wonders just as satan does.

Seems satan and his demons can appear in different forms even as ministers of righteousness. How much more can they appear in other forms?

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh I completely agree, this is a wonderful discussion to have. I just tire of dogmatism from some who can't seem to enjoy these kinds of conversations.

My overarching point is still valid...there is simply no way to know either way.

If there is intelligent life out there we'll likely never encounter it and couldn't begin to know where to start. However, on the off chance there is an encounter there is nothing remotely stunning in the fact that God could have created a race of intelligent beings who also have been atoned for in their own identity.

Scripture is silent on all of this. And again...I for one welcome our soon to be alien overlords. I remind them that as a theologian I can be quite helpful in rounding up the other earthlings and submitting them to the overlords' sugar farms...;)

7. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

I am glad to see that "I am not alone" in my thinking here.

John

8. Bobby Hamilton

And I think "aliens" is one of those devices. Something Satan can use since God didn't say "Oh, btw...there are aliens and they don't really matter to you humans"

9. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A verse out of context demonstrating human superiority over alien "V" invasion.

Isa 61:5

And strangers shall stand and feed your flocks, and the sons of the alien shall be your plowmen and your vine dressers. ​

:type::saint::smilewinkgrin:

10. Bobby Hamilton

Nuts. We have to wait on the Aliens to have kids before they'll go out and hoe the back 40.

11. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Don't tell president Obama about the verse he'll get the Revereand Wright to change it to undocumented aliens.

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I'm still trying to find intelligent life here on earth! :laugh:

13. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Don't look toward Washington D.C. you'll never find it. Now Texas that's a different thing we have a lot of intelligent life forms here just asked the ummmmm well not the aggies or steers, well maybe Baylor no don't think so Oh I know maybe Cougar (UH) High, no that won't work, wait I know DTS yea thats where t he intelligent life is here in Texas.

14. Bobby Hamilton

Well, you've read my posts, so you've found at least one intelligent being :thumbs:

15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    depends how IF we were the on;y race that sinned or not!

I personally don't see any life apart from earth!

16. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Beam me up Scotty, there is no intelligent life down here....:)

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Great responses guys! :laugh:

:thumbs:

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Well, Nancy Pelosi is proof of life on Mars, and Mitt Romney is proof of life on Uranus.

19. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we were the only race that sinned then the "all" in "All have sinned" would be only limited. But furthermore this would bring a greater problem: There would be a race of creatures who would never have had a need for the mediatorial work of God's only Son.

This would make their existence significant for us. At the least, they could have been pointed out as examples for us along the lines of: "The creatures of Alpha Rigel will rise up in judgment on you fellow-creatures on Earth because they never sinned against me."

However if they did sin then we have a third general class of beings (angels, humans, and door number three), a class which would have no redemptive hope. Unless we assume God had other unique Sons.

Having looked at this through many angles - and for many years really wanting there to be life out there - I have come to the conclusion that there isn't. And that we on Earth are truly unique.

To call that "arrogance" is, well, arrogant. It also tends to shut down investigation into this interesting topic.

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your signature is true. You are NOT a Calvinist.

Hey, Scandal. You can have this one! :smilewinkgrin: