1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Life is in the blood...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by jsn9333, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

What you are proclaiming as Biblical is your own error. You are taking "Life is in the blood" and proclaiming that when the fetus develops a blood supply of it's own is when it's life has began. You are saying that blood flow is life. However the Bible says the life is in the blood. The Bible is true. Life is in the blood.

Your earlier arguments that the writers of the Bible could not have known that there was such a thing as an ovum, zygote or a blastocyst until the advent of the microscope.

Well by observation the writers had made a statement that they observed when slitting the throat of a live animal. The animal bled out and died. Now by observation they could have wrote that the blood is the life of the now dead animal. They instead wrote, by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, that the life is in the blood. Their knowledge according to the letting of blood was in line with inspiration. Thus making the Bible true for all ages. Now that our knowledge is increased we know that DNA is individual life at conception and that DNA exists in the blood.

jsn9333, your DNA is unique from all of human life. No one living today (unless you are an identical twin or a clone) nor living in the future will have your DNA. Some will come close, a brother or sister but no one will ever have your unique identity.

If you or I, at the moment of conception, for whatever reason were rejected by our mother's body both of us would be in the hands of the Almighty God as having been conceived as a human life. Any form of contraception that caused it would be held before God as a murderous act. Even those Christians that have allowed it by ignorance would be answerable unto God.

Look, regardless of what you think of me, and maybe I am judgmental in that I have called you an enabler of a murderous craft, but I'd rather be judged by God in the light that I have judged you as such, than be judged by God of having blood on my hands for not standing up for what I believe as evil.

If you are an enabler then I have warned you of judgment to come. I am not in a position to pass an execution of judgment (to put these murders to death), so these feeble words of mine should have no effect to your well being. However, if I have convinced you of sin then you should be moved to repentance or of the hardening of your heart. I pray that your heart be moved to repentance. Please I beg of you to turn from this evil.

Personally if you have convinced me of sin it is that of judgment. I would rather harden my heart to that then to stand before God a murderer. Here in I stand for life and will not be found guessing on it's beginning. The logical and Biblical stand for life actually begins with God. God has many times stated that upon conception He has known that individual. Therefore I stand there as well. It removes the guess work. And life is in the blood.

2. jsn9333

jsn9333 New Member

The Bible doesn't say why it proclaims that the life is in the blood. So I can't assume it was because life is in DNA any more then I can assume it is because life is in protein. I have no Biblical reason to assume either of those. If you logically think "life is in the DNA" is a better belief then what the Bible says because DNA is unique... then believe it. But you can't claim the Bible teaches that. That is a personal, logical belief you can only hold yourself too.

To talk about your logic (even though it is off topic, since it has nothing to do with the Bible's teachings)... the DNA that forms in a fertilized egg is not unique to one life anyway. That cell can split into multiple cells (one way twins occur). There is not an individual life at fertilization any more then there is before fertilization. Many lives could result from fertilization, or no lives could result. It depends what happens later. Similarly many lives can result from intercourse, or no lives... it depends.

So your logic about DNA is irrelevant anyway. All we truly know from the Scriptures is that the life of a being is in its blood. Beyond that you are guessing and assuming.

If someone says life starts at conception because a verse says "He knew me when I was conceived," then, again, I'll point out that other verses say "He knew me before I was conceived." The Bible doesn't say life starts at conception. And, again, even if it did say life started at conception, the Hebrew word for conception ("harah") does not necessarily refer to fertilization of an egg. The English word for conception didn't even refer to an egg until eggs were discovered in the 17th century.

You cannot judge people by your own personal beliefs. You can only judge yourself by them. You must use the Scriptures to judge others.

#162 jsn9333, Mar 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2008
  3. jsn9333

jsn9333 New Member

If you say abortion at week 2 is a sin because the woman doesn't want the child, then contraception or even abstinence is a sin if it is done because the woman doesn't want a child. This thread is not about your own logic, even if it were not faulty logic (as yours is). This thread is about what the Bible says.

If you can't provide a verse as to when life begins, then your opinion is not relevant to this thread. Feel free to start a thread on "my opinion on when life starts apart from any Biblical basis." This thread is about what the Bible teaches.

#163 jsn9333, Mar 29, 2008
  4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What kind of logic is this?!? Not wanting something or someone does not equate to murder.
    You haven't provided a verse either. You took one stating life is IN the blood and twisted it to mean that WITH blood there is life. Palatka nailed it a few posts back. Read it.

5. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

You are just all over the place and you do not listen to reason. You just don't know the tears that I have shed for your enlightenment regarding this subject. The option of death over that of life, I am thoroughly dismayed with this, my generation and those that name the name of Christ in support of it. May God have mercy on us all for ever getting ourselves into this situation. The evil is truly set in the heart of all those that enable this craft of death and the devil truly uses scripture to justify his murderous ways. Get behind me Satan for you do not seek the things of God. :tear:

6. jsn9333

jsn9333 New Member

That was my point exactly. Amy had said, while referring to abortion as murder, "If a woman decides to have an abortion, it is the child she does not want. That is the sin." I pointed out that there are many ways to show that you d not want a child... and if you go by her logic then abstinence (one way) or contraception (another way) are sins as well. You are critiquing her logic, not mine.
    I read and responded to Palatka's post. I'm not saying that the "life is in the blood" verse clearly references when life starts. I'm saying that is the most direct reference because it at least talks about life and in what physical medium life resides.

If you think that is a poor verse for deciding when life starts, by all means suggest an alternative. Mostly people have given verses that say, "He knew me when I was conceived," to say life starts at fertilization. I have just pointed out that other verses say "He knew me before I was conceived." The Bible doesn't say life starts at fertilization anywhere I have seen.

And, again, even if it did say life started at conception, the Hebrew word for conception ("harah") does not necessarily refer to fertilization of an egg. The English word for conception didn't even refer to an egg until eggs were discovered in the 17th century.

#166 jsn9333, Mar 29, 2008
  7. jsn9333

jsn9333 New Member

The pharisees used their own traditional beliefs instead of Scripture to justify their harsh judgments of others, and were called "children of the devil" by Christ because of it.

The true Christian uses Scripture to know the Truth. I respect your personal belief about life starting at fertilization. But the Bible does not teach it, so therefore you cannot judge others by it. Practice it yourself, but if you try to tell anyone God agrees with you you are a false prophet. God has not said life starts at fertilization.

8. standingfirminChrist

The true Christian will not use the Scripture to justify sin

9. jsn9333

jsn9333 New Member

I wholeheartedly agree.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Then why the feeble attempt to do it?
    You fail miserably in your attempt.
    Take heed to a warning from Scripture:

2 Peter 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

11. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here you go
    No nucleus = no DNA. In the bone marrow when red blood cells are developing, they have a nucleus. By the time they mature and reach the blood they have extruded their nucleus because it takes valuable space away from hemoglobin, the molecule that carries oxygen in blood.

I am against abortions, disagree with the view of jsn9333 and am saddened by the abortions in China. I agree that blood is life. But disagree with your explanation because it is scientifically incorrect.

12. jsn9333

jsn9333 New Member

To have it implied by DHK that I am unlearned is indeed a very high compliment. Despite every known medical history book's claims that the human female ovum was not known to exist until 1828, you continue to insist the Hebrews knew about it and defined their word "harah" (or "conceived") according to it because "even teenagers know about the egg!" There are few I would rather have imply I am unlearned then someone who chooses to remain in such absurd historical ignorance.

You can reprimand me all you want if it makes you feel better, but in the end all I have done is to simply ask you for biblical support for your claim that fertilization of the egg is the beginning of life. That is a call for proof, not a "twist" of Scripture.

For instance, you have given verses that say, "He knew me when I was conceived," to say life starts at fertilization. I have merely pointed out that other verses say "He knew me before I was conceived." If all I have done is cite another verse for you to compare yours too, then I have not twisted anything. I have simply given you another verse to keep in mind... two verses is better then one. You should be thanking me, if anything.

If you want to choose to remain in historical and biblical ignorance, then be my guest. :thumbs:

#172 jsn9333, Mar 29, 2008
  13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1. Don't take it as a compliment.
    2. Don't automatically assume that I called you unlearned.
    What the Bible says is that you are unlearned in the Word and you "wrest the Scriptures", that is twist them to your own benefit, and thus your own destruction. It is the Word of God that you are playing with, and possibly to your own destruction. I am not implying that in other fields of knowledge you are ignorant, but in Biblical areas you have proved yourself to be unlearned, as the Bible says. You refuse to take Godly counsel of others. It is not a compliment.
    You have no authority to make such a claim; for you have no way to document it; no way to prove it. I challenge you to prove your statement. I am waiting for the documentation. This ought to be good. In order for you to document it, I want to see every medical book in every language before 1828 and that would include common dictionaries and encyclopedias--anything that would shed light on the word "ovum." Document your claim or shut up about it! If you can't prove it then keep quiet.
    Your misinformation about Columbus puts you in the boat of absurd historical ignorance. You are not the one to talk.
    I and many others have given it to you many times, but you refuse. You refuse it whether it is given in English or in Hebrew or in Greek. You refuse simple logic.
    You admit that the Greek word seed, spermata, is sperm.
    Yet you won't admit that the "seed" of the woman could refer to the egg. For Mary conceived of the Holy Spirit and gave birth to Christ. She was a virgin. What sperm was used? What was the seed referring to? It was Mary's seed. Mary's seed was Christ. It obviously had to refer to the ovum of Mary, not the sperm of Mary. But Christ was conceived of the Holy Spirit. Mary's egg was fertilized by God himself. There is your proof. Even Isaiah said it: A virgin shall conceive and bring forth a son.
    But no matter how many times we give you this evidence you will not believe.
    I never used those verses. Verses speaking of God's omniscience I am not concerned with. I didn't use them.
    You are the one that must prove the universal negatives to me. Have fun!

14. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Thank you Gold Dragon. I am only in error regarding the red corpuscle. However I do appreciate your information. Please forgive me of my error.

15. jsn9333

jsn9333 New Member

I didn't say you called me unlearned, I said you implied I was unlearned. And you did, by telling me the unlearned twist Scripture and accusing me of twisting Scripture.

Concerning Columbus, you said most common people believed the earth was flat in his day. I said that wasn't true. The only reference you provided was that there exists old, flat maps with drawings of water going off the edges. I pointed out maps like that are still made today, so that proves nothing. I'll point out, that according to Jeffrey Burton Russell, Professor of History, Emeritus, at the University of California, Santa Barbara, (practically) "no one before the 1830s believed that medieval people thought that the earth was flat." see http://www.veritas-ucsb.org/library/russell/FlatEarth.html
    Again, I'm going to have to go with my reference of yours... as "unlearned" as that might make me seem.

I don't have to prove my statement that history books claim the female ovum was discovered in 1828. I've cited two medical history books already. YOu have cited none. The ball is now in your court, yet all you do is tell me I need to cite every medical history book that exists in every language known to man. At this point, you would make yourself look a lot better if you would just put away your pride, admit you were wrong about Columbus, and admit you were wrong about the Hebrews knowing what an egg was "because teenagers know."

I have not ignored your claims that "seed" in reference to a woman refers to an egg. I have cited several reasons why "seed" does not refer to the egg.
    1) The Hebrew and Greek concordances define the word as "sperm" and as "seed", not "ovum". So when the Bible says she conceived seed or became pregnant by seed, it is referring to her becoming pregnant via sperm.
    2) Verses that say "your seed will number more then the sand on the seashore" are referring to her decedents... not billions of ovums. The female body makes a very limited number of ovums. The verse in Genesis that says her seed will crush the serpent is translated "her offspring" in the NIV, which is in line with the understanding that female "seed" refers to children, not to ovum.

You are not telling the truth about "never using those verses" about being known in the womb, which is sad, since you are supposedly a "moderator" in this discussion. Post number 69. You relied on Psalm 139 saying a person was known in the womb... the very verses I have said should not be used to show life starts at conception since other verses say a person was known before being conceived. Now here you say you never used such verses.

You are one who does not tell the truth, and you are playing games here. Concerning the human egg being discovered in 1828, you unashamedly deny the history which all medical history books that we have seen claim as fact, and you refuse to cite even one history book or encyclopedia in your defense. Instead you say I have to prove that every history book *ever written* agrees with the two I have already cited... as if the names of every history book ever written could even fit on this server.

You refuse to cite references about your claims concerning Columbus, but that is unrelated to this discussion. The fact is, I have cited numerous published books of history and distinguished professors. You refuse to cite a single published historical reference, and you also refuse to tell the truth about what you have said in previous posts. You are playing games, it is obvious at this point.

When even the moderator refuses to engage in discussion and resorts to game playing the pursuit of mutual knowledge becomes a waste of time. It is sad that the telling of un-truths and and ridiculous game playing are tolerated in the moderation of this board.

I am through with this topic and will be off the board for a while preparing for final exams. I'm sure DHK will have fun "abolishing" my arguments in my absence. However, the last few pages speak for themselves.

I have truly not intended to offend anyone with this sensitive topic, however I do believe the Church should have Biblical support for every stand it takes. Good-bye and God bless,

jsn9333

16. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    no worries :)

17. Joe

Joe New Member

It doesn't matter when conception took place or how it took place. That's a rabbit trail imo

In the Lord's eyes, our lives began prior to conception

In the mind of our Lord, Jeremiah's life began prior to conception.

His life had a very important purpose before he was conceived

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations."

Who are we, as mere creations of the Almighty God, to make an attempt to interfere with his plan?

#177 Joe, Mar 29, 2008
  18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The unlearned do twist the Scriptures, as the Scriptures themselves testify. If you want to step outside of that class, then stop twisting or wresting the Scriptures. It is that simple.
    :laugh:
    Sure there are—in the historical archives of many libraries! Duh! In most common atlases you don’t find the type of maps that I referred to. Yes they exist, because they are historical, as in historical artifacts. Use your head here. But they don’t exist in any common atlas today. Did you join the Flat Earth Society also?? The maps of today show a circular earth. They don’t show ships falling off the edge the map perishing with a bottomless fall of water. Is that what your atlas looks like? It must be very unique.
    Your version of history is not the only one. I have had to correct you more than once for posting misinformation.
    You don’t get it do you. “There is no account of the female ovum before 1828.” Your statement is a logical fallacy. It is a universal negative. You made the statement. Have fun proving it. I don’t have to defend your statement; you do. Make a statement; be prepared to defend it. That is how debate takes place. In this case you blundered. You made a statement that is impossible to defend. Even if you offer me one or two sources it doesn’t matter. To adequately defend your statement you would have to offer me the definition of the word “ovum” in all languages of the world in every age from the 19th century and before. Don’t omit a single one. Demonstrate your statement. Prove it. You are the one that made the statement, as absurd as it is. It is not my duty to defend your statement; it is yours. So have fun!
    My teen-age daughter can spot your logical fallacies. You look ridiculous. You can’t defend what you write. Why are saying the ball is in my court when you haven’t proved your point yet. I am still waiting for your proof. When will it be provided? BTW, I wasn’t wrong about Columbus. I quoted to you directly from a history book. How could I be wrong. You had your facts all distorted. It was the equivalent of posting lies. That is the only reason why I responded concerning Columbus in the first place. Otherwise I wouldn’t have said anything. But when I saw a post stating so much false information about Columbus I couldn’t let it go without correction.
    You have given your interpretation which is out of sync with the Bible. Genesis 3:15 refers to the Virgin Birth. The seed refers to Christ. It is “her seed;” Mary’s seed. It is an obvious reference to the egg of Mary.
    There are other verses used by other posters about how God “knew” them (prophets) before they were yet born. Those are the verses that I thought you were referring to.
    In Psalm 139, I wasn’t referring to the Psalmist that way. The Psalmist refers to himself as one who has been created by God. He is intensely personal in his own description of himself as it was told by him through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. This is far different from other Scriptures that I thought you were referring to. Psalm 139 is a description of the human body in the womb, even going right back to conception. It is very detailed. Only God could give such a detailed description as that. “We are fearfully and wonderfully made,” he concludes.
    You come back to this point again and again, and fail to see the logic, or lack thereof.
    You say I deny the history which all medical books that we have seen. You haven’t seen all the medical books, so how would you know. It is almost as if you are claiming to be omniscient in this matter. Are you? If you make a claim you have to demonstrate that claim. You haven’t done it.
    hmmm, concerning your first post on Columbus you cited nothing but your opinion and a bunch of garbled history with confused information that wasn’t true. I had to make a couple of posts to straighten that out. Columbus landed on the Bahamas. But you didn’t know that did you? Again, the only reason I engaged in any discussion of Columbus was because you started first to post misinformation about him. That is the only reason.

#178 DHK, Mar 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2008
  19. jsn9333

jsn9333 New Member

DHK,

As far as my "logical fallacy", I am not asking you to prove a negative now. You have said the egg was known to exist before the 17th century, because "even a teenager knows what the egg is." I have cited several published historical books of medicine that back up my claim that the egg wasn't known to exist until 1827 or 1828. I am simply asking you to prove a positive: prove that you can find even one one published book of history that claims any human knew what the egg was before the 17th century. That is not a "universal negative" or whatever "fallacy" you are accusing me of. I'm asking you to prove one positive thing... that you have even a single educated historian on your side of this issue.

We all make mistakes. You should just man up and admit that you assumed we always knew what an egg was. It is an assumption a lot of people make, because we are taught about the egg at such a young age. Just set aside your pride and you'll look a lot less ignorant... and then your position on the abortion issue will seem a lot more educated and reasonable. When I say ignorant I don't mean that you are stupid... "ignorant" means you are ignoring information. You are ignoring history. You haven't been able to find one educated historian who agrees with your position and you ignore every historian who disagrees with you (a few of whom I have cited).

As far as Columbus, etc., you say you have cited history books to show your claim that, "the common belief was that the world was flat up until the middle ages," from post 111 is true. Neither in that post nor in any other have you cited one historian or published book. I have earlier cited a distinguished professor of history stating that such was not a common belief. You have ignored it. Again... ignorance.

You say, "your version of history is not the only one." I'm not saying my view is the only one. I'm simply asking you to cite a historian who agrees with your view. The main view of yours is your assertion about the egg being known early, but as far as Columbus (since you keep bringing it up), add to the list of published scholars and historians who disagree with you Jeffrey Russell. He states that the modern view that people of the Middle Ages believed that the Earth was flat entered the popular imagination in the 19th century, thanks largely to the publication of Washington Irving's fantasy, "The Life and Voyages of Christopher Columbus" in 1828. For a citation see Russell, Jeffrey B.. "The Myth of the Flat Earth." page 3. American Scientific Affiliation.

Other historians who agree with him are Klaus Anselm Vogel, Jeffrey Burton Russell, Reinhard Krüger, also Edward Grant, David Lindberg, Daniel Woodward, and Robert S. Westman.

Again, just like with the egg issue, you refuse to cite published educational, standard historical materials. Your assumption is a common one because many kids are taught the myth when they are young. Palatka made virtually the same mistake you did, saying Columbus proved the earth was round. But Palatka has the humility to just stop when he sees he was wrong. In your foolish pride you continue to insist you were right... yet you refuse to cite any published historian who agrees with you. That is called pride and ignorance my friend, pride and ignorance. No one is perfect and we all have a little pride and ignorance or what not... but you are full of it. Just admit you are human and make mistakes. The only way to learn is to recognize your mistakes.

As far as Psalm 139, basically, in this thread about when life starts you referenced a verse about God knowing someone at conception. Then later when I showed such verses cannot be used to show life actually begins at conception you said you "did not use any of those verses." Now that I have pointed out where you used Psalm 139 you are saying that you weren't using the verse "that way." Alright, whatever. I'll trust your good faith on that, even though I have no reason to.

As long as you willfully remain ignorant, further discussion with you is pointless. If we get to make up whatever facts we want (which is what you have done), then trying to find the Truth in a matter is impossible. In almost 20 pages we have sorted through an amazing amount of Bible passages, medical facts, etc. I respect the people in this thread who have disagreed with me for personal reasons or for Biblical ones. I may not agree with them, but I respect them. I have zero respect for someone who chooses to remain ignorant in order save his pride.

#179 jsn9333, Mar 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2008
  20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The Bible says that the unlearned wrest the Scriptures to their own destruction. That is what the Bible says; not I. But take it as good advice.

There is no way to advocate abortion from the Bible which says: "Thou shalt not kill."

Every conservative Christian throughout the ages that I know of has believed that conception begins at the time the egg is fertilized by the sperm: both a scientific and Biblical fact. The one not contradicting, but in harmony with the other.

Your sources are spurious.

You fail to recognize logical fallicies such as a universal negative which are impossible to prove and make such statements over and over again. They are claims that atheists make: "There is no God." How do they know? Where have they looked? Have they searched the entire universe? Of course not. You make the exact same statements about the written existence of an ovum. It is a statement you cannot prove, and don't have the intelligence to see that you cannot prove the statement that you have made is impossible to prove.

You have resorted to name calling.

You are right; this discussion is going nowhere.

Thus, in the light of your last post, it is being closed.

#180 DHK, Mar 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.