1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lifeway and Holman off the deep end?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Phillip, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

HAHA, got a Christmas catalog from Lifeway. Full color, "Introducing the Holman Christian Standard Bible"

Inside, we have the:
    A. Hardback standard version
    B. Pocket-Size Classic Edition
    C. Pocket-Size Standard (Avail. May 1)
    D. The Policeman's Bible (complete with badge on front)
    E. The Fireman's Bible (complete with fireman badge on front)
    F. The Sportman's Bible complete with non-reflective camaflage cover.
    G. Of course five colors of Gift Bibles for $4.97
    H. Keepsake Bride's Bible
    I. Three version Baby's New Testament -- baby blue boy's, pink girl's and white-??
    J. The Here's Hope New Testament only $1.50 (This is the one they are giving to churches to get them to start using the Holman.)
    K. Holman Economy New Testmanet in Black, White and Burgandy Imitation Leather and Illustrated paperback.
    L. Holman Drill Bible with burgundy hardcover
    M. Holman CSB Illustrated Study Bible for Kids
    N. Holman CSB Pew Bibles in four colors
    O. and last but not least The Bible Navigator Software with the CSB and concordances, reading plan, search, etc.

Of COURSE, they take Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express.

You have your choice of going into debt for the New Year. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Dogsbody

Dogsbody New Member

"And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you;..." [​IMG]

3. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

And they are NOT in it for the money? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: [​IMG] [​IMG]

PUHLEEZE!

In His service;
    Jim

4. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Can you tell me a single Bible publisher or sales company that is NOT in it for the money?

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

welcome to the bright and cheery world of publishing. While B&H have taken this individualized Bible production a step too far, they are just following suit for the other big companies.

There is a boat load of money to be made on the publishing end of things. Lifeway still is one of the soundest and best places in terms of stewardship since all of their net profits go into the NAMB and IMB (and some other SBC entities) coffers to continue to train and send people to spread the Gospel.

Not so sure about B&H

6. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I must say one thing about these Bibles. They may be overboard on the number of Bibles they are selling, but the prices are very reasonable.

The very highest being the Keepsake Bride's Bible at $29.99. Try buying an NIV for that or even a good KJV.

Most of the others are $19.97. Children's as low as $5.99, Pew Bibles at about $10.99 and Gift Bibles at 5 bucks.

The standard hardback with Red Letters is $14.99.

You certainly cannot complain about being gouged on the prices, like many of the other Bibles you see in Christian bookstores. A typical KJV study Bible may run $50 or $60 for one with a good binding.

And where in the world are you going to get a Camaflauged version for only $19.95 complete with Code of Conduct, safety information, the plan of salvation, and tips for hunting and fishing. The ULTIMATE way to heaven for the fisherman. [​IMG]

7. EaglewingIS4031

EaglewingIS4031 New Member

National Bible Press /National Publishing Co.
    they publish Bibles for Gideons International.

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

9. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

BTW;
    The fact they are a King James Bible church is a non-issue as pertains to this thread.

They are not for profit and have been publishing for nearly 30 years. In dozens of languages.

In His service;
    Jim

10. NateT

NateT Member

I saw a comic once that a man went into a bookstore and asked for a Bible. He said something like "I don't want a life application, Ryrie, rainbow prophecy Bible, Single White Male's study Bible or antyhing else. I just want a Bible."

I wish now I'd printed it out. I've felt that way numerous time. :D

11. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Now we have the WASP Bible. White anglo-saxon protestant. Mercy. :rolleyes:

One thing to remember is that the KJV is in the public domain and ALL of the over-head for translation and printing has been paid.

When you bring a team of translators in and pay them good money to do a good translation, there is tremendous costs, not to include formatting and publishing set-up costs. For Holman to sell the Bible's as reasonably as they are doing, tells me their profit margin is not out of line, considering that I am almost certain that the overhead has to be recouped before the company even breaks even. This is just plain Business 101 and somebody has to make money to at least cover expenses.

Look at most of your not-for-profit organizations where the CEO and Vice Presidents are pulling down five figure incomes, while the corporation shows no profit. This IS legal, but often not-for-profits are simply ways for people to make personal income. After all, a person has to make a living, if they are not rich to start with. How much is adequate to run a big corporation like the "Red Cross" for instance, would probably be compatible with how much is paid a CEO to operate a comparible size secular corporation.

I bet the CEO running the Bibles off for the Gideons is making a FINE salary. I doubt very seriously if he is working for free. Along with his top men/women.

12. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

http://www.bpsmilford.org/Support.htm

I bet part of that operating expense is what's called overhead and possible G&A (General and Administrative)----salaries. Probably nice fluffy ones. Now, I can't say that without seeing their records, but MOST not-for-profits doing this sort of thing pay their Presidents and VP's handsome salaries.

I didn't say this is WRONG. It is just the way another style of business operates and the American culture is a free-enterprise system.

Have you seen some of the pastor's salaries at some of the mega-churches? Or even medium sized churches.

13. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

....and don't get me wrong. A pastor running a big church needs a salary today to match the secular world, after all, it is only fair.

14. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Uh...Phillip.
    Did you even LOOK at the site?
    I cannot take any of your comments seriously since not ONE of them have anything to do with this particular publishing "house".

Look again my friend. And read the page I posted. This time with comprehension. [​IMG]
    In His service;
    Jim

15. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I read it Jim. Where does it say that the administrators do not take a salary?

If it does, then that is fine, they are doing a good service; but, where does it say this?

16. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Oh, and yes, you are right, the overhead of translation has already been paid for since the KJV is in the public domain as long as it is not printed in England under perpetual king's ownership. But, this does not include overhead for the operation. INCLUDING possibly salaries? A person can make a good living running a not-for-profit organization. Just ask the owners of these not-for-profit religious radio stations. Instead of dividends the money is taken out as salaries.

17. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

At our Church we buy Bibles and other Scriptures from International Bible Society to give out in our Christmas and Easter Evangelism campaigns. The prices are very incredibly affordable..Of course International Bible Society does hold the copyright on the NIV.

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wonder how many of those HCSB Bibles will be given away for the cost of prining them.

Lifeway makes loads of money. Just look at the cost of the Sunday School literature and how much money Jimmy Draper makes. Whatever happened to Convention Press? They had quite a number of good books at a very reasonable price.

19. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

The Lifeway material is way overpriced. I wonder how many of the small churches can afford it. What once was the Sunday School Board providing material to teach and disciple people and there to support the local church has now turned into a big business with big salaries. In many ways it is much like our state and national coventions, at one time they were there to support the local autonomous church. Now one has to seriously wonder if the churches exist simply to feed the monster?????? [​IMG]

Bro Tony

20. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Some day I will tell you a story about the "monster" that you will find quite amusing. Just don't want to get into it tonight.