1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LifeWay private prayer language research disappointing

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Revmitchell, May 25, 2008.

1. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Well........I'll amen this sentence. You canadyjd, are just one of reasons this junk creeps in.

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The context of chapters 12-14 is the use of tongues (estatic utterances) in the church services. That alone makes the idea that "tongues of angels" to be a reference to "eloquence of speach" unlikely.

Paul further talks of a "spirit language", which must be a similar reference to the estatic utterances. Again, further support that "tongues of angels" is referring to the overall context of "estatic utterances".

peace to you:praying:

3. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do my best to base everything I believe on what scripture says, in the context it was written, whether or not the traditions of the church support it.

I can do no less and be faithful to my Lord.

4. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I have a question and/or a suggestion. If there are people in Baptist churches that believe in this jibberish talk, why don't they just go where they are welcome(pentecostal churches) and keep it out of churches that have been historically against it? I'm positive that the pentecostals will welcome you with open arms, they basically believe the same as us, except for this issue and a couple of other minor issues. Why do they have to force this on us?

PS. This wasn't even an issue until about a hundred years ago.

#24 JerryL, May 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2008
  5. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I refer you to post # 24 then.

6. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

Private Prayer Language?

So as to not run this rabbit any further on this thread, come and join me on a new topic I started to debate "the tongue of angels".

Especially you folks who believe in (estatic utterances).

Bartimaeus

7. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps this kind of attitude is why so many of our churches are dying. Even though scripture clearly supports the validity of a PPL, those who disagree are somehow "threatened" by those follow scripture.

It is the "people who don't think like me are not welcome" attitude that is unbiblical. Such an attitude does not allow for Christian liberty and Christian conscience to be exercised in such non-essential matters.

BTW, the Pentecostals don't think like I do. Paul gives clear instructions concerning the use of the gift. It doesn't edify others, therefore if it isn't interpreted, if it isn't done (interpreted) in order (2 and at most 3) then it shouldn't be done in church.

BTW#2, I do not use a PPL, and never have. That doesn't keep me from seeing the truth of God's Word applied to this issue.

The SBC is trying to hold Christians to a higher standard than scripture allows. That is wrong.

#27 canadyjd, May 25, 2008
  8. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I left SBC years ago because of the liberal slant they had taken, and even that was conservative compared to the charismatic leanings of today. I am IFB now and never hear any of this nonsense preached or practiced.

AJ

9. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I too, will leave as soon as it is allowed in my church(It never will be) or put in SBC paperwork. I am not married to this SBC thing, I would have no qualms about leaving.

10. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Some of you pastors help me out here.

Wasnt the books of Corinthians written to one particular church, and about their particular problems? I think Romans was written to ALL churches, but Corinthians were written to only one. And, werent the sign gifts given to the apostles and only 4 others? And didnt actual apostles have to lay hands on the other four to annoint them so that they could produce signs to aid in the establishment of the church?

Also, if prophesy were still needed today, wouldnt that mean that the Bible is NOT the complete word of God?

I think that the instructions that were written for the church at Corinth for problems they were having were given to us for our instruction but not for our duplication.

If I needed to speak or to pray in tongues then God would have me do it without someone having to teach me. I have happily been a christian for many years, and the Lord hasnt had me do it yet. When He does I will let you know.

AJ

#30 ajg1959, May 25, 2008
  11. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Our churches are dying because of people wanting theirs tickled by this new TV, WOF type junk that includes this topic we are discussing. Our churches are dying because of this "get rich" gospel that is being touted today.

12. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

No charimatic here, and I abhore word of faith theology.

Tongues speaking? The church has every right to order church services.

Private prayer language? I would never dare even ask another person HOW they pray. It is private. To me, it is like asking for intimate marriage details. IT IS PRIVATE.

So that said, I certainly understand why many pastors and potential missionaries refuse to sign a document stating they do not pray in a private prayer language. Doesn't mean they DO pray that way. Just means they think it is NONE OF THE QUESTIONERS BUSINESS.

13. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I'm not mistaken, I think the IMB requires applicants to divulge some "intimate" details.

14. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

It makes sense to me, I sure wouldnt want to support a missionary financially that is teaching or practicing apostate doctrine.

AJ

15. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Cor. 1:2 "to the church of God which is at Corinth,..." and Romans 1:7 "to all the beloved of God in Rome, called as saints;" I don't know why it makes a difference whether the church at Corinth was composed of several churches or just one?
    Seems to me, Jesus sent out "70" that could heal and cast out demons.
    To "prophesy" meant to proclaim the Gospel, not tell the future (unless you were speaking of the return of Christ).
    You seem to be making a distinction where there is no difference. If it is for our instruction (what should we do with those folks who want to use "estatic utterances" in worship?) then we must follow those instructions given by God in His Word, not deny that God has given such instructions or make such a person feel unwelcome or prohibit such a person from serving. To do any of those things is to hold Christians to a higher standard than scripture allows.
    This is an area for Christian liberty and conscience to be practiced. Your experience may not be the same as someone else's. We can only follow what God has revealed in His Word.

If someone claims to speak in a PPL, then we should encourage them to follow the instructions God has given for such things.

16. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Word of faith" is a different issue and not supported by scripture.

17. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Why do you insist on incorperating this into churches that have historically been against it. Can't you just go to a church that allows it?

18. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apostate doctrine? PPL is clearly supported by scripture. Either scripture is wrong or the SBC is wrong.

I'll follow the Word of God over the traditions of men every chance I get.

19. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only thing I insist on is that we make decisions based on scripture.

Why can't you see that God's Word allows for Christian liberty and conscience on this issue? Churches have been "historically" wrong before.

Why do you have the attitude that if people don't think like you do, they are not welcome?

20. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I read somewhere once that 80% of the jibberish talkers were women, could that be why Paul told them to be quiet at Corinth?