1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LifeWay private prayer language research disappointing

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Revmitchell, May 25, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I said I am not trying to shut down discussion. But only point out that since the nature of tongues is clearly given that really makes any thought about some prayer language a moot point. However I am not sure where you get that it was for Israel. That is the first I have heard that.

#61 Revmitchell, May 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2008
  2. Allan

Allan Active Member

Oh I know you aren't trying to shut it down.

Regarding Isreal, Really?? (btw- I stated specifically of Israel but not only of Israel)

It is connected here:
    From Isa 28:11 when Israel had stood in disobedience and in rejection God declared their condemnation for their unbelief would be shown through sounds of other or unknown tongues. In Isaiah it refered to the invading armies to over took them and brought them into slavery. Paul was referencing this as the same type of proof to the Jews in their unbelief of Christ but instead of an invadiing army to hold them captive it would be their

That is a very brief discription of course but there is much more of it. It might be something interesting for you to look at or into :)

#62 Allan, May 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2008
  3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never made such an argument.

I don't think it is a "huge leap of logic" when the ongoing context supports it.

I Cor. 14:2

"For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men, but to God....."

Compare with I Cor.14:13-17

"Therefore, let one who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret. (14)For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.

Clearly, Paul here concedes that praying in a tongue engages the spirit but not the mind.

(15)What is the outcome then? I shall pray with the spirit and I shall pray with the mind also; I shall sing with the spirit and I shall sing with the mind also...

Paul encourages them to engage their minds when they pray and sing praises (which amounts to blessing God and giving thanks as the next verse demonstrates.)

(16)Otherwise if you bless in the spirit only, how will the one who fills the place of the ungifted say the Amen at your giving of thanks, since he does not know what you are saying? (17) For you are giving thanks well enough, but the other man is not edified.

Verse 17 clearly indicates that Paul concedes the possibility that when they "bless in the spirit" (which he linked with speaking in tongues in verse 14: Context, context, context) they are, in fact, giving thanks to God.

He encourages them not to speak in tongues in the church because it does not edify others, and is no benefit to unbelievers.

Actually, the context demonstrates that speaking, praying, singing, blessing, and giving thanks were all done "in a tongue".
    I don't disagree with you here, and I have, in fact, already stated much the same thing several times. I would point out, however, that the instruction to "remain silent" is accompanied by "in the church".
    You are simply wrong, here. The "but" in verse 3 compares the results of one speaking in a tongue "no one understands...he speaks mysteries" to the results of one who prophesies "edification, exhortation and consolation".
    It is meaningless and unprofitable to those around the person speaking in a tongue.
    I don't think you're reading my posts very well. I have stated much the same thing several times now.

peace to you:praying: