1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Line Between Heresy and Difference of Opinion

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by saturneptune, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK,

I can refute it and have.

These audio sermons and the article present a clear and irrefutable case against this false teaching.....in other words the truth of the issue.

if you are not interested in the truth here what can i say to you???

The words and tenses used solve the issue ....he says they were acting out of character......they were acting ...as if they were...natural men.

You avoid the sermons and article because you cannot answer them.

yes I would listen or read them DHK...and then I will refute his error openly.
    This will not be a problem. You can post publically Hunt or anyone else and I will read and respond biblically. be my guest.....but then.....will you do the same with these links:laugh::wavey:

2. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello QF,

Here is the issue QF....

Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?

7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You can't "refute" the Word of God, Icon. You either believe or you don't.
    Here it is.
    1 Corinthians 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
    --Brethren...I speak unto as carnal.
    They were carnal; carnal Christians. There is nothing to refute. You either believe it or you don't.

You avoid a simple "refutation" because you can't. It is called disbelief.
    One thing I would have you do. You stated without any reference whatsoever that Dave Hunt believes "Calvinists are not saved." Either retract the statement or document it. You can't post such statements like that without documentation.

4. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Explain please "if thou doest well, thou shalt thou not be accepted"? If thous not doest well, sin lieth at the door? Could he have made a choice against his nature?

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This is slander and needs to be retracted. If not another moderator should step in and deal with it. It is not a good testimony for the board. Here is what Dave Hunt has said (one of many quotes you can find on his website) concerning Calvinism:
    http://www.thebereancall.org/content/who-can-understand-gospel

Icon, I wait for a retraction of your statement.

6. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Earth to Icon....

Stop digging.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi DHK, Calvinism relies on a defense using misrepresentation of the views of others. It cannot stand on its own.

You asked me to support my views about the "scrubbing" of doctrinal statements to specify "past, present and future." If I would make these kind of arguments, which can be found all over the internet, you might give me an infraction for arguing an unorthodox view. Are you saying on this forum, we can discuss the topic of inherit omniscience?
    If the answer is yes, make sure Skandelon and C4K and Dr. Bob are on on board. Are we Baptists or dictatorial elitists?

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I second this list.

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The only slander here is from you toward me. far from a retraction DHK I have here your hero...posting this comment which i posted earlier...

take note....it is from your same source beareancall....so before you call for moderators, or mommy to help you ...read it for yourself-

http://www.thebereancall.org/content/september-2005-q-and-a-2
    Notice the last paragraph of his answer:thumbs::wavey:

Now..there is your documentation..so stop crying.:laugh:

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK

QUOTE]You can't "refute" the Word of God, Icon. You either believe or you don't. [/QUOTE]

Correct DHK...that is why I offered you three sources...i could offer hundreds which actually teach what the passage says.
    I do believe the word of God.That is why i know what you posted and believed to be a falsehood.

I explained this before and you were unable to accept it DHK...lets see if time has made you wiser:thumbs:

There are only two kinds of men DHK..carnal/spiritual....

Christians...have the Spirit and have been made new creatures in Christ

are you following along?

Paul addresses sin in this church. One sin was sectarianism...picking one minister over another....

Paul rebukes them...he wants to speak to them as Spiritual brothers...instead of the natural unsaved men from 2:14 who cannot receive the truth of God.

Pay attention DHK...hint and explanation: in the text itself

1]He calls them brethren- christians , spiritual men-
    2] and yet says .....he cannot speak to them AS SPIRITUAL......get it.

They are Spiritual Brothers-saved....but they are acting out of character by committing this sin......
    How do we know that.....because he says instead of speaking to them

AS UNTO CARNAL.... he does not say they are carnal christians as if there was such a thing,,, he says they as carnal....as the unsaved....

the sources I provided for you show from the greek words used from chapter 2 and 3 that is exactly what Paul is teaching...

For you to dismiss the teaching is on you. So no...I would never suggest anyone can refute God's word as you post. I just refute your posting of error concerning it:thumbs:

Your false statements are being refuted.the text is clear.

If I say a persons skin is very rough....as leather.....that does not mean the skin is leather. paul does the same thing here.

The carnal christian heresy is a product of the notes in the scofield bible, which the article references directly...before you hysterically cry about that also. If you read the article or listened to sound teaching on it , it would spare you from this diversion that you are employing.

I will not lose any sleep over you believing or not believing the truth here.

Let me ask you something DHK...do you believe as christians we should seek truth in doctrine,and more important to be truthful and not mis-represent others even in a forum such as this????

Your concern for how this forum appears to others should be reflected in how you post also.

I offered to read any link by your man , Hunt or any other who opposes truth...so bring it on if you can.

So instead of waiting for me to recant...I am waiting for you to offer your articles ,sermons or whatever.

Do not lie my friend ..DHK...I offered you an answer maybe a year ago...you know it.....do not make me dig it out of the archives..That would be embarassing for you.

I have to go back to work now....nice to visit with you:wavey:

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

QF,

Man is responsible before God to make the right choice in every part of life.
    Man is fully responsible. A sinner is bound by his nature.
    When a sinner acts with contrary choice..does what we would say is the right thing...that is the common grace of God at work, restraining sin in this world.
    Abel obeyed God ,and we have no indication that Abel provoked Cain.

His brother had a hidden agenda against him that was boiling up and results in his murdering his brother. he had the opportunity to do well and be accepted,and yet he sinned against his brother.
    He had the word of God and instruction not to do this...and yet he sinned.

When someone twists someones words to make a case against them, there is a hidden turmoil that is boiling away.....when they get the chance, they unleash it like we see in this account.....sin lieth at the door.

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello Thomas,

I would prefer to move forward, but am being pulled back. Truth is important in a public forum, and in private life. An examination of this thread will reveal the sequence of events as they have unfolded.
    Sometimes these issues of truth have to be hashed out, before progress can take place.

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I started this thread, and appreciate DHK steering it back to its original intent. What is the line between opinion and heresy? This was never meant to be a rant by an out of control poster.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You mean this quote where he says that most of you Calvinists are Christians???
    What is he referring to when he refers to "this false gospel of Calvinism"?
    Go back and check. He is right. No one can be saved through any other gospel but that which Paul preached (Gal.1:8), and that isn't Calvinism. If he does he is accursed. Calvinism is not the gospel; it is a system of theology. One doesn't get saved by embracing Calvinism.
    Most are saved before embracing Calvinism. Is that not correct?
    My wife was born into the Presbyterian church. Her baptism did not save her. That is Calvinism. Is that what you preach? Take Calvinism all the way. It ends up at Presbyterianism. That is what Calvin was--the founder of the Presbyterian Church.

Salvation if by grace through faith and that not of yourself.
    Hunt believes that; I believe that, and to my knowledge you also believe the same.
    That being the case what has he said that is wrong?

Your slander is wrong.

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Having been a member of a PCA church for 25 years, there was never a debate on God's sovereignty, predestination, or election. My original reasoning for joining a Baptist church 35 years ago was baptism, local church autonomy, and hierarchies. In local church life, there is a difference of opinion on God's sovereignty, but it is not a constant debate or source of discussion. It has never affected church unity.

The constant threads on this subject are two man made positions, Calvinism and Arminianism. Then there is another way to look at the subject, the Bible. There are some on this board that have freed themselves from the two position arguing that has produced nothing. There is always a way that seems right to man (both sides), that leads to destruction.

The purpose of this thread is to get some to realize the seriousness of words like heretic, heresy, idolitry, and idol worship. KJVO and Calvin threads seem to lead the way to the loose use of these words.

The issue of Mr. Hunt and the carnal Christian have been totally misrepresented by one poster. When called on it by a spiritually mature poster, the person refuses to listen. The truth is obvious. It is obvious there is no in depth theological thinking. This person does the five point Calvinist position no favors.

There is a time for debate, sometimes sharp, and a time for edifying posts. However, a poster that never gives an encouraging word or uplifting message is out of control.

When someone constantly says to several posters "you are not interested in the truth" or "you believe in false doctrine" or you are arrogant, then, as indirect as it may seem, you might as well call the unsaved, lost, or a heretic. This is the exact thing this thread is trying to stop.

#95 saturneptune, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2013
  16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Please understand the Scripture:

1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
    The word "answer" or "defense" is not the Greek word for "audio sermon."
    Peter's intention was that you prepare your heart with the Word of God and give a defense with the Word.
    I accept a Biblical view.
    That is not true. It is an artificial dichotomy imposed by you (and perhaps others) that the Bible does not teach.
    First the two kinds of people in the world are the lost and the saved.
    But among the saved there are many type of Christians: carnal and otherwise. Sometimes you make carnal posts. So do others. To eliminate carnality from the Christian life is to eliminate various stages of spiritual growth and/or the entire process of sanctification. This is what Paul was teaching them. They were still babes in Christ. They hadn't grown in the Lord. They were not yet able to eat meat.

Every Christian grows at different rates. It is a lifelong process called sanctification. What did Paul say in the beginning of the chapter?

1 Corinthians 1:2 Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:
    --Who were these people in chapter three?
    1. Brethren.
    2. the sanctified in Christ Jesus.
    3. called to be saints.

Verse seven says that they had all the spiritual gifts available to them. No unsaved person has that access. They were Christians, carnal, but Christians. They had been sanctified initially at salvation--that is initially set apart for God and from the world. But sanctification is a process as well. And they had not grown as Paul said they should have grown. Therefore they were carnal.
    Not every Christian is a "supersaint." Some are carnal, worldly, etc.
    We all grow at different rates. Sanctification is a process. You don't reach the plateau of Christianity the day you are saved. That "Lordship Salvation" philosophy is the next thing to heresy if it isn't.
    They were all sins of carnality--sins of the flesh.
    1Cor.2:14 is set in contrast to the two previous verses (12,13). We have the Spirit indwelling us in contrast to the unsaved which does not and therefore cannot understand spiritual things. You are not looking at this in the right context. Furthermore, saved individuals who live like the unsaved may be carnal Christians. Do people know that you are a Christian all the time wherever you go?
    That is right. He speaks to them as carnal for they were carnal.
    And therefore they are carnal Christians; backslidden Christians if you will. They are acting somewhat like the unsaved. They have not grown. They are still on milk. Sanctification is a process.
    You don't read carefully enough or far enough into the text. The first verse uses the expression "as carnal." Read verse 3:

1 Corinthians 3:3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

It is plain that he calls them carnal Christians. YOU ARE CARNAL.
    It is not as carnal here, but rather they are carnal. It can't get any plainer.
    I don't use the Scofield Bible.
    This thread is about heresy. Paul doesn't preach heresy. To deny what Paul is teaching would be sad. But to call what Paul teaches heresy, would be even worse.
    I was saved when I was 20, having never heard the gospel before that time. If Lordship salvation was true, then I, as an ignorant and Biblically illiterate Christian should have gone to the mission field right away. There were many things in my life that the Lord had to change. I did not become a mature 20 year old Christian in one day. It is a process called sanctification. If you deny the fact that there are carnal Christians you might as well deny that a process called sanctification exists. You start denying one part of the Bible and you just don't stop. In this one example all three doctrines:
    "carnal christian philosophy"
    Lordship salvation
    and the doctrine of sanctification itself
    are either attacked or redefined as heresy.
    I have already given you a couple of quotes.
    I don't live in the past; I live in the present. I suggest you do the same.

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK

QUOTE]You mean this quote where he says that most of you Calvinists are Christians???[/QUOTE]

No.....this one-

Paul preached every point of Calvinism throughout his writings.He speaks of the gospel being the power of God unto salvation.He speaks of the gospel as according to the scriptures.....all the scriptures and the truths of God's covenant love for his elect. This is known as Calvinism.There is no other gospel.

Paul links the historic facts of the gospel...to the writings...the scriptures...all of them.

While it is a system of theology.....it is the good news of scripture.It is the teaching Jesus gave. When we are drawn to Jesus by the Spirit...they get Him and His doctrine....we call it calvinism. It is simply the teaching of scripture.

Most are saved before embracing any part of theology in great detail.
    Sinners are saved by God.....many times knowing very little of theological positions historically held .
    I am glad that God saves sinners however he saves them.
    To suggest that someone has to be schooled in every facet of theology of any kind is foolish. Sinners are saved by God when he quickens them.
    ?

Now you repeat Hunt's error. Biblical Presbyterians do not hold to baptismal regeneration. That is a false idea held by baptists who do not understand the Padeo view, but make a caricature out of it...so they do not have to deal with it honestly.

In speaking of calvinism we are 9 times out of ten speaking of the 5 points...not Calvins total theology....so i am not going to quibble about words.

I have seen you acknowledge that we all believe this. Hunt having said what he did in 2005...got ripped everywhere for his false comments.
    If he has amended them...that would be progress.

It is not slander to quote what he said directly......

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK

I know what the verse means DHK. If we were face to face....I can make such a defense. That being said.....if we were in the first century and the Apostle Paul was in town, or Peter...i would be foolish to ignore them or their wisdom to come to scriptural truth.
    For you to resist or despise audio sermons,commentaries, or any teaching that offers correction is exceedingly foolish.
    The reason you do not look at these sources is that it would force you to give up these false ideas you express,and yet you tell me to seek truth?

You say you accept a biblical view, and yet when i offer you teaching from men who teach the greek and hebrew....you do not welcome it. This does not add up.:thumbs:

I said:
    There are only two kinds of men DHK..carnal/spiritual....
    Of course it is true. I will quote from one of the links you do not want to read;

In Romans 8:1-9 there is a division stated, but it is not between carnal and spiritual Christians. It is a division between those who walk after the flesh (the unregenerate) and those who walk after the Spirit (they that are Christ's). There is no third category.

Correct...just as the link says.and as I said also.

No...this is the beginning of your false reasoning. here again from the article you do not want to consider;
    Again, in Galatians 5:17-24 we have only two classes or categories -- those that do the works of the flesh and those that are led by the Spirit. There is no third or fourth class or group.
    My purpose, then, in these pages is to contend that the division of Christians into two groups or classes is unbiblical. I want also to show the dangerous implications and present-day results of this teaching.

No one denies sanctification, In fact the correct biblical teaching of sanctification eliminates the false idea of so called carnal chrisitans completely.

--

No one says they were not christians....if a person can be categorized as carnal.....they are not christians but carnal in the heart.

no....

Yes...that is why Paul was rebuking them.
    wrong conclusion on your part.
    Super saint??? no....Saints yes...spiritual ...yes

No...not one Paul is clear here and in romans 8......carnal or spiritual but not both at the same time.

Correct... we can agree here.

Anyone who is a christian knows Jesus as Lord.....
    36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

they do NOT make Him Lord.....He is Lord.

They were all sins of carnality--sins of the flesh.

No...they are carnal in the heart.Saved individuals do not practice sin,living like the unsaved.
    15 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.

16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

A backslider is an apostate biblically.....that is another thread.

Paul rebuked them for it. the "audio sermons you do not want to listen to, make it clear opening up the greek words and tenses....

There are only spiritual christians biblically. new creatures in Christ.

Well then...stop denying this passage and romans 8

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK,

You and others are hung up on Calvin.We are not discussing him.

Calvinism is the overall teaching. You have stated your view,We do not agree on much.If someone is not teaching what is known as calvinism they have a defective gospel.Thankfully God is sovereign and will save All that The Father gives to the Son, despite weak teaching that abounds.
    The other errors discussed lead to heresy that the Op was getting at. You have still avoided the links as I knew you would. If you want to offer things from your man dave hunt, start a new thread and have at it.

Ps.... I would go to many a biblical Presbyterian church who hold to scripture, than many false and compromising baptist churches who turn from the historic faith. Some who compromise truth to say they get along with tares do no favor to the Cause of God and truth.
    I am a baptist however,who holds the biblical teaching that is described as Calvinism. the Ot saints were ...calvinists...before calvin was born.That is what you do not grasp .

#100 Iconoclast, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013