1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lined-out Hymnody: Music of the Old Regular Baptists

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by convicted1, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

I agree that most people, especially in the mountains of KY, VA, etc were probably, in some cases, completely illiterate. This reasoning makes sense for most ORBs, Primitives and United Baptists of those areas to continue in the tradition of lined out singing seeing how they occupy those areas the most. My mom often talks about her days in the Old Regular Baptist church of how they were dependent on the preacher (or appointed song leader) to bring his songbook to church.

I'm still looking for documentation on why it started in the British Isles during the 1600s (roughly) and why it would suddenly take place of choir singing or whatever was considered the norm of that time. I've seen some writings on it, but I can't, for the life of me, remember where.

David

Another website of ORBs and United Baptists lining out songs: Digital Library of Appalachia

#21 Bethelassoc, Feb 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2007
  2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I don't recall where I read the history of "lined songs" but as I remember, the "lined songs" are older than the note songs. If I remember correctly when the notes songs were introduced into the churches there was trouble among the churches for some did not believe in note book singing. I could be wrong.

3. amity

amity New Member

Yikes! I certainly was NOT talking about the mountains of Kentucky or Virginia, but England of the 15th through 17th centuries when lined out psalmody was developed. At some point it becomes a beloved and comfortable practice and we do it for that reason, long after we have all learned to read and can well afford songbooks. I certainly didn't mean to call anyone's literacy today into question!

Yes, the lined out singing goes back to the earliest days of the reformation. Singing by note started in the early 1700s as far as I know. Shapenote hymnody for our purposes dates to 1801, although there were earlier versions going back as far as the 1500s or earlier in Europe. See the recent thread on Exclusive Psalmody for some resources on the history of lining out.

This website has some MP3s of metrical psalms which are lined out. Click on the album covers to get to the MP3s. There is also a bit of history in the links at the sidebar. They are faster and less ornamented than what I have heard of the Old Regulars. But this is where the ORB practice came from, I don't doubt:

http://www.gaelicpsalmsinging.com/index.php

Here is a quote: "In 1643 the Westminster Assembly of Divines enacted "that for the present where many of the congregation cannot read, it is convenient that the minister or some other fit person appointed by him, and the other ruling officers do read the psalm, line by line, before the singing thereof.""

Brother Bob, there can still be trouble over the note books! A friend of mine went to a Primitive Baptist meeting up in Kentucky (Powell Valley, I think) where the singing was lined out, and stayed with a family there. As a housewarming gift she took a copy of a songbook we use here in Texas, the Harp of Ages, which has shapenotes. She presented it to the matriarch of the family the next morning at breakfast, who refused to take it, saying "that's a devil-book."

#23 amity, Feb 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2007
  4. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

Sorry, Amity. I should've explained when those areas were first settled. That's what I meant to say. I've heard preachers that preached that couldn't read one bit of scripture, though but their wives read it to them and they memorized.

David

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I think I might know them. :) [​IMG]

BTW; I know one fellow here in KY that is not too bright. :) [​IMG]

6. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

Amity, thanks for pointing that quote out to me. I found the same quote in a CD jacket I bought my wife over 8 years ago. It gives the same information that the history section of that website gave. I need to brush off the dust on some of my information once in a while and read up. :tonofbricks:

While I was going through what I got her, I found a couple pamphlets on precenting from the Free Church in Scotland. It came with a cassette but...to find that...:confused: :laugh:

David

Well, it can't be you Bro. Bob. I've learned alot from your postings and look forward to more wisdom passed out. :)

7. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I listened to a few of these songs on a couple site y'all posted. One word.

Haunting!

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

May God rest your soul.

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

RE: ORB music

I finally got my 2 ORB CDs in yesterday!!! YAY!! I listened to them on the way to and from work, as well as, while at work. They were better than I could have ever HOPED for!! Go to www.songsearch.com if you don't want to use a credit card via the internet. I went this route. They have a phone # at the top of the page. You can call 8-5 or 9-5 pst.....11-8 or 12-8 est. They will give you the mailing addy...they will accept money orders or checks, too.