1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Linux? OpenOffice?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Hardsheller, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Anybody using Linux Operating system? I need some advice about making the switch. I'm interested in putting Linux on a Pentium Pro 200 Digital Computer that I will use in my Pastor's Study at Church.

I have Win 98 SE on that machine now.

Should I make the switch to Linux or just get a copy of OpenOffice for Windows and be content with that?

I also want to connect remotely to my Win XP machine at home - Can you do that with Linux?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

2. NateT

NateT Member

Been away from linux for a while now. But I really enjoyed my linux system with the KDE shell for XWindows. I used star office at the time(it used to be free) and never had any problems with Word docs. Now I use Open Office (the same APIs as star, but its free) on XP and haven't had any problems with it. Its MUCH better than the Star Office 5.0.

The only reason I quit linux, was that I was running a dual boot. My computer crashed, I think in the middle of the semester. Didn't have time to get the dual boot back withclasses and all, so I just went with Windows.

3. jasonW*

jasonW* New Member

Well, I use GNU/Linux (Redhat 8.0) for my machines at work and at home. I do have an XP laptop at home because the wife won't allow me to go completely Open Source.

I use Open Office for all my documentation needs. I find it does a great, though not flawless, job of handling all the documents I get on a daily basis at work (BRDs, SRDs, slideshows, spreadsheets). I have also edited and saved documents and sent them around to people at work and they don't know I am not using windows or MS Office.

The reason I went linux all those years ago was because I am a computer developer. I liked having my own compilers and having complete control over my system. Now, I like that I can customize the look and feel anyway I want. With Java programs becoming more and more prevalent and Mono (Open Source .NET) growing more and more mature every day, I think the future is bright for desktop computing, not to mention developer computing, in Linux.

Should you use it? I can't say. My wife didn't like it much, but she is "used" to windows now.

Like I said, it all depends on what you want to do. OpenOffice for windows is one way to go, and it might make any future transition easier.

Just so you know, using Linux means some sacrifices. Web sites look for IE and program to IE spec (think ESPN.com and their new ESPNMotion) instead of the open standards that all the browswers cover (Mozilla, Netscape, IE, Opera....).

Also, using Linux involves a learning curve..and this curve might be steeper than the curve associated with Windows.

You might want to look at something called Lindows (www.lindows.com) or, if you go with a free distro, try Mandrake (www.mandrake.com).

Best of luck,
    jason