1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Linux

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Eric Kenney, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Eric Kenney

Eric Kenney New Member

I heard Somesay It was impossible to get a virus with lunux and i know Linux Isnt really Owned by someone . the people that own it (programmers) Update it and make it better. But will microsoft products work on it like The Ofice Xp 5 pack , Video Games For Windows or Mac .If not its not worth getting.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are plenty of games, office-type products, etc. that will run on Linux; but I don't believe Microsoft makes versions of OfficeXP that work under Linux. You'd need to download StarOffice, or something similar.

You just need to ensure that the software is useable under Linux before downloading or buying, and then ensure that you're downloading the Linux version.

And there are some computer viruses that were created to affect Linux systems--as well as anti-virus programs to guard against those viruses. Linux just doesn't have weekly notices about "security holes" like Microsoft does.

[ August 25, 2002, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Don ]

3. BrianT

BrianT New Member

"wine" (which is short for "Windows Emulator", see http://www.winehq.com ) will run most Windows programs on Linux.

4. jcrowe

jcrowe New Member

FYI:

Linux is set up so that normal users on the machine cannot change/harm any other portion of the operating system. If someone did create a virus for linux it could not harm the rest of the system (unless the user is root). Most anti-virus software that runs on linux is made in order to check email/files for viruses as they pass through. In other words it's there for windows users.

Most windows apps won't run on Linux (even if you use wine). This is a good thing in my opinion. Propeitary software has a tendency to be buggier than open source software. So users should push for open source applications before they push for closed source linux versions.

Like it was stated before, Linux has several open source office suites. Open Office is on of the best office suits availibly. I use it on both linux & windows.

Linux is a great operating system that is used by more & more people every day. You should give it a try if possible.

5. jasonW*

jasonW* New Member

This is true, but if you NEED to run windows apps you can use VMWare. I have a particularlly sweet Oracle DB product called SQL Navigator by Quest. It won't run in Linux (when will they release a Java version. I mean, come on!) so if I want to use it on Linux, I have to use VMWare.

Not to mention if you use Ximian Gnome for sawfish(sawfish is a window manager, Ximain Gnome is a UI for sawfish. They are REALLY easy to install and get working) you get AbiWord, Gnumeric Spreadsheet and Ximain Evolution (which looks JUST like MS Outlook and even has a plugin letting you connect to a MS Exchange Server). All of these are open and use standards. Gotta love using standards.

Also, if you look hard enough, there is pretty much no application you can't find for Linux that you would use on windows. The trick is getting them all to work. Sometimes that could be frustrating, but when it is all done, well worth it.

In Christ,
    jason

[ September 09, 2002, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: jasonW* ]

6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I'm not a Linux guy (I'm Mac OS X - Unix with a very useable GUI on top), getting away from Microsoft products and Windows is always a good idea. Linux is very attractive for those who still want lots of computing power in an inexpensive hardware box. Investigate your options and get free of the security nightmare that is Microsoft!

7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm with Baptist Believer on this one, especially if you do a little vpn or home networking. Inspite of all the ads and promos, Windows sucks !
    XP especially can give you a problem with routers.
    The Linksys non-routable IP will not release/renew
    and the MS default 169.x.x. can be a headache.
    Haven't heard too many complaints with Unix, though.

8. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

9. InHim2002

InHim2002 New Member

there are viruses for linux - here is a description of one

you don't come across many because linux isn't that widely used. I duel boot my laptop between suse and xp - I like them both.

10. Pete

Pete New Member

What a topic to come back to [​IMG]

Linux IS a virus [​IMG]

Ignore me, I've just had a couple of (self-inflicted) bad days [​IMG] I partitioned drive & installed Linux on Monday night, not a problem. However it did not want to detect printer, or connect to net, so I got grumpy and took it out.

Now instead of going carefully and getting partition back for windoze, I got a bit carried away and....well, to cut a long story short....FDISK & FORMAT worked wonders.

So I'm now back running the virus I originally had...WINDOWS! I don't know wether to [​IMG] or [​IMG] or :mad: or :rolleyes: or...

Pete

11. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Come to Mac OS X... :D

It's Unix with a clean GUI that is incredibly stable and powerful. [​IMG]

I gave up Windows three years ago and I'm now more productive than ever. And if you don't think you can live without Office, don't worry... a better version of Office is available for OS X (those are Microsoft's words, not mine). :D

12. jcrowe

jcrowe New Member

Titus2_1

What distrobution of Linux did you install? If you would like everything to be automaticly detected I would suggest that you try Mandrake version 9. It is the most user friendly version available. If you need disk I could send them to you.

13. Pete

Pete New Member

Baptist Believer, Apple, rotten to the core! :D ;)

jcrowe, HAHAHAHHAHA It was Mandrake 9 that I tried [​IMG] Oh well [​IMG] It looked like it might be worth some experimenting with later on. Maybe one day if I get another box [​IMG]

Pete