1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured List of Megachurches

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by InTheLight, Feb 21, 2014.

1. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1250 more people and we can make the list...... :jesus:

2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

He had a serious rift with his father over his divorce. He had expected his father to step down from his position, but FBC Atlanta, through a vote of confidence, asked Charles to remain. There was several years of difficulty between Andy and his father. Andy resigned from First Atlanta, with no plans or place to go, a group of confidants approached Andy about starting a new church, through much prayer and provision, North Point was born. It was modeled after Andy's idea when First Atlanta commissioned him, while on staff, to begin a new site due to the growth problems and facilities issues that First Atlanta was experiencing.

That in a nut shell is the beginnings of North Point. Now there is, I think 4 sites in the Metro Atlanta area, and numerous Strategic Partnerships (like ours).

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Please, I would appreciate it; tell me which preacher I did bash?

And I do not belong to an Old Regular Baptist Church and never have. So please don't judge them by anything I may say.

I belong to a Southern Baptist Church, always have. I also belong to that universal Church for which Jesus Christ died just so you know!

4. OldRegular

Andy Stanley's stance on homosexuality questioned

But since you asked!

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Ick...........

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I was aware of most of what you said. But would you agree that a good portion of Andys sucess was his last name?

7. quantumfaith

Perhaps "bash" was an incorrect word. Your expression of dislike for Andy is what I intended.

As for the Old Regular....well I guess that was my misunderstanding as well.

I responded, simply because I sometimes "tire" at the criticism towards Andy. I don't think I express contempt or disdain for other preachers.

8. quantumfaith

Last names can give ANYONE a starting point in life....true. That is certainly true of any endeavor or vocation in life. However, if one is not gifted, be it, a calling to preach, or an opportunity to run some kind of business. They will most likely not succeed "on their own" if they do poorly.

I guess I don't understand your "point" as to the impact of his family name. Charles had no input into Andy's ministry.

9. quantumfaith

We do not, and refuse to exclude someone from worship, on the grounds that they are homosexual. We do refuse and disallow "service" in the church for those who "profess" homosexuality. We believe that the message of the Grace of God is for Everyone. That God can heal and forgive their sin, just as He can heal and forgive the sin of YOU and ME (assuming that you like me are not HS)

If you wish to hang out a sign that HS are not allowed in your church, go ahead. My hope is that some may be touched by the message of God's grace and power over sin, and experience life change as a result.

FTR, I personally abhor militant homosexuality. But I also do all in my power to see it for what it is, rebellion against God. The same as the sin that YOU and I also commit and face in our lives. Personally, if you think homosexual conduct is entirely a "choice", I think you are wrong. It seems evident, that there is some form of a genetic contributor, how strong of a component, I cannot say.

10. OldRegular

Actually I was not expressing any like or dislike for Andy Stanley. i have never heard him speak but was aware of the Issue I later posted.

I have observed that basketball arena full of, I assume Osteen admirers, and heard Osteen speak an instant or so. I simply envisioned Stanley in the same setting with a congregation of ~30,000. Apparently that is not the case but the number of ~30,000 includes satellite congregations.

In Appalachia my fathers people were all Old Regular Baptists. Many were preachers.

As noted above I was not criticizing Andy. If I knew more perhaps I would. I certainly have questions about the incident I posted. As I recall there was a thread on that issue at the time. i have no recollection of participation at that time.

#30 OldRegular, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2014
  11. OldRegular

I believe homosexuality is a choice and not genetic. In discussing this issue I have expressed the possibility that a male with effeminate traits or a female with masculine traits could be pushed toward homosexual behavior by the attitude of critics! I don't know.

I do not believe a Church can refuse to allow anyone to attend worship services as long as they are not disorderly. That being said I do not believe those living in a homosexual relationship should be accepted as members of a Church. I would say the same about those living with a partner of the opposite sex, either in adultery or fornication.

12. quantumfaith

We would agree then. We do not have "church membership", however, those who assume some role of responsibility, particularly in the area of leadership and/or teaching must go through a "vetting" process. A person in some form of open illicit relationship would not be permitted to serve.

13. quantumfaith

Thank you. Although I have a great respect and admiration for Andy. I do not "cast myself" before his altar. I think he is an exceptional communicator of the Gospel. I think he challenges us to think about God's Grace in ways we often do not. I too, was to some degree "uncomfortable" with the illustration that you mentioned in "When Gracie met Truthy" Perhaps (I don't know, not having a "personal" relationship with Andy) it was of those poorly constructed illustrations that all preachers are guilty of from time to time. The point and context of the entire message was a simple observation, that we, in the community of christianity and the churches in which we worship often lean heavily to one side of the scale......Grace vs. Truth

When we MAJOR on grace, we often let slide truths dwindle into obscurity, and we tend not to stand for essential principles

When we MAJOR on truth, we tend to ignore the grace side of the equation, and more easily fall into judgemental positions.