1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured List of White Privilege Proofs Examined

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Sapper Woody, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

RT, I'm trying to say this without being overly confrontational, but you're dead wrong here. You said exactly what Matt said that you said. In your last post, you didn't go back far enough.

You said
    Here you confirm that it only takes one person (Matt) to get away with saying that word in order for it to not be a privilege of black people. There's no ifs, ands, or butts about it. It's right there. He got away with it, so it's not a black privilege. That's your words, not his.

So, Matt replied to that
    Here he is calling your bluff. You said that since he, as a single person, got away with using that word, it was not a black privilege. So, now he's calling you on that, asking that if he finds a single person getting away with the items on that list, then the items on the list are no longer eligible to be considered white privilege. All he's doing here is using your own words.

He did something, disqualifying it to be a black privilege. Therefore, if any black person does anything on that list, it is disqualified from being a white privilege. It is your logic.

Then, you respond
    Wait now, back up. If Matt as a single white person can disqualify something as being a black privilege, then saying that black people as a whole have to get away with something for it to disqualify something as being white privilege, you just created a double standard. This is why he called you a hypocrite.

I am not saying you meant it this way (to make an obvious double standard), but that's exactly what you did. Now, I'm not going to call you a hypocrite without giving you a chance to explain yourself. But, what you said was clearly hypocritical. Hopefully you meant something else, and are not a hypocrite. In your last post, you said that you meant that "white people" using that word made it not a black privilege. But that's not what you said earlier. You said that Matt's use of it made it not a black privilege.

By the way, I know this will mean nothing to you, but you owe Matt an apology. His reading comprehension was fine in this case. You clearly made a double standard. You explained it away in your last post, but his comprehension of your original words was spot on.

Also, calling someone a hypocrite is not name calling. It's the same as calling someone an alcoholic. It's not name calling. It's a diagnosis, even if made wrongly.

2. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow?! And many on the board jump all me for using "Negro?" I guess folks give swag a pass. Black privilege, maybe?

3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Methinks you are dealing with the zaac's evil twin. You can't win, though you had excellent points, most of which, were ignored.

4. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sapper, I will admit it is hard for me to take offense to what you say since you have shown Christian character in how you conduct yourself on BB.

Now let’s see…

When I said that his use of the word proves that it isn’t a Black privilege meaning white people obviously use it like in that instance…not that a single person can prevent a thing from being a privilege. Which is why when he said…

I then said NO…

…to emphasize that one person is not the agent for something such as privilege.

So you’re right when you said…

That is me further clarifying it.

Now I agree, I can see where I caused confusion in not clarifying what I meant earlier. Which is why I said…

Me again further clarifying it.

Then I tried to make it as clear as possible in my last post which is why you said…

Now as far as…

…you don’t know me very well. I have no problem apologizing for being wrong.

Which is why…
    1. I will not hesitate to apologize for not saying what I meant (I know that’s the number rule for communication).
    2. I most definitely apologize to matt wade FOR challenging his comprehension ability.

Now Sapper up to this point (barring the “I know this will mean nothing to you…” comment) I’m in agreement with you.

But on this…

While I see labeling someone a “hypocrite” is a diagnosis, matt wade was wrong for calling me that. You were Christian enough to say…

Matt was not.

Labeling someone “unsaved” is a diagnosis, but the rules here on BB prohibit that.

Labeling someone “a fool” is a diagnosis, but Jesus prohibits that.

So if throwing the accusation of “unsaved” is wrong in that it is prohibited here on BB, and throwing the accusation of “fool” is wrong in that it will send someone to hell, then throwing the accusation of “hypocrite” is also wrong. Even accusations such as calling someone an...

...is wrong.

Like I said I’m Christian enough to apologize to Matt for the confusion and attacking his reading comprehension ability…now I want to see if Matt is Christian enough to apologize for hastily calling me a hypocrite.

#44 robustheologian, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2015
  5. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Thank you for those kind words. In the last few weeks I have been posting less, as I have felt myself becoming increasingly frustrated towards those who do not share my viewpoint, and I feel that it was just best to let myself simmer. You know, the whole "If you can't say something nice..."

In my opinion, here is where the meeting of the minds did not occur. In your mind, you were saying (and I paraphrase to explain my understanding) "No, that's not what I meant, I meant that you were representative of white people being comfortable saying that word, so it isn't a black privilege." In his mind (and admittedly mine when I first read it) it became, "No, it doesn't work that way for you, only them."

I think it's easy to see how tension mounted at that point. And I think we are on the same page so far.

You are right. I do not know you very well. I made an assumption without basis, and I apologize to you for that.

I appreciate your words. Hopefully he will, too.

I will agree that his calling you a hypocrite was hasty. I will disagree that it was necessarily wrong, for had it been born out of a proper understanding, it would have been correct. The problem was the miscommunication that so often happens in text only discussions. However, if it were me in his shoes, I would apologize - not for calling you a hypocrite - but for jumping to the hasty conclusion that you were a hypocrite.

On a side note, l might start a thread at some point on the issue of name calling, and try an do an in depth look at what Jesus meant in that passage. I don't believe it is as cut and dried as you are portraying it, but that is another discussion for another day.

Before I close the post, thank you for your kind response. I judged you too harshly, assuming that your response to my post would be a lot more confrontational.

#45 Sapper Woody, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2015
  6. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All is well.

I look forward to the discussion.

7. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I guess cancer patients are also privileged because they get to use cancer wards and get away with it and people without cancer can't.

Oh and let's not forget those gay folks with their own stores and parades catering to their needs. Where on earth are the straight stores and straight parades?

And darn those Jews. How dare they with privilege get special food when none of the rest of us get special food.

And as was said, you just used the word and got away with it, so where's the Black privilege?

8. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Yes, they are privileged to utilize those facilities, by the very definition you thumbs uped. (A privilege is a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group of people.)

I don't believe this fits the definition.

I can eat the same food (and sometimes do).

So you are of the opinion that if a single white person gets away with it in a single instance that it cancels out Black Privilege? Would you agree that a single black person getting away with something on your list would cancel out White Privilege?

9. matt wade

I will not apologize for hastily calling you anything. Your words were very clear and it was your fault the confusion abounded.

Now that you have clarified your position I will retract my statement that you are a hypocrite however.

10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I don't deal in opinions. As you just exampled, being Black doesn't privilege them to being able to say something in the same way as being white would privilege you to get a mortgage where they couldn't.

White privilege is canceled out by white people acknowledging their privilege and taking steps to fix it.

11. matt wade

Black people are privileged to call other people black people niggers, true or false?

12. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I knew you wouldn't...that would be too Christ-like if you did.

13. matt wade

And if your apology was sincere you would own up to the issue being on your side and not place stipulations on your apology (such that I should apologize as well).

I may have to rethink the retraction of hypocrite. It appears you probably are one after all.

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Black people are privileged to avail themselves of the same free speech as are white people, as you once again exampled.

15. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Double-minded I see...James 1:8

So now if you call me a hypocrite, that means in the eyes of God you're the one that's the hypocrite (Matt. 7:1-2)...makes sense.

Also, if name calling is against God's will (Matt. 5:22), and only those that do the will of God will enter heaven (Matt. 7:21-23), then the logical conclusion would be..........never mind I'm sure that doesn't concern you. I'll be praying for you.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was just wondering what kind of privilege that BB members would have if we were to get arrested

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites!"

Hmmm....so Jesus was "unsaved". I see.