1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Little Big Horn

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by saturneptune, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, the state will come over there with more and bigger guns.
    Everyday, individuals are deprived of liberty and property as punishment for their crimes. Less often and less than it is deserved, some are deprived of life.

That principle is in force every day. There would be no civilization without it.

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. Their pagan and diabolical codes notwithstanding, they were lawless.

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must admit it kinda surprises me to see you catching all this flak over this. I understand where you're coming from, I believe others have too:

“Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains. A vitiated state of morals, a corrupted public conscience, is incompatible with freedom. No free government, or the blessings of liberty, can be preserved to any people but by a firm adherence to justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue; and by a frequent recurrence to fundamental principles.” Patrick Henry

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is a good list to begin with to point out that the level of a group's savagery has little to no relation to their outward disposition and appearance.

In other words: Just because the white Western European Colonialists came wearing "civilized" clothing, carrying "civilized" books, and speaking in "civilized" ways doesn't make them less lawless than the "savages" they committed genocide against.

It's odd that some would claim inter-tribal wars, generational destruction, religious based conflicts, and carrying others off into slavery are examples of savagery and lawlessness...

...because that is exactly the modus operandi of Western European Colonialists.

5. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one is arguing that the Native Americans were saints or even good people. We're agreeing that righteousness does exalt a nation and that sin is a reproach to any people.

What I am disagreeing about is that because of this anyone can just come in and take over. When a criminal goes to court and is judged guilty, they sometimes do have to forfeit property and the like. But this is after a court of law has ruled. So what court ruled the natives were so lawless that they could be taken over?

And, what made those who made treaties and broke every treaty they made into the righteous taking over the unrighteous?

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "God enlarge Japheth, And let him dwell in the tents of Shem..."

Guess whose descendants those white European colonists were that subjugated the natives of the Americas. It definitely smacks of 'manifest destiny' to me.

Do you believe God blessed America and made her great? I do.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one said that. What was said was that lawless inhabitants have no legitimate claim to the land, and that the land is there for those who will subdue it and bring forth its fruits.
    The powers that be, and that were ordained of God.

This is a one-sided and oversimplification of a whole nuther topic.

8. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guess we're disagreeing, but I appreciate the conversation. Made me think.

9. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Concerning the atrocities committed against the native Americans: 'They are not all Christ's, that are of Christianity' Ro 9:6.

#49 kyredneck, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2013
  10. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We don't know if GOD used the European invasion of North America to punish the Indians for idolatry or not. Yes, I know mosta those Europeans were no saints themselves, but GOD used the pagan Assyrians and Babylonians to punish many other idolatrous nations, including Israel and Judah when they strayed.

Trying to undo what happened to the Indians 150 years ago is akin to trying to undo the evils of slavery, as everyone who was involved on each side of the issues is long-dead. Our goal, in that respect, is to see those evils don't happen again.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

He blessed us as a gift and an act of mercy. Some act like we deserve it. Manifest Destiny is about as evil as it gets.

12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dad burn SN, now I probably won't sleep over eight hours tonight worrying about that. :D

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A whole continent of unclaimed land? Seems pretty manifest to me.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

How is it unclaimed? It had a governing authority. Just because someone does not dress like you and believe like you, does not make them lawless.

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Better start thinking about it, before you know it, GED graduates will take over yours.

16. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a GED graduate.