1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Living Deliberately

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854):
    Don't usually have much good to say about the Transcendentalist sect and never particularly liked Thoreau. But with my disease and limited prognosis, I feel exactly like "living deep" and "sucking the marrow of life" every day I can!

How would living by this philosophy relate to the Bible and a godly view of life?

2. David Mark

David Mark New Member

Dr. Bob, I am unaware of your situation.

For me, sucking the marrow out of life doesn't sound right for me and I will not meditate on that philosophy, it just sounds too Earthy for me to stomach. It sounds sort of like, "let's eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die". Bare with me, that is only my initial take on the phrase. I think I understand your view on it though and I think you may know how to make such a phrase work well for you.

Living one day (this day) at a time and living that day perfectly utterly consumes me. Having fellowship with God, my brothers and sisters and letting what light that might be in me shine to those who may be in the dark is what I seek now.

I am finding my first love again.

I want to live free and in peace and add to the marrow of life if I can.

Dave.

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Don't give up on this thought until you read the whole thing. [​IMG]

While I love the almost tangible feeling of the way it's written, there IS a point where one is no longer enjoying life for the sake of enjoying it, but taking pleasure in everything in life in order to defy death. Not that it's that big of a deal, but one can reach a point where they're so focused on thumbing their nose at death that it inadvertantly becomes an obsession and if truly thought about, one living like this would realize it's the thought of death controlling them, not the thought of life. Like going around stabbing everything for 10 years if you were told that you wouldn't have knives in ten years.

Now, that is how I view what the man wrote, but I'm pretty sure it's not how you feel it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I view you as the type of person that would truly understand that "sucking the marrow out of life" can be as simple as standing on a deck overlooking the trees and nature and truly appreciating the air you're breathing and the intense beauty of your natural surroundings, to no longer be consumed with the trivial things in life while at the same time being consumed with the trivial things of God, realizing that everything of man really is trivial and nothing of God, no matter how small, can really fit that definition no matter what others may think! A smile from a child, giggle from a grandson, the wind on your face, some good food on the grill, the love of a spouse, the intimacy of the Holy Spirit and glimpses of heaven we get through all of those things, those are marrow.

Gina

4. russell55

russell55 New Member

I think I agree with Gina.

For those who have the word "MORTAL" written on their forehead in larger letters than the rest of us, each small everyday experience takes on a new joy. They grasp it and cherish it, turning it over to examine it, because they know anytime they do it might be their last. They discern the good gifts of this world and also truly understand their temporality. Taking the dog for a walk, sitting at the table for supper with the family, exchanging smiles with a loved one--all these simple pleasures take on a new and deeper meaning, not because of an earthly focus, but because of a heavenly one.

This is what I think "sucking the marrow out of life" means.

5. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Phi 1:23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:
    Phi 1:24 Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.

6. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

For the Christian, death represents an incredible increase in the standard of living.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Appreciate the good thoughts. While I am thumbing my nose at the good doctors who have issued me a short sentence, I rest in the care of the Great Physician and trust Him implicitly.

But the picture of "living deliberately" and "sucking the marrow" probably hits EVERYONE at some point as we age. Somewhere we face being mortal and one salient fact that cannot be denied.

No one gets out of this world alive.

My defiance is toward the medical community (have to be careful; my wife is a doctor!) and hatred toward disease and death. I actually don't think I'm alone in this.

It is causing a new focus day-to-day on what I do and say -- what will be of eternal value. Probably spending time on the BB while doing therapy for an hour each morning and each late night IS of more value than I reckon.

8. russell55

russell55 New Member

And that's a wonderful thing. One of the blessings we're given in difficult times.