1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

London Baptist Confession of 1689: Do you hold to it?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Dale-c, Jun 13, 2007.

1. His Blood Spoke My Name

rbell.

This thread is about the 1689 LBF and if we hold to it.

Views have been brought up by many who have disagreed and agreed.

I pointed out that the wine mentioned in the LBF was referring to wine in the recognition of the Lord's Supper was to be 'wine as it was before'. It was non-alcoholic before, so I agreed with this Chapter of the confession concerning the Lord's Supper.

I do however disagree with Chapter 26... the Catholic Church being the elect.

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

fine....I thought the discussion was good...I just didn't want this thread to get "stuck" on one item...

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I don't know if you have a problem with "catholic" or "elect". If it's "catholic" that's just another word for universal. It doesn't mean the church in rome headed by the pope.

I don't want to belabor the point, but you have no right to take liberties with the language of the LBC. There is a comma after "wine". It is not saying "wine as it was before". It is saying, "they still remain truly and only bread and wine, as they were before." In other words, the bread and wine are not magically transubstantiated into the body and blood of Christ, as was believed by the Catholics. It has nothing to do with "as they used in NT times".

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

agreeing with npetreley...it's catholic (church as a whole, universal) with a lowercase "c." Not the Roman church.

5. His Blood Spoke My Name

Nor does it mean that the wine was alcoholic 1500+ years prior to the LBF being written. Since the Word of God proves it was not alcoholic, I believe the Word of God.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BSMN : tackle a different area . You are quite wearisome on the same old subject of wine/grape juice . Comment on specifics in the 1689 that pertain to soteriology , the Church , sanctification or something --- ANYTHING ELSE !

7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Although I like the LBC very much, I do think it goes too far in some areas. For example, I don't think we can assume the following exactly as it is worded, and it's not necessary to be that specific:

Who was given the righteous law? Adam? The Bible doesn't say that. Would the OT law have given life if man kept it? I don't think so. Jesus pretty much said it was a watered down version of God's righteousness. So this just doesn't sit right with me.

#47 npetreley, Jun 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2007
  8. His Blood Spoke My Name

Wine is one of the issues in the LBCoF, Rippon.

9. His Blood Spoke My Name

This post pretty much agrees with mk's post. That the only law give to Adam before the fall was not to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

#49 His Blood Spoke My Name, Jun 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2007
  10. rbell

rbell Active Member

Elaborate on this...

understanding that "catholic" means "universal," do you still have a problem with chapter 26?

11. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Not really. Adam and Eve were innocent. Nakedness becomes wrong when you go around naked knowing that it will ignite the lust of people who aren't innocent. I'm guessing (only a guess, folks) that they were ashamed because they lost their innocence and saw nakedness in a whole different way. I think the question was, "who told you that you were naked?" They weren't aware of their nakedness when they were innocent because there was nothing about which to be ashamed. (again, a guess)

12. His Blood Spoke My Name

Too many use the word 'elect' too loosely. Not everyone who is mentioned as being 'of Christ', or 'a believer' is said to be elect.

For instance, Paul never referred to himself as 'elect'.
    Also, I might add that in one of the epistles to Timothy, we learn there are 'elect angels'.

Just some thoughts.

13. His Blood Spoke My Name

Agreed here. If nakedness were a sin before the fall, God would have clothed Adam and Eve then.

14. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

So, are you saying that there are some who are saved who are not elect or simply some who are never mentioned that they are elect?

Oh, and Paul WAS one of the elect.

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

That offers some clarity...your issue is not with the term "catholic" as much as the usage of "elect."

16. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I can't disagree with this and think the main difference in our opinions is only semantics.

I also agree that it is impossible for man in his present condition to fully keep the Law, that is why we need a Savior. So what makes the difference between us now and Adam before the fall? Can we really assume that the Law was written on Adam's and Eve's hearts or is it a better idea to believe that Adam and Eve were simply created without the knowledge of sin?

On another subject, out of my own curiosity, does elect always equal predestined to folks that hold to Calvanism? I'm seeing the terms used almost interchangably in a some of these C/A threads and I'd like some clarification.

17. His Blood Spoke My Name

Scripture please?

18. His Blood Spoke My Name

John did not even call himself elect in this verse, he only referred to himself as 'The elder'.

Why not 'elect elder'?

19. His Blood Spoke My Name

mk,

Some definitions say 'elect' means all of those who are saved.

Some definitions point to only certain ones out of the saved.

I tend to believe 'elect' applies only to certain individuals for the reasons I have already pointed out. Neither Paul, nor John called themselves elect, but they addressed others as elect.

20. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think you're right on track. They were not conscious of being naked while in innocence. When they became conscious of sin (they knew good and evil), their conscience condemned them, and they experienced guilt. I don't think, as many do, that the "real" sin they committed was sexual in nature, but I suppose that's possible.

Anyway, it's all a figure of our guilt before God. Man, aware of his guilt, is urged by his guilt to seek a covering. The last thing fallen man wants is to stand "naked" (all secrets revealed) before God. So man invents a covering called false (self-righteous) religion. When God saves a person, He tears away the covering of false religion and replaces it with true religion - a covering of "skins"; metaphorically, the "skin" of Christ, by which we may stand in God's presence.