1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Long hair

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Nicholas25, May 2, 2006.

1. bapmom

bapmom New Member

3John2,
    when someone says that a man ought not purposely have long hair because it is a shame to him (according to the Bible) that is not the same as claiming they will go to hell for it. And it's unfair to make that comparison. Im going to go out on a limb here and say that just because you don't know of it causing any problems doesn't mean that it hasn't. I daresay that there are probably people who won't come to your church because of it. You probably will say that that doesn't matter to you, you don't want those "kind" of people around....but isn't that the attitude you don't like from them? They don't like your "kind", so you don't like their "kind" either?

Same goes for Frenchy. I didn't see where anyone said that a lady who's hair has fallen out because of chemo is now ungodly. Alot of times we get this....we say that its a shame for a man to have long hair, or that a woman's long hair is her glory, and it gets twisted into us somehow having condemned them to hell. Then we have to defend ourselves and what we actually DID say, and the whole conversation gets off-topic and/or heated.

The Bible DOES say it is a shame for a man to have long hair. I don't know why a man in the ministry would want to have himself shamed. Just because it isn't called a sin doesn't make it something that is ok for a Christian. That being said, no one here is claiming that we ought to be rude to people because of their hair.

The question was asked, I think its fair to answer it, isn't it?

2. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is that everyone condemns "long" hair on a man without providing a precise, scripturally supported standard of the exact length in which the man's hair becomes to long. One person says that if you are asking, then you hair is to long and to get it cut. My hair is only about 3/4 of an inch long, and I am asking - so that logic just doesn't cut it.

3. mnw

mnw New Member

The problem is that some, and I'm not making any direct accusations, some just want to see how close to the line they can walk.

Instead of just accepting the collar or there abouts as a guide they want to see how close to "shame" they can get without it being shameful.

I think it was Ironside who used to talk about a fence at the top of a mountain being better than a hospital at the bottom.

On a side note, what gets me is how right and wrong gets all twisted. A guy comes into a room with long hair, down to his waist. Someone else points out that the Bible says it is shameful and the one quoting Scripture gets condemned. The one with long hair gets held up as a wonder and example of a mature, tolerant believer who exercises Christian liberty and is connecting with his culture. Go figure.

Good morning, and have a nice day. [​IMG]

4. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

I don't have any problem with a fellow having long hair. However when "that" fellow gets saved the long hair will go! The Holy Spirit is the bast barber in the world.

5. mnw

mnw New Member

I would agree Shiloh. Anything external is not a matter of salvation but service and submission to God.

6. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

I have seen quite a few hippies saved over the last few years and funny thing about it most of the time they cut their hair not because of some pulpit preaching or whatever but because of what the Spirit guides them to do. The average person saved or unsaved has an opinion of what a Christian should be or act like or look like and sadly it is us 'Christians' that want to be something else in an attempt to fit in.
    As a Marine we are known for our short haircuts (High-N-Tights)....now the other services allow this haircut and even a few wear it but it is so much a part of the identity of being a Marine that most of us have it...if a secular branch of the military can be indentified with our look why not the Christian? A true believer should spend more time trying to be like Jesus and less like getting the world to accept them for the sole intent of 'reaching them'...sadly we fall short of reaching them because we try to be them so much like them that we don't offer anything different. Jesus doesn't want us to be weirdos that stand out on a crowd wearing robes or whatever always spouting hell and damnation but he also doesn't want us to look so much like the devil's crowd that people can't tell the difference...yes this is in look, habits, music, clothing, etc. Someone should be able to take a snapshot of our life and it should reflect Godly qualities not something that we need to explain because our snapshot is questionable. If I roll down my window their should be no question of what I'm listening to, someone should never see me come out of a questionable establishment... this is our testimony and it speaks volumns more than our words. Long hair, short hair, colloar length, bald headed...it matters little to Jesus but matters alot to what others know of us as Christians. To SOMEONE we are the ONLY BIBLE they Read

7. bapmom

bapmom New Member

TC,

Ive heard it said that there is a natural hair line but I don't know if that's true or not. The only reason I was so pointed in my last post was because someone had described his own hair as being long. That pretty much means to me that the hair is indeed long. [​IMG]

One rule of thumb for men that Ive also heard is that if someone is walking behind you and can't tell from your hair if you're a man or a woman, than your hair is too long.

I also agree with Shiloh and mnw.....the externals are a matter of submission to God, not salvation. That doesn't make the externals unimportant though.

8. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

This is nothing more than a bunch of self-centered, flesh-oriented christians complaining that someone has infringed upon their LIBERTY in Christ. The truth is...GROW UP! Yes, you have liberty in Christ. Yes, all things are lawful. Yes, Christ fullfilled the law and his life is our life. But why when I have the opportunity to choose right (that is the opportunity provided by the cross) would I choose something the bible says is shameful or dishonoring. Yes, I have Liberty in Christ, but why would I ever choose my liberty when I could choose absolute righteousness.

In other words...I have the opportunity because of the cleansing blood of Jesus Christ and his wonderful grace to continue to sin, but why would I want to willingly continue therein.

Max

9. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

If I went back to the long hair I had in my late teens and early 20s, the bald spot just wouldn't look right.

10. DodgeRamFanatic

DodgeRamFanatic New Member

HALLELUJAH!!!!!!! Preach it, folks, PREACH IT!!! :cool:

I really don't have to say anything more: all of you have said it for me, but anyways--I gotta get my post count up. ;)

OK, when you guys were young, and your mom said, "I'm ashamed of you"--since when did you think that she was giving you a pat on the back?
    DRF

11. Gib

Gib Active Member

I see many old men whose hair could be shoulder length if they would let it go, but they have it all balled up to cover the bald spots. Growing hair long in one place to cover another.

12. DodgeRamFanatic

DodgeRamFanatic New Member

That is hilarious.I always get a kick outta that. ;)
    DRF

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I guess Cousin It must still be lost...

14. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

15. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Which long hair? I'm serious [​IMG] ) My brother has so much long hair on his body, he looks like a go rilla. [​IMG]

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Please don't go there!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Now cant you all tell from Brother Bobs picture than in his younger days he wore hair down to his shoulders and was quite wild. In fact, if you think back, he played in "Easy Rider." :D [​IMG]