1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Looking for a church

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by arnold, Jun 7, 2004.

1. arnold

arnold New Member

My husband and I are looking for a new church, and we were wondering if any of you could recommend one. We live in the Detroit area, and we're looking for an IFB church, KJV but not in the Hyles camp. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. areacode734

areacode734 New Member

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Check with SuperDave here on the BB. He speaks highly of his church out toward Orion??

4. C.R. Gordon

C.R. Gordon New Member

Cornerstone Baptist Church is a large Calvinist Baptist Church in Roseville. The Pastors are both BJU guys but have moved towards a Progressive Dispensationalism in their eschatology (I go here some times); website:

http://www.cbcroseville.org/

That's a start.

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Dave's church no longer uses the KJV as of the last month or so I believe, which rules out most of the good church in the Detroit area. Neither does Cornerstone. Cornerstone is closely affiliated with Founder's movement of hte SBC I think, but they are not SBC. IFBReformer from this board is a member there I believe. I can't think of a KJV using church that I could recommend in this area. But I don't know everyone ...

6. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

There is one close by the Reserve base just north of Detroit...I forget the name, but I know some folks that went there. If wanted, I'll find out from them. According to them, it was very conservative.

7. superdave

superdave New Member

I Would obviously recommend my church, in Orion, but we do not use the KJV exclusively, mostly NASB. I have friends that go to Cornerstone, and speak very highly of it, it sounds alot like our church.

It really depends on where exactly you are, and how far you want to drive

I like pastor Larry cannot really think of a church that uses the KJV exclusively around here that I would recommend, most use several versions.

USN2Pulpit,
    Are you talking about Macomb Baptist? That would be over near the Nat'l Guard Base,

8. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I think that's the one. KJVO, and women must not wear pants. If that's what one is used to, they will get along just fine at this church. My friends are SBC, but said it was a fine church...they parted company because of the clothing and KJVO issues, but on friendly terms. It's my understanding (from my friends)that they have active youth and children's programs also.

9. superdave

superdave New Member

I have heard of that church, I am really not into that type of church, since I really fail to see what either of those issues has to do with the Scriptures, but like you said, if it's what one is used to, I suppose it would work. Those issues are a good example of what's wrong with the IFBA of Michigan

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I didn't think Macomb Baptist was KJVO. They are definitely towards that end, and it is not a place I would go, but I didn't think the KJVO and no pants ... IFBAM is a whole passel of problems in a lot of ways ...

11. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Well, it might be KJV Preferred instead of "Only." In all other ways, I've heard (even from my friends) that this is a good church. Let me say that I have no first-hand knowledge of these things, just what has been reported to me.

Again I'll say that from all acounts I've been given, this is a fine IFB church.

12. arnold

arnold New Member

If that's the case, then no thanks. [​IMG] We're KJV preferred, and I wear pants, so I don't think that's what we're looking for. I'm starting to think that the kind of church we're looking for doesn't exist in our area.

13. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

-butts in-

Arnold, It should be up the the individual what they wear to church. Personally, myself I wear both at times. Although i don't feel exactly comfortable in my pants at church lol. But that it my OWN conviction. A church is a scantuary a place that ALL are welcome. Or, that is what it should be. A church should not care what you look like. Sometimes I think that people push too much for what they think is "right" and forget that God convicts. It is not our place to tell anyone how to dress, or even how to act. We can suggest, but when it get's right down to it, it's thier decision on what they wear. And, Arnold I really don't think that a church will close it's door to you if you wear pants. A church is about your soul. Not what your wearing.

-stops nagging and hits the add reply button - [​IMG]

God Bless

*edits a second* *pist* I am IFB ;)

14. arnold

arnold New Member

Yeah, I know. But the trick is to find a church that doesn't preach "You women ought to leave your pants at home!" like my pastor preached Sunday.

15. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

Humm that's intresting any pastor I have ever had left it up to me. That the fact it was my own personal conviction. (this was made clear by the pastor's wife) See we had a big question about head coverings. That is when it was made clear what we wore, was up to our own personal conviction. [​IMG] I really hope you find a wonderful church. I would suggest mine but umm, it's a bit of a drive to Missouri every Sunday ;)

Good Luck and God Bless You