1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Looking for a church

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by jshurley04, Sep 1, 2005.

1. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

How D all,

I have been in a situation in which the church that I was on full time staff at has let me go due to 'financial circumstances and the fact that all teachers everywhere only have a 1 year contract'. I was the youth pastor as well as teaching in the school. The school had a bad year so I was let go from everything. I am not willing to speak any more about why I am not on staff or if how they did it was right, wrong or otherwise. This is only to give insight to the reasons that I was given and I refuse to say anything more that might look like I am not taking the appropriate attitude. I told the pastor that the good of the church is more important than if I have a job there or not.

So now I am in the position of needing to find a church that is looking for staff or pastor, the pastor commented that I should consider the pastorate instead of staff when he let me go. The question is, what sources do ya'll use? I have continually used what I know of but it seems very limited. I am beginning to wonder what I am supposed to do. I still feel a passion about working with teens but also have been thrilled at the thought of pastoring.

I would simply like to know where else to look or if there are people that I can contact. I have looked and contacted the local fellowship of pastors that I try to stay involved in, I have contacted the Bible College I graduated from, I have contacted the national fellowship my college belongs to, I have contacted the S.B.C., the two Texas S.B.C. divisions, the Baptist General Conference. I know that there must be more churches out there in need of staff or pastors. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

What is your background? I.e., age, family, education, experience, etc.?

3. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Sounds like you already covered all the bases that I would have suggested. This down period is a good time for prayer and reflection. Be patient! Perhaps you could seek secular teaching.

4. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

In short, I am married 13 yrs with 4 kids, oldest is 10 and the youngest is 7 mos. I have B.S. from Baptist Bible College in Springfield, MO. I have worked as both youth vol. and youth pastor as well as associate pastor.

Since I did most of my youth work as volunteer under a youth pastor and only have a few years of staff experience I really feel that I would like to work with a pastor for a year or so to get some mentoring. I do not want to limit God so I am trying to keep my options open. The one thing that I know, is that I have a very bad taste toward churches with Christian Schools.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are several web sites that provide information. Currently, there is a BB thread that will give you several. Click on MINISTRY May the Lord bless you as you seek His will.

Salty

PS Go to the thread for "Prayer" and list you request.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Have you considered substitute teaching in the public school, at least for awhile?

7. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

The local schools require about a ton and a half of certifications that I am simply not able to get. Unlike smaller school districts the large one that I live in requires more than a college degree in something and a background check. Besides, I have never felt the call to teach in a regular school setting, I think I did as much damage last year as I did good.

8. FundamentalDan

FundamentalDan New Member

Yeah, certifications are pretty complicated in Texas. Hey, brother, have you thought about starting a church? The area of Texas that I am in (Rio Grande Valley) has churches closing their doors all the time. Many churches down here cannot keep a pastor because of all of their entrenched power-brokers. As a matter of fact one independent and four southern baptist churches down here (including the large First Baptist) are without a pastor. Consider this- do you want to take over the problems of some other pastor or start making your own? [​IMG]

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

You can tell first church that I am up for the game ... ;o)

I just don't think it would be God's will, but if it was - man would I have fun preaching to the home crowd ...

;o)

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

watchale ... ooops I bet that home crowd might not understand tejano ... I could translate:

Watch out man ...

11. bapmom

bapmom New Member

There are vast areas in the Midwest without a single Gospel preaching church

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, your residence in Mansfield causes me to ask about whether you are part of the sect of millennial exclusionists, etc, that post here on the BB occasionally. Know that is NOT what is taught at BBC, but a lot of men change positions from their alma maters as they age.

I consider that teaching as totally false doctrine and would not recommend ANY of that sect to a church.

Where do you stand (if you care to answer)?

13. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

Mansfield, TX is where my parents live. I have moved in with them (they had an extra room or two) to keep expenses low until God shows me what is next.

Dr. Bob, I am still young and am not familiar with every wind of false doctrine. I am not sure that I know what millennial exclusionists are or believe. Maybe I know it by another name?

14. FundamentalDan

FundamentalDan New Member

Hey El Guero,

This area is over 75% Hispanic. Understand Tejano? That's all they speak.

Oh, and I did forget to mention that First Baptist has a practicing lesbian as their children's minister. Yeah, you'd have a lot of fun preaching to that home crowd.

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

FD

Do you understand the "El Guero" ...

I can handle the Hispanic, not the deviant ...

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

JShurley,

Which church were you at? If you don't want everyone to know, you can PM me.

We will be praying for you.

God bless

Wayne

17. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I'm not feelin the love, Bob. ;)

18. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

James,

I don't know why I tho't of you guys ...

19. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

PS: Are ya'll still downtown witnessing on Friday nights?

20. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Amen we are! My wife got to lead a young catholic girl to the Lord a couple of nights ago. You need to come out and visit us sometime [​IMG]