1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Looking for a college

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by jstrickland1989, Dec 16, 2005.

1. jstrickland1989

jstrickland1989 New Member

I'm a sophomore and I know it's early, but what are some colleges you think are a good choice?

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    JS1989,

I see you are from the midwest. One of the closer colleges, which is outlandishly expensive as they all are today, is Wheaton outside of Chicago.

Another is Union University in Jackson, TN. It is being called the "Wheaton of the South" and the "Wheaton of the SBC." My daughter graduated there in 2001 w/a degree in teacher education.

The Southern Baptist Seminary in Louisville, KY flew profs to the UU campus on Mondays (may still). Many of us SBC "hands" worked on our MDiv degrees that way. I did about 1/3 of my MDiv on campus there so I have spent much time on campus between the two experiences. It is a great school, I consider myself to be their #1 supporter in the category of those who are not alumni.

Both are good choices for a Liberal Arts Christian education from a Christian World View. Both religion departments are outstanding and have good world class faculty who are scholars.

My assumption is that you may be wanting a religion and/or Bible education b/c you are on the BB inquiring?

There is a third choice, Samford in Birmingham,AL.

All three also have great other departments in the Liberal Arts as well as Teacher Education et al.

I will be glad to talk to you via PM or email at length.

I hope this helps.

sdg!

rd

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not knowing where in Wisconsin you are, all I can say is why go South. I'd visit the campus of Maranatha BBC in Watertown. And yes, for those who care, MBBC is an accredited school. It has been for about ten years now.

Maranatha Home Page

5. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Southern Evangelical Bible College in Charlotte, NC.
    www.ses.edu

6. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My question at this point is why do y'all assume the young man is interested in a SBC school? Wisconsin is not exactly a hot bed of the SBC.

7. PastorSBC1303

My question would be, why not assume that? [​IMG]

8. Broadus

Broadus Member

Perhaps you could tell us something about yourself and what academic/vocational interests you have.

9. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Squire,

You said:

"My question at this point is why do y'all assume the young man is interested in a SBC school? Wisconsin is not exactly a hot bed of the SBC."

I am not assuming anything at all.

I was only trying to give the young man some information out of my limited understandings of where I have been and what I have seen to be three good schools.

I was only trying to help and bring some valid data to the table for his consideration.

I really meant no offense, but there seems to be such in your post above. Then again, one can never tell about tone in an email.

There are certainly some outstanding schools in the Mid West and North. Too, Maranatha is a great place if the young man wants a Bible College education rather than a Christian Liberal Arts education.

This broad division of the two types of schools and education is probably add data he needs to consider also.

sdg!

rd

10. jstrickland1989

Okay, I'm a pastor's son. I want to be a missionary to Easter Europe (Moldova in particular,or Romania). I took a trip there about 4 months ago, and God has laid on my heart the burden for world missions. I do want to be in the ministry full time. I don't consider secular colleges a choice. I want to go to a Christian college. I have visited MBBC, and right now it's my #1 choice, because it's so close to home. But If I found a better fit I would definitely think about going elsewhere.

So there ya go, and keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks,

james

11. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gentlemen, I will pardon your ignorance. However, there are two very servicable schools, Maranatha as cited above and Pillsbury BBC, Owatanna, Minn.

Pillsbury Homepage.

Both colleges are of Northern Baptist lineage. PBBC is southwest of Minneapolis and MBBC is half way between Milwaukee and Madison. Pillsbury became a Baptist Bible College in 1957 and Mararantha was founded in 1968. So neither is a new kid on the block.

Now if you want to get away from the snow and ice, there is International Baptist College in Tempe (soon to be moving to Chandler), AZ

International Baptist College Homepage

12. PastorSBC1303

I wasn't being ignorant. The young man asked for recommendations on colleges and I provided him one. I am not going to apologize for recommending a SBC college.

13. jstrickland1989

Guys, I'm not looking for any kind of denomination. I'm looking for a good college. Understand, if a IFB college is good, I will consider it, but on the other hand, if a SBC is better I will give it more consideration. I would like for it to be baptist though.

James

14. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    JS1989,

This is only the repetition of what I have told other young men going into the ministry who have asked my counsel.

I have shared with them to go to a Christian Liberal Arts College/University like the ones I named above. Then, NOT major in Bible; get a BA/BS in something where they will always have a way to make a living.

Something I would think is a great fit would be to have a degree in education. Many times deputation may not be the answer and a young person may need to make a living for themself and wife and children. A school teacher can nearly always get a job. You could even start or teach at a Christian academy.

What I have recommended "kinda" "sorta" assumes that a Bible/Theology education would follow @ some good seminary--if the Bible is not taken on the BA level. If the young person must absolutely and positively have a Bible College degree; then pick one with a secularly accredited education program and get a double major.

Or maybe the young person wants to study business or information technology. Just do not allow yourself to be dependent on other people for your living. Find a way "to make tents!"

I have seen more young people struggle to make a living b/c they came straight out of Bible college or Bible College/Seminary combination and get stuck in some small rural ministry or mission w/ much educational debt and their family had to suffer for the Gospel's sake. Where, if they had used some forethought they could have avoided seeing the ones they love in near poverty.

God wants us to take up our cross and follow him. He also wants us to be as wise as serpents and as harmless as doves.

Think about it and I hope this helps.

sdg!

rd

15. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of the schools I recommeded are accredited. IBC in particular has made accreditation a point of honor.

Maranatha (at least in my day was) is a double major school.

16. jstrickland1989

Thanks! I will definitely have to keep this in consideration. I definitely understand what you're saying. I'm thinking that a major in education wouldn't be all that bad. And then maybe I could minor in something such as missions? Also, I've heard that MBBC is offering Mission Aviation. What do you think about this? Wouldn't it be very hard to find a job that would require that? I'm not sure where to get started with all this missions stuff. I have no doubt that the Lord wants to be a missionary, but there is so much you can do, that it just seems like I'm getting nowhere. I'm focusing on finishing my highschool education first, but I'm also thinking about the future, and I want to be ready for it.

James

17. jstrickland1989

Maranatha I believe is still a double major school. I think MBBC is probably #1 on my list right now.

james

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Rhetorician is absolutely right. The days of full time pastors and missionaries is on the decline. There are also missionaries who are welcomed in a country because of their skills and can share their faith with others. If a person has other skills it also helps to pay your way later through seminary. Seminaries typically have very low financial aid.

The majority of people who go through Bible schools do not end up in ministry all of their life. I have seen so many who when something happens they are unable to make much of a living because they have no skills other than a Bible education. I have a cousin who went to a very good school to be a missionary but who has a husband who is unable to do what they were hoping and he is a janitor. She only has a Bible school education and has found her degree worthless in the job market. So she is a secretary at a school. If she were a teacher she would have sumemrs off but as a secretary she does not and receives much lower pay.

A friend of mine returned from another country and had started having health problems because of being there. He and his wife have had to move several times in the US because they cannot afford much because he does not have many skills.

Having skills will open many doors which would otherwise be closed.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would recommend that you major in something of interest in which you can make a living and take your electives in education so that you can get a teaching credential. Each state has different requirements to obtain a teaching credential.

By having a specific major you are not limited to just teaching. Some states have a glut of teachers and others are crying for them. Some states pay reasonably well and others help you to starve.

I would not recommend you major in liberal studies. Pick a definite major. In preparation take four years of math (calculus), 4 years of English, 4 years of a foreign language, biology, geology, physics, chemistry and biology, geography, computer operations uscuh as word perfect, excel, MS Word, etc. Take a class or two of CAD or ProE drafting and solid modeling. Take the tough classes and don't skin by in high school.

20. jstrickland1989

I would recommend that you major in something of interest in which you can make a living and take your electives in education so that you can get a teaching credential. Each state has different requirements to obtain a teaching credential.

By having a specific major you are not limited to just teaching. Some states have a glut of teachers and others are crying for them. Some states pay reasonably well and others help you to starve.

I would not recommend you major in liberal studies. Pick a definite major. In preparation take four years of math (calculus), 4 years of English, 4 years of a foreign language, biology, geology, physics, chemistry and biology, geography, computer operations uscuh as word perfect, excel, MS Word, etc. Take a class or two of CAD or ProE drafting and solid modeling. Take the tough classes and don't skin by in high school.
    </font>[/QUOTE]So you think I should go as tough as possible these last 2 years?

James