1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Looking for an Equivalent Alternative to Grudem's Systematic

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by J.D., Mar 5, 2008.

1. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Looking for something equal to Grudem's Systematic Theology, but from a cessationist viewpoint. Any suggestions? I know Boyce is available but I would like something contemporary.

2. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Millard Erickson's Systematic is cessationist. Ironically, I'm watching him on TV (a local Louisville channel--he's speaking at Southern Seminary and they're broadcasting it) as we speak.

I'm a big fan of Grudem but Erickson is almost universally accepted as being on an equal level.

Blessings,

The Archangel

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose that you want something from a Baptist perspective . I would suggest Robert Duncan Culver's Systematic Theology in a heartbeat . He's in his early 90's now . It was published in his 88th year . He is as clear as can be -- and very biblical -- there are scriptural citations throughout . And , he's not technical . I appreciate this work of his very much !

A non-Baptist -- Robert Reymond ,is excellent also with his "New Systematic Theology" . He's a youngster in his 70's .

4. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is Erickson a Baptist?

5. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks. I've never heard of Culver but I will definetly check him out.

6. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Norman Geisler's Systematic Theology. He is cessationist. He has been a baptist most of his life, so I'm told.