1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Looking for Hyles' converts

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Dr. JK, Dec 10, 2005.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I had never heard of Hyles until just a few years ago. That was about 29 years since becoming a Christian.

2. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

(Well, there was the woman at the well in Samaria, Zacchaeus , Nicodemus, the thief on the cross................... Since we have numerous recorded instances, I would suppose there are many, many more unrecorded.)
    Percisely! Thank you.

3. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Jack Hyles was the best soul winner that ever lived. There must be thousands upon thousands of his converts in the Hammond area today. ;)

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul, save your sarcasm for another thread. An honest question was asked that deserves an honest answer. Regretfully, the answer seems to be one nobody ever thought of.

5. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Another point would be, how many of us remember the full name of the person who led us to the Lord?

Im sure some of us will remember, but if it was someone who came to your door, or who passed you a tract and explained it to you, chances are that you wouldn't remember their name. Personally, I didn't have a personal worker lead me to the Lord, I was sitting in church and since I already knew what I ought to do, I just did it by myself. I don't remember the name of the evangelist who was there preaching though.

Ive led several people to the Lord on the streets, and I can tell ya right now, they probably don't remember my name anymore. The point of soul winning is not to win them to yourself, it is to win them to Christ. I wouldn't want them to remember me, Id want them to remember Christ.

6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I have been in ministry for 10 years. I have served at much, much smaller places than FBC Hammond. And I can take you to several folks in those 10 years that came to know the Lord as a result of my witness.

You mean to tell me that in all those years and all those people that there seems to be hardly anyone that will give testimony to Hyles witnessing to them and thus accepting the Lord?

Something is wrong in this equation...

7. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

Dear "PastorSBC1303" Years ago I sat in a service where the pastor took John R. Rice apart because he broke fellowship with Bob Jones. The Pastor was a young fellow, had been preaching for about 10 years or so. The people left that evening confused. Their pastor had spent the entire service criticizing a man that he didn't even know. I ask you what's your point? Why don't you let the Lord judge Jack Hyles?

8. bapmom

bapmom New Member

PastorSBC,

Just because they aren't where YOU can get "at them" doesn't mean they don't exist.

Have you ever met him in person, outside the pulpit?

I had. And I must say, if I hadn't known who he was, I wouldn't have remembered him. He was only "bigger than life" in his reputation, and behind the pulpit. One on one, he was a very mild, soft-spoken, unremarkable man. Unless you spent a great deal of time with him, you would not really remember him if you hadn't known he was considered famous by alot of people.

It just saddens me to see so much criticism of other preachers around here. Especially when its just "made up" anecdotes and personal angst.

9. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Point of order please!

There may be another entire dynamic missing from the thread.

Is anyone who has contributed or anyone who might read this thread equating; "leading someone to the Lord," or "praying to receive Jesus," or "asking Jesus into your heart," or "signing a commitment card," or some other such with becoming a Christian? Is that all there is--just saying a prayer or the "convert" "doing something?"

If so I would like for us all to ponder:

One;
    are these "Jack Hyles converts?" Even the question's terminology seems to be flawed.

Two;
    does doing something formulaic mean that someone has "taken up the cross and followed Christ" until death?

Three;
    do you and I as "soul-winners" have the right to call or proclaim someone else a Christian b/c they have done what I have told them to do with my little sect's formula?

Four;
    do any of us have the right to tell someone they are a Christian by saying things like:

A. You said the prayer didn't you?
    B. God is not a liar is He?
    C. If God's Word says it and I have done it,
    then I must be a Christian.
    D. Right!?

All of these "soul winning" techniques and pronouncements sound woefully like what the Churches of Christ do. Theologians call this the "Intellectualization of Faith."

It seems to me that the nomenclature of "Hyles converts" smacks of what Finney did "to get 'em 'saved' and down the isle." Method seems to be substituted for substance.

Points to ponder!

Comments, suggestions, or angry exhortations welcome!!!! And I know I will get them.

sdg!

rd

10. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Right on Rehtorician.

11. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

i would imagine I'm more old time fundamental and hard core King James and separated than that 95% on this board. I'v met both Hyles and Hudson. I personally questioned both these men about their "easy believeism" and watered down repentance. I did not agree with some things both these men preached. However, I'm not going to sit in judgement over these men when even God won't, John 5:22.

12. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Rhetorician,

I know its not towards the OP, and Im sorry, but how then would you lead a person to Christ?

Would you be able to do it within one conversation, or would you "require" the person to have lived according to what you see as "right" before you'd consider them a "real" Christian?

I know I sound a little snarky, but Im really not trying to be. Honest question here.....how would you tell someone to be saved?

13. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

This is a contradiction. You can't be "old time fundamental" and "hard core King James." The old time fundamentalists were not hard core King James.

Hyles was a showman. He began to change in the 80s from his already rancid self and became even more self-absorbed. The charges of immorality were never addressed and Hyles was not dealt with biblically by his church. His doctrine got more heterodox over the years. He was known to be dishonest in the pulpit (cf. his claim to the number of sermons he had preached). He was not "above reproach" as the Bible requires.

I say that to say, "How many souls he won" is irrelevant to these issues at hand. If he won a million souls under that ministry, he was a shame and reproach on teh ministry. And the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree.

14. bapmom

bapmom New Member

my goodness! :eek:

Wait, let me get a camera so I can take a picture of all this "christian love"!

15. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    bapmom,

Just "sow the seed!" Then when you are there when God does birth one into His Kingdom, you give all the glory to him. After all, "it is God who gives the increase," does He not?

Many is the time that I have felt spiritually superior to others and smug inwardly b/c I had "gone soul-winning." I felt as if I must put another notch on my "soul-winners belt" for personal reasons or to please someone else. Spiritual pride is a terrible thing--is it not?

The Scriture says, "He that winneth souls is wise." We are commanded to "make disciples" not to make "prayer repeaters," or "card signers," or "isle walkers."

You be faithful. Press for the "decision" when you think it appropo. I only want us to think about what we do and how we do it.

I want us to get to the place where we confront people with the "cross life" and let them know in no uncertain terms what it means to "forsake this world and follow Christ!"

Many want to go to Heaven but want to live like Hell until they go. And I am afraid that our "soul winning" methods have promoted such. Then we come along and hammer them again and again about doing the externals of religion when they may not even have been converted by the HS b/c of some slick-talking "soul winning" salesman.

I am not ranking on any one particular leader, only the methods that they have perpetuated.

It may be that we need to rethink the whole schemata of the "easy believism" and its methods.

Points to ponder!!!

sdg!

rd

16. PastorSBC1303

My point has been very simply...why did Hyles and the church boast of so many things...yet there seems to be nothing there. I am not the only one that has noticed this. I am completely confident in the Lord judging Hyles and everyone else. It has simply been an observation from one who lived in the area for many years.

17. bapmom

bapmom New Member

ok Rhet....but you didn't really answer me....at least I dont think you did.

I agree that just signing a convert slip doesnt do anything. But when you trust Christ as your saviour, thats following what the Bible said to do!

How would you lead a person through the gospel plan? Wouldnt it be rather simple?

18. PastorSBC1303

Again, one more time. It is an observation. You are welcome to disagree.

When you live in the area for 20+ years and it is Hyles "won so and so # to the Lord this year" and FBC "under the leadership of Hyles has seen "#" of people saved this year".....and yet you never meet anyone that was actually led to the Lord by Hyles....you wonder what is going on.

Maybe it is all a big coincident...

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do because he followed me up for the next two years. His follow up is the reason I disciple other today. That was almost 33 years ago.

In fact we phone each other regularly.

20. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Remember what love is ... Love is not good feelings or smoothing over the sins of a person's life. Hyles was openly known this way. NOthing I said was private or unknown. And his church disobeyed God in not handling it properly. We can't smooth over that in hopes of appeasing someone's sensitivities. The truth needs to continue to be known so that when it happens again, no one will forget the shame and reproach that men like Hyles brings on the name of Christ.