1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Looking for Hyles' converts

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Dr. JK, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This discussion reminds me of the old Moody illustration.

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    bapmom,

I would just like you to re-think what we do and how we do it. Is it really just as simple as "telling them the plan of salvation" or "leading them down 'The Roman Road'?"

What about the idea of repentance? is that ever explained?

Is it ever told that it is a grace-gift of God and something He must bestow on the sinner and not just the sinner's change of mind b/c he "feels bad" for his sin? I could (and have) shamed folk into feeling bad for their sins. Does than mean that God has done a work of grace in their hearts?

What about the idea of taking up the cross to follow Christ? is that ever explained?

When Jesus explained it to the Rich Young Ruler he departed b/c it would have cost him too much.

What about the idea of "hating self?" is that ever explained?

Do you remember the Publican who would not even look up but confessed, "God be merciful to me THE sinner" the Greek text says.

What about the idea of "forsaking all to follow Christ?" is that ever explained.

What about continuing "to love this present world?" is that ever explained?

Did John not say you cannot love the world and be God's child?

Or, do we not just sell tickets to Heaven by our methods?

What I am trying to help you to see is that our "soul-winning" techniques are so much more externals of religion and "doing something" for both the "soul-winner" and the "converts" sake rather than pointing them to eternal salvation.

Does God save that way? Sure He does!! But it is in spite of these "jerk them to Jesus meetins'" rather than b/c of them.

What I am saying is this; the Lord himself did not even give "the plan of salvation" the way Hyles and others have. I am not so sure, what is done the way I have described is going to send many people to Heaven.

God have mercy on us if we pronounce someone "saved" when we have given them an "impotent" or "partial" "Gospel." Paul said, may that one be anathema or accursed for this is NO Gospel at all.

Which is worse; for a person to have not ever made a commitment? Or, for a person to have made an "easy commitment" and split Hell wide open; thinking he or she is "sure for Heaven?"

I pity the "soul-winner" who has equated true salvation with "saying a prayer" or "making a commitment" on the sidewalk some where. This one will have to stand b/f God and give an account for "giving bad directions." And I am afraid that it will be me in some cases for watering down the message when the Savior did not!!!

I'm done.

sdg!

rd

3. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, A serious objective question was asked in the original post. Let's not run off on rabbit trails. The question still stands (no matter how you slice and dice it). Are there any folks (from either his early, middle or late parts of his ministry) who can say, Pastor/Brother Hyles lead me to the Lord (or use the term of your choice)?
    I can say it was Mrs. Brown of Anderson, Ind. who lead me to the Lord. The number of those saved directly attributed to Brother Hyles argues that there must be somebody who can come forward and say
    For such a person not to come forward, while not conclusive, does open the door to other possibilities.

4. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Squire,

I apologize for the meandering tirade.

sdg!

rd

5. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

You have raised some interesting points. There are a lot of undefined variables in our discussion. It would appear that that some are rushing to conclusions even before we are clear on what we are asking.

The lack of supposed evidence here does not really prove anything. It’s rather like proving a universal negative. Just because we cannot find people who say Jack Hyles personally led them to the Lord does not necessarily prove they do not exist. Perhaps we are looking in the wrong places or they are not coming forward for some reason.

The question implied in the OP is whether Jack Hyles practiced personal soul-winning. Not finding converts, who attest they were personally led to the Lord by Jack, does not necessarily mean that Hyles was not active in witnessing. There are at least three or four scenarios that could explain this situation:
    1. Jack Hyles did not personally practice what he preached (i.e. personal soul-winnin).
    2. Jack Hyles practiced personal soul-winning but most of his converts were not genuinely saved (This brings doubt on his methodology).
    3. Our survey methods are at fault and we cannot find the people Hyles led to the Lord.
    4. As a variant of # 3, many people, whom Hyles met and led to the Lord in public places (i.e. planes, airports, business meetings, luncheons, etc.), do not remember who he was.
    5. Any combination of the above.

One important point is that everyone who prays a prayer is not necessarily saved. Some may pray to please the soul-winner. These false converts disappear into anonymity. However, if one does find people who are faithfully serving the Lord after twenty to thirty years, it is a good indication of true conversion. This was true of numerous people, whom I mentioned in an earlier post, saved under the ministry of Oliver B. Greene. Remember that soul-winning or evangelizing is pictured by the Parable of the Sower.

6. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

I may be a little short on my Bible knowledge but could someone please give me the Scriptural reference for praying and making a commitment? ;) I can't seem to find it. It says in my KJV: "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved (Romans 10:9)."

Of course, there is, I understand, a division among some of the BBF as to whether repentance is necessary for salvation. Does anyone know or care to comment?

7. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    These are the points to be discussed on this thread. More detailed discussions bearing on Point 2 if any will be held on another thread. Paidagogos has summed up the state of our knowledge. If anybody has anything further to add fine. If not, I will declare this topic a dead horse and close the thread.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Doesn't the confession of Christ as Lord signify repentance from an old way of life?

9. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

You answered your own question, it seems to me.

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. "Confess" means agreement that we are wrong and God is right about our sinfulness with the direct implication that we accept His way over ours. This text decidedly points toward the necessity of repentance for salvation.

11. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Squire,

Sarcasm is an honest form of communication. The answer to the question is "Where are all the converts that Jack Hyles personally led to Christ?" Since he lived and preached in Hammond, where are they?

The truth is, Hyles [inflammatory comment deleted] preached 50,000 sermons in his lifetime (that's three a day every day for 50 years) and won untold thousands to Christ.

You don't see the humor in that? ;)

[ December 14, 2005, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: C4K ]

12. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Surely on Baptist Board, there must be "one" who will say that Hyles personally "won" him to the Lord. Where are you?

As for you Squire, you need to chill out and let the thread do its job. Why are you so skittish?

13. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Paul33,

Baptist Board has a reputation amongst those within IFBdom of being decidedly UNfriendly towards us.

You are very unlikely to find very many here who currently attend FBC Hammond, and those who ARE friendly towards Hyles are few and far between on this board.

There MIGHT be one or two willing to speak up, who are right now members of FBC Hammond....yet we all know there are thousands of them in that area. They simply aren't on this board. In fact, the board run by FBC Hammond (not the one Dr. Bob linked to) is not very large. Most of them are simply not online, and message boards are not part of their daily life.

So it does not surprise me in the least that those you are asking for arent here.

I also think that paidogogos did an excellent job summing up what we really know on this issue. He did a good job putting it into proper perspective.

One other comment I would make is, if Dr Hyles were alive, Im sure he could take us to those who he's led to the Lord. Someone mentioned that they could do this for themselves....but could everyone else who knows you do that for you?

14. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Fair enough. But "wow!"

15. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am letting the thread do its job. Now, let me do mine. I am skittish because of the emotions this topic can and has stir(red) up. The facts such as they are known for the moment have been laid out. Regretfully, the facts, as presented so far, are disconcerting to many. I will not allow for piling on. Further discussion, as to my moderating of this thread, is properly done via PM.

16. Brutus

Brutus Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I personally know of a couple that was led to Christ by Hyles. They now live in East Central Illinois.

Brutus

17. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Most certainly it does. However, there is a lot of fuzzy thinking out there today so that words don't mean what you think. For example, some Christians try to differentiate between accepting Christ as Savior and accepting him as Lord. (One cannot split the two apart.) Such muddled thinking, leads to the carnal Christian theory whereby one may be saved and continue living in sin. They claim repentance is not essential for salvation. So, the confession of Christ as Lord is so many words without meaning or a basis in reality. What do you think?

18. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

You answered your own question, it seems to me. </font>[/QUOTE]Tell me. I’m not sure if you agreeing or disagreeing. Is confess (ομολογησης) synonymous with pray? I don’t think so. Look at Romans 10:10-11. I don’t see anything about praying or making a commitment. It seems to say believe and confess. These two good Biblical terms, believe and confess, seem to be the requirements for being saved. Is a person, who believes in Christ and confesses Him as Lord and Savior, saved even though he doesn’t pray a sinner’s prayer? What do you think?

BTW, what does it mean to make a commitment? What is the commitment that one is making? What happens if one doesn’t keep the commitment?

19. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again and for the final time, please keep the conversation on topic. An in-depth discussion, on what constitutes a proper confession, is worthy of its own thread. It should not be buried on page four. of this thread.

If necessary, I will declare this topic to be a dead horse and close it to prevent it being flogged into dog food.

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I further Squire's warning. Be on notice that this topic is subject to closure without notice.