1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Looking for pastorate.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Chad Whiteley, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Bobby Hamilton

Bobby Hamilton New Member

Are you trying to convince us of all of this, or you?

Based on what you know and are looking for, you really shouldn't care at all what we think, since we're all just strangers.

2. Chad Whiteley

Chad Whiteley Member

I do not know what you think I am trying to convince you of.

I am just having fun and doing a little trolling.

I do not care if anybody reads my stuff or not, but thanks for responding anyway.​

3. Bobby Hamilton

If you're trolling, you really aren't doing that great of a job.

I've posted on sites that have trolls. You just come off a little condescending.

But it's no sweat off my back.

4. Chad Whiteley

Chad Whiteley Member

I never claimed to be a good troll. I guess I always have more to learn. I apologize if I sound condescending. That was not my intention at all. When I read the messages again, I felt angered that people were so hostile over my initial request. There was also a spirit of arrogance implied that I needed to go to seminary before I could speak on theological matters. So.... I thought I would clear up those arguments. Funny how the intellectually arrogant brethren never get called codescending on here.... very interesting indeed.

Perhaps I am still reacting in kind to some condescending remarks I gathered back then.

Why did I wait six years? Well, because I had forgotten about this thread.

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I hear the faint sounds of Frank Sinatra in the background singing, "I did it my way..."

6. Siberian

Siberian New Member

You should allow the search committees of the churches for which you interview to see this thread (all of your posts, I mean). It will help them make a wise decision.

7. Chad Whiteley

Chad Whiteley Member

Anyone is free to see these threads. Search committees will generally do a search of the pastor's name in google when they make a decision. This message board is ranked highly when someone does such a search of my name. I have said nothing here or anywhere else of which I am ashamed.

I stand behind comments I make even when I have to repent when I misspeak. Had I changed any doctrinal positions in the last 6 years, I would be the first to admit it.

Comparing my words here to the vitriol I see on many fellow pastor's blogs would help any to see that at least I am open to dialog.

8. Siberian

Siberian New Member

If you do say so yourself. And... you do. :)

9. Chad Whiteley

Chad Whiteley Member

I did go back and re-read everything I wrote. I know which tone I meant when I said things, but I understand that in written communication, people often misread tone.

However, at this point, I have not attacked anyone specifically, only clarified my points. Siberian, if you would like to private message me to discuss some specific failure you see, I am always open to constructive criticism. I think you will find me rather amicable when I am not rambling on about the theoretical.

I do realize that I probably should not have even bumped this thread to the top of the list, since we are way off topic. Is it a point of order that concerns you?

10. Bobby Hamilton

To be fair, you came to a baptist website...to a certain extent, what did you expect?

11. Chad Whiteley

Chad Whiteley Member

:tongue3:

I know and that is kind of why I came back... to see if I could get a response from the brother who recommended that I attend a good Baptist seminary. I am sure that the seminary I attended would not be good by his standards.

In the end, I regret responding on several levels, but I have gotten a laught out of most of it.

Mostly, I regret that some people have taken my remarks as condescending. I honestly was hurt that I came off that way.

12. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Why not? It is as interesting as many of the threads started here. Besides, if you don't like this thread, ignore it.

13. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

You will find that many of the so-called God-loving Christians here don't show much compassion to their brothers-in-Christ. I don't know if this is common among Christian sites. This is the only one I frequent. It is, unfortunately, the first thing non-Christians will notice if they stop here to take a look.

14. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You Have a Good Point...

...this is the only forum where I've encountered what I call cyber bullying. It is of course being done by the name of "debating!" However, it is still bullying, and it lacks Christian compassion. I am often pushed to the point of getting totally upset with the rude, passive-aggressive ways by some who make providing an opinion or view worse than having a tooth pulled. :smilewinkgrin:

If you come up with an anser, please feel free to implement it, as it would make this forum a fun place to post ones thoughts and views.

This, "I must win as any cost" is scary, and it makes for bad public relations to those who stop by and see all the in-fighting. :thumbsup:

15. Bobby Hamilton

It's one reason I lurk more in some forums and post more in others.

16. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

17. Squidward

Squidward Member

I have just been a bystander in this thread not taking a side, but this sentence here is so ironic it isn't funny. You may not have meant it that way. Maybe you meant "I'm sorry I came off that way." Either way, congrats on your hard work and finishing seminary and I hope the Lord guides you to the right congregation. :)

I think if we could all see you in person we would probably hear a person with a lot of zeal and passion for people that has had a few bad experiences along the way. Sometimes message boards just do not translate the meaning of posts real well.

As far as the staunch Calvinist thing, I spoke with one of our ministers in training yesterday and he also stated that some hardcore Calvinists have an arrogant attitude. I myself am not one nor the other. Used to be hardcore Arminian, but a Calvinist didn't win me over, just pointed out the flaws of both philosophies. I just try to leave this subject as one of those mysteries that we'll never know for sure, but witness to the world like salvation is for everyone.

#57 Squidward, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2012
  18. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is what I have gotten so far from you.

1) You are arrogant - you determine to demean Calvinistic thinkers and yet want to hold your own self appointed view as righteous, exalted, and the one and only scriptural truth. That is not only arrogant but ignorant.

2) You are deluded into thinking that distributing some form of an intoxicant to minors and those who have addictive tendency is acceptable and the only accepted form of communion. That in itself places you in not only ignorance of scripture but of the human condition as well.

3) You are self serving - you want to be offered a place "closer to family" which reveals that you have not forsaken all to follow Christ. You determine by the rational approach that which is only determined by Scriptural/Spiritual leading. You do not take literally, "Lean not to your own understanding..."

4) You are puffed up and have not truly learned humility at the feet of the Savior. You boast that you sat under the instruction of professors and learned what ... that they were ... and you claim they taught you ...?

5) You want to hold to the KJV - which is fine - but, by labeling it as you did and placing it as ascendant above all others, puts all textual scholarship as almost sinful without you coming right out and admitting you hold that very thinking.​

I ask you a question, "Would you recommend such a person to the pastorate of your church?"

Of course, I could be wrong. After all, it is definitely difficult to discern from a single thread the person who is on the other side of the screen.

If I am wrong, then go back to your original statements and look for where I may have taken your words to mean less than you posted.

19. Chad Whiteley

Chad Whiteley Member

1) You are arrogant - you determine to demean Calvinistic thinkers and yet want to hold your own self appointed view as righteous, exalted, and the one and only scriptural truth. That is not only arrogant but ignorant.

I have studied the scriptures and found the tenets of Calvinism wanting - that makes me at least as convinced as those Calvinists who are convinced it is the only scriptural way. I think the scriptures are plain on these issues and I further think that Calvinism elevates man to think he has all the answers to biblical paradoxes. When I read the scriptures, I believe that God gave man the freedom to choice to accept or reject him. I also believe that God is sovereign enough to have accommodated man's free will as part of that plan.

2) You are deluded into thinking that distributing some form of an intoxicant to minors and those who have addictive tendency is acceptable and the only accepted form of communion. That in itself places you in not only ignorance of scripture but of the human condition as well.

I only advocate that Jesus was right in what he said and did, which makes me follow the scripture. Show me a scripture where the Bible calls an addiction a disease and not a sin, and I will recant. I do not borrow from the modern psychological movements but the Bible when I develop my faith and practice. If you buy into the gnostic concept that substances are evil unto themselves, then you have departed from plain biblical teaching. I am sorry if my adherence to scripture offends you.

3) You are self serving - you want to be offered a place "closer to family" which reveals that you have not forsaken all to follow Christ. You determine by the rational approach that which is only determined by Scriptural/Spiritual leading. You do not take literally, "Lean not to your own understanding..."

I really do not care where the church is. I have pastored in California for 12 years, far from family and friends. I am hardly the only pastor who post his preference. My preference is to be closer to family. At some point in my ministry, perhaps God will move me in such a direction.

4) You are puffed up and have not truly learned humility at the feet of the Savior. You boast that you sat under the instruction of professors and learned what ... that they were ... and you claim they taught you ...?

Firstly, you haven't the slightest idea what my relationship with God is, unless He is secretly gossiping to you about me. I can see that you "hold your own self appointed view as righteous, exalted..."

Secondly, I am always learning from my professors. Each day I learn how little I know. What I refuse to learn is how to ignore the plain teaching of scripture. When the Bible says that Christ died for the sins of the whole world, I accept it as face value. Those professors who are educated beyond their obedience to the plain teaching of scripture I reject, because I have a scriptural injunction to do so.

5) You want to hold to the KJV - which is fine - but, by labeling it as you did and placing it as ascendant above all others, puts all textual scholarship as almost sinful without you coming right out and admitting you hold that very thinking.

I very much question those who dig into the Vatican to uncover the "oldest and most reliable manuscripts" when these very manuscripts ignore what the churches held for almost two thousand years. I fail to concede that God would have concealed his word for such a time only to be later uncovered by "scholars." So, yes, I very much challenge the idea that the church needs a bunch of scholars to fix things, especially since Jesus started his church with a bunch of uneducated fisherman.

As always, I thank you for your input...

:)

20. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinistic thinking does not dispute that God is sovereign, nor do they generally dispute that God gives man the freedom to accept of reject Him. However, The Scriptures in no place state that (after Eden) man has a "free will." In fact, the Scriptures indicate that is NOT the state of the unregenerate man nor is it the state of the regenerate man. That a choice can be or even is made does not equate to freedom of will. This "self willed" thinking is a common error that has no Scriptural foundation.

First, There is an assumption that you consider what I stated as claiming addiction is a disease and not a sin. Both may certainly be valid. A sin filled life can lead to a disease and a disease can lead one to sin. The Bible is not just understood for doctrine, but in all matters of faith and practice. As such, a good pastor is going to be discerning as to any area of need and helps. There are those to whom the addictive behavior patterns are part of their physiological and psychological makeup. Children who have had the genetic makeup of ADHD passed from their fathers (for the mother does not pass that disposition only the father) have an extremely high rate of addictive tendencies. Sin and disease are not usually separated either in Scriptures or in modern life.

Second, it is certainly biblical for substances to be considered evil in themselves. The Scriptures teach that even the rocks have a certain sentience to cry out to God in praise and grown in their current condemnation. Is it no less true that the Scriptures state that "wine IS a mocker?" The mocking of the intoxicant is no less Scriptural than the rocks and heavens in the ability to declare what they serve and praise.

Third, I have no problem with Scriptures, and if the use of them is offensive to a person, that is a fault to them, not to the Spirit.

Then you should have stated your thinking at the beginning in those terms. Rather than leaving the reader to assume you would place family and friendship over the leading of the Holy Spirit and devotion to His calling. I suggest that the next time you use the example of Paul, who stated what he preferred but followed it immediately with what God desired.

"...plain teaching of scripture..." really????

OK, lets examine your view. You state that Christ died for the sins of the whole world, and that by implication condemn "those professors who (I don't agree).... I reject." Could it be that you are the one wrong? Could it be that you are disobedient to the "plain teaching of Scriptures." It would be merely an application of your own standard to yourself.

Here is the problem with your statement.

You admit that there are those who "dig ... to uncover..." and in place of those manuscripts you embrace traditions and teachings held for almost two thousand years. Mind you that nearly a 1000 of those years greek orthodox and roman papists ruled.

Is it not a cheerful situation that God has put it into the hearts of scholarly men to search and disclose the ancient manuscripts. That the validity and stamina of the truth be revealed from generation to generation.

If the translators of the KJB could have had access to further resources, do you not consider they would have diligently sought them out and investigated them?

I am not opposed to the KJV, in fact I do prefer it. But, neither am I in condition to reject the earnest and veracious work of men who have a heart in searching out the ancient writings.

That is just as the KJB translators did.