1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Looking for short-term teen missions opportunity

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by PowhatanPreacherBoy, Oct 28, 2003.

1. PowhatanPreacherBoy

PowhatanPreacherBoy New Member

I am the youth director of a small church in Powhatan, Virginia. Two years ago we started taking the teens of the church on an annual missions trip. In 2002 the trip was to Saint Georges, Quebec to help our churches newest missionary. In 2003 it was to Three Points, Arizona to help a missionary not affiliated with our church as he ministers to the T'Ohono O'odham Indian Nation.

As most of our missionaries are far overseas and out of our price range to work with physically, we are looking for another candidate for 2004. We have permission to return to either of the above mentioned ones, but I like to provide diversity.

Does anyone know of any missionaries or new churches that could benefit from: 1.) Physical assistance (light construction, repair, cleaning, etc); 2.) Evangelism (tract distribution, etc); 3.) Bible Clubs (3-5 day clubs basically like VBS). This is the type program our teens usually complete in their work.

If anyone knows of a group that could benefit from this type of assistance, please let me know. We are really looking to stay within 800 miles or so of Virginia, so that we can drive. Due the recent hurricane we do not expect a good year for donations, so we are trying to keep costs lower than usual.

One additional item. We want to stay together as a group. We want to lodge together (guys together, girls together but seperate from the guys) and spend most of our time together. We do not want to be mixed into a larger group with other churches. Furthermore, the work needs to be an Independent Baptist work.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. dawna

dawna New Member

you can get ahold of operation christmas child from samaritans purse they are always looking for volunteers to help with the shoe boxes they get them ready to take around the world to pass out. they need help in the warehouse. you can goto their web site at www.samaritanspurse.org
    or type in operation christmas child in your search engine

3. PowhatanPreacherBoy

PowhatanPreacherBoy New Member

Dawna,

Thanks for the reply. I was actually disappointed with the lack of responses so far.

We do, as a church, participate in OCC. We have for several years. What I'm looking for is a more intense function, where the children have a chance to do a bit more evangelism and have a variety of activities. I think OCC is great, but it's not what I'm looking for in this particular function.

Thanks again though, and if you have any other ideas I'd love to hear them.

4. dawna

dawna New Member

5. dawna

dawna New Member

when you go there click the big blue buttons to get a detailed deccription on evangelism progets to get your teens involed in your coumunity:)

its got some great ideas!!
    http://www.kindness.com/matrix/matrix.htm

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Southern Baptist's have a program they call World Changers. It is a great program that could be done in any community. Their website is at http://www.studentz.com/wc/

The International website is at www.thetask.org

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    pm GrifDog as he takes his youth group to a different nation each summer. Think they're looking at China for 2004

8. Mission Man

Mission Man New Member

Hey,
    Operation Christmas child is a GREAT program. My church does it EVERY year and this was like our 4th of 5th year and weve done it about everyyear for about that long. Its a great way to get a youth group or even a church active.