1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Looking for some help

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by zaptear, Jan 15, 2017.

1. zaptear

zaptear Member

So the only Way I have ever read the Bible is cover to cover Every year this year I would like to really study the Bible any suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Get yourself a copy of Expository Thoughts on Mark by J.C. Ryle (Published by Banner of Truth) and study the Gospel of Mark with its help.
    That will get you started. :) Don't get into Ephesians or Romans until you're ready.

• Like Like x 2
  3. zaptear

zaptear Member

Thanks

4. zaptear

zaptear Member

I will take a look thanks

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Get a copy of how to read th Biblefor what it worth, as that will explain the Bible styles to you.
    Read a book in one setting if possible, and then take a chaper at a time, and ask questions such as who wrote it, to whom, what was being addressed , and rememberto apply what you learn!
    Get bible with good cross references, and follow those cross references to ahve Bible interpret itself!

6. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    https://www.amazon. com/How-Read-Bible-All-Worth/dp/0310246040

As Yeshua1 recommended, it is a pretty good book.

Also, many reputable schools have lectures online for free. You could possibly pick up a used OT or NT text cheap, and follow along with the instructor.

7. zaptear

zaptear Member

This is what I have [​IMG]

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Use the Thompson a lot, and follow thru tindividual chain references fo a specifi dotrine that the Bible is givng, and you can pursue that trougout the Bible!

9. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Thompson Chain is a great reference Bible. You got winner there. As another said....just follow the chain all the way through. Great Bible

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably best study Bible fo newcomers to Jesus, as the references are basedupon what God said, not what Scofield/Ryrie/Macathur etc thoughts on it are!

11. zaptear

zaptear Member

Ya drive truck so I also listen to the Bible A lot with the Bible.is app you can download the full bible

12. zaptear

zaptear Member

My pastor gave me this trying to wrap my head around it haha[​IMG]

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes! Dr. Thompson was dean of Aimee Semple McPherson's L.I.F.E Bible College. Here is an ad from her Foursquare Bridal Call magazine highlighting the chain-reference feature:

[​IMG]

My KJB Thompson Chain has a glossary of older words (topic # 4452) right before the concordance that the OP might find helpful.

#13 Jerome, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What edition ofe TC isthat one?

15. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The best method of study is to actually study what Scripture teaches, rather than what men teach that it teaches. My suggestion for study is always going to have the same Three Resources:

1: God;

2: Scripture;

3: Strong's Concordance.

One once said "The best commentary on Scripture is Scripture," and that is true. Train yourself to yield to God's instruction, compare Scripture with Scripture, and I guarantee you that He will give you an understanding of His Word, which is His will for your life.

While I do not deny commentary is helpful, the problem is that danger of being indoctrinated to the views of men, rather than coming to understand what Scripture actually teaches. In the link is Hebrews 5, where the Writer hammers his Hebrew Brethren for being unable to teach and having a need of being taught again. It is all to easy, as we approach Scripture, to search out commentary which agrees with the preconceptions we already have. This is how most choose the Fellowship they will attend. Seldom are you going to see an Arminian perusing Calvinist teachings, and vice versa.

Use commentary as a reference, sure, but it is the Word of God which makes the final determination.

Good luck in your studies, may God bless your efforts and use you for His good purpose.

God bless.