1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Looking for some Scripture

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JMSR, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my opinion, only after it is clear to them by a long train of events that your walk with Christ is genuine and that you're taking their good into account, not merely your own feelings.

I come from Pentecostal/RLDS/Charismania background. I know of no sect that teaches one is not saved if not speaking in tongues. Are you sure that's what's being taught?

One thing that might impress your wife is a willingness to listen to what's actually being said.

You're concerned that your daughter is not dressing immodestly enough? I know a million dads who'd love to be in your shoes. This is not a hill I would die on.

Since what you and your wife have in common are the Scriptures, I'd start there.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bother I feel for your situation. You have to know that when you post in a debate forum you are going to get some criticism. I am sorry for you for some of the responses given. Set those aside. I appreciate your integrity with regards to your own handling of this situation. It can be very contentious at times. It is hard to live with a prideful wife who only wants her own way. Remain humble, pray and fast. Be a disciple of Christ and begin family Bible studies at home. You can address incorrect doctrine without coming across as just wanting to prove your wife wrong.

Find as many teachable moments with you children as you can.And when you get done with all of that pray some more. I understand this can be frustrating. You are however on the right track.

3. JMSR

JMSR New Member

They claim tongues as initial evidence. Same thing. As far as the shorts, it's the fact that she was told she couldn't, and it was by her mothers standards. It had nothing to do with modesty. But you're right, I won't die on that hill. Funny, my dad says that all the time when commenting on picking your battles. But I'm still looking for Scriptures for ME. She won't discuss scripture with me.

4. JMSR

JMSR New Member

Thank you sir.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Then you stay where you are. Anyhoo, that's a very simplistic example. My wife and I have been married 6 years. In those few times when we've had a disagreement, we don't make a decision until we're in agreement. It's always worked. And we've moved twice.
    There may be some confusion here. They take it as confirmation of salvation (on the idea that those who manifest it can are confirmed as having received the baptism of the Holy Spirit). But it's not a prerequisite for salvation.

#25 Johnv, Oct 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2009
  6. JMSR

JMSR New Member

In this situation, staying where you are is equated to not attending church. It's not on the list of options.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

There's nothing stopping you from attending church. You just won't be attending with her, presumably. I highly encourage you to attend a church that's in accordance with your beliefs.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother getting your family to follow you will take some time. Be godly and be consistent. Let them see you in the word and make it a priority in your life and theirs.

9. JMSR

JMSR New Member

No, and I have never pushed the issue on where she attended church. The real current issue with me is where my children do (or don't).

10. JMSR

JMSR New Member

Have you been talking to my mom? :smilewinkgrin: I guess I need it coming from every direction.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

In regards to your children, that bridge has already been crossed. All you can do is be a Godly husband and father, teach them at home (children get more spiritual instruction at home than in church), and be a living example of Christ to your wife. This is something you have control over, and I encourage you to be consistent in these things. I concur with the prior post. Getting your family to follow you is going to take some time.

12. JMSR

JMSR New Member

Thank you all for your time in responses, which at the heart are all the same. I only pray that I can display Christ as such that his truths cannot be denied.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Often by asking questions of the other person can result in them doubting their beliefs. If take the obvious differences and see what scripture obviously teaches it will be obvious which is correct.

You can tell a crooked stick by comparing it to a straight one.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Why does he not have any control over where his children go to church? I don't understand why this point is so easily being given over and the wife allowed to take the children anywhere she wants. He is their father and he does have a right to also have the children at his church. I stand by my earlier statements and think JMSR should attempt to have the kids alternate churches each week. If his wife's church is seriously teaching a false doctrine, I would do whatever it took to make sure my kids weren't going there at all.

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He does.Some folks just want to make sure everyone's views are seen as equally valid. In this case the moms is not based on what has been said.

17. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll strongly second this, and suggest you study scripture (2Tim 2:15) hard and be in the Word everyday to know how to deal with the oneness doctrines (truth through planting seeds with scripture, and Yes! be humble when doing it) because that doctrine is bad bad news. So is the baptism of the HS stuff as it, in essence. puts the power of salvation into the hands of the one doing the dunking who is falsely declaring these signs of tongues.

I certainly feel for you and imagine the church in which she goes will not only be working against you personally but putting wedges between the two of you, (as if you are the lying devil, I've seen them do it) so I would watch for that and also be scripturally prepared to show that if they are doing such it is wrong of them, again while being humble. (Mat 23;12) Consider that a promise as it is true!

Personally, I would start by teaching my children as soon as possible the truth along with the problems of associated with your wife's church doctrines as you might be surprised how well those little sponges can understand and appreciate that God's Word is true and does not contradict itself. Plus, it will be good practice for you and they can also be witnesses through their understandings to your wife.

I can't stress enough to study, gain knowledge and undertanding, be wise and remain humble; pray and declare the Word of God as being the sole authority, let it be known and have it do the convicting.

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The topic of feminism isn't the topic at hand. Further, I don't believe it's appropriate to accuse the author of the OP of being emasculated.
    That's a good question. The time to make the decision was before this issue came to light. By not making the decision, the decision has been made. Again, it's a matter of reaping what has been sown.

I'm generally not in favor of kids of intact parents alternating churches. It may be more disruptive to the kids to be in an "every other week" Sunday School situation. That kinds of thing is more akin to a divorce situation, and it would present the perception to the kids that their parents are not in one accord. The goal is to grow closer to being of one accord, not further apart. In a married household, I don't believe the children should be alternating churches.

That's strictly my $.02, though, and your mileage may vary.

#39 Johnv, Oct 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2009
  20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it's not the same thing. They claim tongues as initial evidence of being baptized in the Spirit.

They don't understand the Spirit. Their thought is actually a mix of paganism with Christianity. To them, unless there is a "feelin'" the Spirit hasn't moved.

Again, a willingness to listen carefully to what's actually being said will move mountains.