1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

looking for sweet potato recipes

Discussion in 'Women's Fellowship Forum' started by abcgrad94, Apr 5, 2012.

1. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm looking for sweet potato recipes that use other seasonings besides the usual sugar, cinnamon, marshmallows, etc. I got a box of the orange taters to eat healthier, but if I doctor them up with sugar, it defeats the purpose.

So, any tried and true recipes out there?

2. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sweet potato is kumara I think.....why on earth sweeten them? Excellent as a baked item, or as smashed kumara (boiled,mashed and served up with gravy). Make wedgies and bake in the oven....sprinkle them with any savoury seasoning like a Mexican mix, salt and pepper.

3. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I love sweet potatoes!! We always make the traditional Sweet Potato Souffle for Thanksgiving/Christmas, and altho yummy, its very fattening. One of my favorite recipes is Sweet Potato Biscuits, served up with a thin slice of ham in the middle. Yummy as well, but also fattening. Baked or Roasted with a drizzle of butter and maple syrup and cinnamon are good, too, and much healthier! I hope someone posts some recipes that are healthy as all mine are not so much. LOL

4. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Sweet potato fries...just cut 'em up to fry size, spray some no fat cooking spray on a cookie sheet, spread them out, cook for 8 mins, flip them around with a spatula, spray some more no fat spray on top of them, and go for another 8 mins.

5. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Here's something we do about once a week:

We take a whole chicken, cut in half, and put my own rub on it, and heat the Big Green Egg up to around 240-250 degrees. We then cook the chicken about 45 minutes per pound, placing it right on the grill, no foil. We do this in indirect heat (using a 'plate setter' for the Big Green Egg, and you can do this on any charcoal grill by putting the chicken opposite side of the coals, and venting the top and bottom, using a thermometer to guage the temp.).

We then take three nice sized sweet potatoes, wrap them in foil, and place them on the grill also. I generally put them on the grill about an hour before the chicken.

We take the chicken and potatoes off, and put nothing on the sweet potatoes, they are very soft and sweet, carmelized a bit. Very good...as a matter of fact, I am making this right now...will be done around 5:30 our time. The chicken on there is 4.33 pounds, and is a 'Smart Chicken' (and they are better as we've tried others) and it will cook for 3 hours. Crispy on the outside, and nice and moist inside. Very good. Our 2 year old loves the taters and chicken mixed together in a bowl, and almost eats a whole sweet tater herself!

6. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Greasless French Fried Sweet Potatoes
    Cut sweet potatoe into French Fry strips.
    Put in a single layer on a microwaveable container
    Microwave until tender.

Do not sprinkle salt on them. If you do they turn to stone in the microwave.

7. Romans7man

Romans7man New Member

Vardaman, Ms is the sweet potato capital of the world. You might google it and see what they have. They have a sweet potato festival every year with sweet potatoes fixed any way one can think of and then some.

8. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Orange and Spice Mashed Sweet Potatoes
    Prep Time: 5 mins Cook time: 1 hr. Servings: 4

4 medium sweet potatoes
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1/8 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
    1/8 tsp. Ground Allspice
    2 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. Unsalted Butter, divided
    1 tbsp. molasses or brown sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake sweet potatoes 45-55 mins. or until tender. Cut potatoes in half and scoop out the pulp into a mixing bowl. Add orange juice, nutmeg, allspice and 2 tbsp of the butter; beat until fluffy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Coat a 1-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon potatoes into dish. Drizzle molasses over potatoes and dot with remaining 1 tsp. butter.

Bake uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Serve hot.

9. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for all the good ideas.