1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Looking for theology survey book recommendations

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, May 24, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not always. I have bought many books over the years I never read. However some books have been given to me or highly suggested to me and I have read them and enjoyed them.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DMLJ is too academic?? He was an intelligent preacher. But I wouldn't call him academic. But compared with most of the ministerial fare we are getting these days his content might very well be considered to be academic in comparison.

I remember a bit of story about him in Murray's biography of DMLJ. The latter was on a sick leave and a 12 year old girl from his congregation wrote him,hoping that he would get well. And, she said she missed his preaching --that his messages were so understandable.

Sometimes it's not what people want --but what they need that matters. I think a dose of DMLJ is just what the doctor ordered.

3. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I concur. I have bought my wife books... doesn't read them. And they are the genre she likes. She buys me books.... I don't read them, she doesn't know what I will read and what I will only use as reference. When it comes to books, I want to buy it myself or someone I trust.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have his book Spiritual Depression and read some of him in seminary. Maybe I can start by listening to a sermon of his. Do you know where I can find them? The audio tapes must have been digitized.

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also remember I am in a church where the people do not exactly read nor study theology. Well the once exception is this one man I met (not a Calvinist) but he loves theology and will read Calvinists in his attempt to refute them. I like that as he will read an argument before he dismisses it, unlike most. Lots reject WOTM before they actually read the books.

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    testament

Encountering the new testament/Encountering the Old testament

Both by Baker press, one of the best beginning survey level books!

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reading DMLJ sermons is not the same thing as reading an academic textbook or a systematic theology. She'll be blessed. It's unavoidable! :)

8. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    For that matter, have her read Piper's sermons.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I know that. I have Magnifying God in Christ (abridged version) and even that version is deep but imagine reading the graduate level version? Anyways most these days do not read theology sad as it is so you must start then off somewhere. It's called Baby Steps.

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

What books by Piper? Desiring God?

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I have heard of those but I wonder if they would be too academic for her. Compare those books to that 30 Days to understanding the Bible book I mentioned earlier.

12. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those aren't bad, per se. But they were meant for undergrad OT/NT intros. Kohstenberger and company recently finished their NT intro (seminary level and good). Then they came out with a condensed version. I haven't read it, but I like that idea.

Cradle Cross Crown: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0805443657/?tag=baptis04-20

Lion and the Lamb (condensed version of above): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1433677083/?tag=baptis04-20

They have yet to do this for the OT volume (to my knowledge):

The World and the Word: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0805440313/?tag=baptis04-20

13. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    I prefer to read his sermons b/c it is so much faster. That is what the desiring God website is all about.

I found his Romans series chs. 1-8 epub version online for free.

I then copied all of his sermons from 9-16, converted into epub, and put it on my nook. Nearly 2,000 pages of good preaching, great theology, and outstanding practical insights. And that is just from Romans!

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks! looks to be interesting!

certainly looks to be better to use then the ole NT theology text book by believe was Donald Guthrie used!

I suggested those two as the OP seemed to be asking for true beginners intro to the Bible!

15. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    I get it, but those books have tremendous downfalls pedagogically and as far as NT theology is concerned. Not a fan of them at all.

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please do not make recommendations for any digital book unless you are gonna buy us one. We prefer good old fashioned books as they are CHEAPER.

17. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is cheaper than free??? If you want, I'll email them to you (assuming I can). Or you can go here: http://www.desiringgod.org/sermons/by-series/romans-the-greatest-letter-ever-written and listen/watch/read them yourself. Or, you can research how to make your own digital version for free like I did!

But alas, I too prefer paper to digital ink.

PS: my wife just finished J Mac's The Gospel According to Jesus. She loved it and found it both instructive and practically applicable. Would that be something your wife would read?

#37 Greektim, May 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
  18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What would be your major concerns with them?

19. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At the independent Baptist, fundamentalist college I attended, they used the book The Great Doctrines of the Bible by William Evans as a survey theology textbook. It was published by Moody Press, but I do not know if it is still in print.

A Bible doctrines book by a Baptist is Bible Doctrines: Beliefs That Matter by Mark G. Cambron [copyright 1954] if it is still in print.

Another possibility might be Bible Truth by Oliver B. Greene [copyright 1968].

I think that someone already mentioned the two book set
    Bible Doctrines for Today by Michael C. Bere and published by A Beka Book.

Another possibility might be Introductory Lectures in Systematic Theology by Henry Clarence Thiessen [copyright 1949]

20. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can't get much more non-academic than an IFB college.