1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lord's Day

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by wopik, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    QB: Do you recognize Christ, have you died "to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch! These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings" (vs. 20-22). QE

Ya, true! Never denied and never could Amen too strongly.
    But where do get this from? From Galatians? I beg your pardon!
    Nevertheless, In Colossians 2:20-21 IT IS THE WORLD as antagonist of Christ's Own who is so full of pettiness. Then in Galatians it was the world from which the Church-members came and to which they now returned that observed days etc. So we only derive a clearer picture of the WORLD by putting together these two Scriptures. And maybe we could DEDUCE a clearer picture of the CHURCH by keeping in mind the Church as the OPPOSITE of the 'World'!

2. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

Gerhard

Gal. 4:9-10
    Col 2:20-22

All that frantic posting is not gonna get you anywhere. You're one confused dude that's not making sense. [​IMG]

[ January 14, 2005, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: prophecynut ]

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is 'confusion', to say Col.2:16-17 speaks of "OT" things; to say it speaks of "ceremonial" things, to say it speaks of "annual" things etc. if it simply does NOT. This is 'confusion' to be unable to read what is written there, that it is the CHURCH, "the Body that is of Christ's Own", "YOU" who is "feasting" "OF Sabbaths".
    Mine is not "frantic" posting - I fear nothing because I stick to the Text. Yours is "frantic" scrambling to from all over collect relics of irrelevancies for your Sunday-showcase.

4. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

:rolleyes: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [​IMG]

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Are there are still people who feel at liberty to rebell against Christ the Creator's memorial of HIS creative act in making mankind?

Are there STILL people who SEE that Isaiah 66 says "THAT ALL MANKIND shall come before me to worship FROM SABBATH TO SABBATH" in the new earth - and yet feel free to violate the 4th commandment?

Are there STILL people who see Christ saying in Mark 2:27 that HIS OWN Sabbath memorial of creation was "MADE for MANKIND" and yet feel that THEY are not part of that group for whom Christ the Creator MADE this creation memorial?

Making up a "whipped horse story" is not as compelling as simply looking at the text of scripture.

In Christ,

Bob

6. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

It's a dead horse for sure, the only ones beating their brains out on it are 7th day aventist.

Mark 2:27 - Jesus was telling the Pharisees that he was Lord of the Sabbath and then demonstrates this in 3:1-6.

Jewish tradition had multiple requirements and retrictions for keeping the Sabbath which had become an intolerable burden, Jesus cut across these traditions and emphasized the God-given purpose of the Sabbath was to benefit the people spiritually.

Jewish tradition prescribed that aid could be given the sick on the Sabbath only when the person's life was threatened, which obviously was not the case with the man with a shriveled hand. After Jesus healed the man the "stubborn hearts" of the Pharisees "began to plot with the Herodians how they might kill Jesus." To the Pharisees Jesus was a Sabbath-violator, an offense punishable by death (Ex. 31:14-17).

To Jesus the moral issure of doing good and saving lives was far more important on the Sabbath than conforming to legalistic issues which led them to plot against Jesus to kill him. As Lord of the Sabbath Jesus freed it from legal encumbrances, and in grace delivered this man from his distress.

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I haven't had a look at your 'profile' - can't fathom whether you believe God's Sabbath Day or not.
    I am no SDA - I am a Calvinist. I believe as per this Article 28 from the Belgic Standard of Faith,
    Article 28: The Obligations of Church Members
    We believe that since this holy assembly and congregation is the
    gathering of those who are saved and there is no salvation apart from
    it, no one ought to withdraw from it, content to be by himself,
    regardless of his status or condition.
    But all people are obliged to join and unite with it, keeping the unity
    of the church by submitting to its instruction and discipline, by
    bending their necks under the yoke of Jesus Christ, and by serving to
    build up one another, according to the gifts God has given them as
    members of each other in the same body.
    And to preserve this unity more effectively, it is the duty of all
    believers, according to God's Word, to separate themselves from those
    who do not belong to the church, in order to join this assembly wherever
    God has established it, even if civil authorities and royal decrees
    forbid and death and physical punishment result.
    And so, all who withdraw from the church or do not join it act contrary
    to God's ordinance.

Thing is: Imagine this Raticle in PRACTICE without the Day of and for Worship!
    My problem is: This Day CANNOT and MAY not be Sunday, but CAN and MUST be, "the Seventh Day concerning the which GOD THUS SPOKE", "to US" that is, to His CHURCH.
    Answer me in THIS, MY, dilemma if want to call it that, with Sunday? You'll first have to qualify as the best of liars.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Any argument for the sabbath beginning and ending at a specific time on the clock is refuted as soon as you move into another time zone.

The bottom line is that we have Jesus telling us that the Sabbath was made for us, not us for the Sabbath. Then, Paul tells us to not allow anyone to judge us in regards to how we choose to keep fests, including the Sabbath, each of us deciding in our own minds.

Those who fight amongst themselves in regards to what day and tine the actual Sabbath begins, and what day and time the Sabbath ends, become slaves to the Sabbath, rather than having the Sabbath being a gift from God to them.

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Are there are still people who feel at liberty to rebell against Christ the Creator's memorial of HIS creative act in making mankind?

Are there STILL people who SEE that Isaiah 66 says "THAT ALL MANKIND shall come before me to worship FROM SABBATH TO SABBATH" in the new earth - and yet feel free to violate the 4th commandment?

Are there STILL people who see Christ saying in Mark 2:27 that HIS OWN Sabbath memorial of creation was "MADE for MANKIND" and yet feel that THEY are not part of that group for whom Christ the Creator MADE this creation memorial?

Making up a "whipped horse story" is not as compelling as simply looking at the text of scripture.

In Christ,

Bob
    </font>[/QUOTE]Dear Bob,
    Don't YOU feel liberated believing in Christ the Saviour's memorial of HIS redemptive act in saving mankind through resurrection from the dead "in Sabbath's-time"?

Do YOU, STILL not SEE that Isaiah 66 - speaking of this Christian era as "the new earth" - says, "ALL MANKIND (the world-wide Christian Church) shall come before me to worship FROM SABBATH TO SABBATH" - and so MISS the TRUE BLESSING of the 4th commandment?
    Are YOU, STILL oblivious to Christ saying in Mark 2:27 that HIS OWN Lordship of the Sabbath was meant or "obtained" / "availed" / "MADE for MANKIND" - "THEREFORE the Son of Man IS ...."? Yet YOU, don't feel that Christ the SAVIOUR "TRIUMPHED IN IT" - that is, in His resurrection: "on the Sabbath" - the Sabbath "THUS" becoming 'the Lord's Day'?
    ("God THUS in these last days (of the 'New Earth') ... through the Son ... concerning the Seventh Day (OF OLD) spoke".)
    ... Simply looking at the text of scripture.

10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What "is compelling" is Christ, and Christ in resurrection from the dead. Read Acts where Peter proclaims Christ, saying "This Jesus whom YOU crucified but GOD raised from the dead". Which day was it Peter preaching? the Lord's Day - the very day he rose from the dead on!. No doubt Peter preached on the Day of Pentecost it being the Sabbath Day. Compare Peter's message with that of Paul on the Sabbath Day in chapter 13! What did Paul on that Sabbath Day preach? Exactly - almost a verbatim copy - of Peter's sermon ... ON THE SABBATH DAY! CHRIST RAISED ON THE SABBATH DAY - THAT IN PRACTICE WAS THE GOSPEL - in ESSENCE nothing but Jesus Christ and HE in resurrection from the dead!
    Church and Message and Sabbath - never to be severed!

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Then we have a problem, because the Gospels say that Jesus rose AFTER the Sabbath day. So which is it?

12. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Full agreement on your last paragraph!

As to your first paragraph, To say that "Any argument for the sabbath beginning and ending at a specific time on the clock is refuted as soon as you move into another time zone" is simply nonsense not worth a fight of thumbs.

Your middle paragraph though is unfathomable its "thinking going beyond what is written".
    Where do you read Jesus meaning ANY DAY where "telling us that the Sabbath was made for us, not us for the Sabbath"? Isn't Jesus speaking about the Sabbath?
    Then, where do you read "Paul tells us to not allow anyone to judge us in regards to how we choose to keep feasts, including the Sabbath, each of us deciding in our own minds"? I count of your thirty (30) words, seventeen (17) impossible to indicate from the text. And then of your key words, not a single one can be found in the text.

13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Dear John (not yet Paul) v,
    You are free to browse twenty to thirty Translations of Mt.28:1 on Internet - there are several url's.
    First make the impartial observation there are the 'old' Translations and the 'newer'.
    Draw a list of these on two columns. (You may find something like it somewhere on www.biblestudents.co.za.)
    It will be as easy as undeniable a difference to be seen: The older Translations almost as one render Mt.28:1 "In / on the Sabbath ... against / before the First Day"
    Ask yourself the inescapable question, Why?

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sorry, haven't finished thesis:
    The newer Translations almost invariably have, "After the Sabbath ... ON the First Day".
    Then, ask the question!

15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I went straight to the Greek. The Greek says Jesus rose after the Sabbath. Pretty open and shut.

17. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

I was referring to Bob as the 7th day aventist.

I see now why you're all messed up on the Sabbath. Isa. 66 is not the Christian era, it concerns Israel during the Tribulation and the Millennium that follows.

Verse 3, is the reinstituting of sacrifices in the future Tribulation temple.

Verse 6, is the Tribulation temple yet to be built.

Verse 7, is the Trib. "Before she (Israel) goes into labor (Jacob's trouble) she gives birth (to the man child of Rev. 12:5); before the pains (of Tribulation) come upon her, she delivers a son (the 144,000).

Verses 10-14 is the Millennium.

Verses 15-16 is Armageddon.

Verse 20 is the gathering of Jews from the four corners of the earth (Mt.24:31) to the Millennial Temple (Eze. 40-48) during the Millennium.

Verse 23 is observation of the Sabbath by Jews and Gentile during the Millennium, not during the Christian era.

18. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I went straight to the Greek. The Greek says Jesus rose after the Sabbath. Pretty open and shut.
    </font>[/QUOTE]You went to the Greek? Huh?
    Opse de sabbatohn - "Late Sabbath's" - Genitive, Sabbatohn tehi epiphohskousehi - "in the very being of (day) light" literal and Dative in combination with the first Genitive "Sabbath's": "Sabbath's noon"; eis mian sabbatohn - against / before/ pending the First (day) of the week" - Akkusative!
    You have Gone to the Greek, huh?

19. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Oh yes, I forgot (I'm getting old) you did go to the Greek - but not Matthew's, but Justin's! It's him who first wrote "after the Sabbath", and, "on the Day of the Sun".

20. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I forgot again! Justin didn't say, "after the Sabbath" - he wrote, "after the Day of Saturn"!