1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lord's supper questions

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by rlvaughn, Dec 5, 2006.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The following is semi-historical research and of an informational rather than debate nature, so I am posting the questions here -- hopefully to dispel debate and especially since several who practice feet washing in connection with the Lord's supper frequent this forum.

The other day I was thinking some thoughts about the Lord's supper, and got to wondering what might be most commonly practiced by the churches represented by individuals on the BB. This is just a matter of interest in the differences/similarities.

1. How often do you (your church) observe the Lord's supper? Annually? Quarterly? Monthly? Weekly? Other? Is it observed around noon time or in the evening (or something other)?

2. Are the elements unleavened bread and wine? or something else? Are these made or purchased? Is the wine grape wine, and does it matter to your church?

3. Who may participate? Members only? Like faith and order? Professing Christians? Other?

4. Do you observe feet washing with the Lord's supper? If so, before or after? Every time the Lord's supper is observed or occasionally?

5. If you practice feet washing, are the participants of feet washing limited to the same group of people the Lord's supper is limited to?

Looking forward with interest to your answers. Thanks.

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

1. Monthly (first Sunday) during all services.

2. Crackers and grape juice.

3. Batized believers only.

4. No, mine stink too bad to take off my shoes in public.

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems like 5 or 6 times a year, with no calendar pattern. It is observed in all 3 morning services, and we have no evening services.

To my knowledge, they are unleavened bread and grapejuice, and purchased [I don't think we grow enough grapes around here to serve 3-4 thousand people even in such little slurp glasses]. I know of nothing in our church to change what we use as the elements.

All present who are willing to declare [tacitly, for almost all] themselves as baptized believers in Christ.

No; not ever. [I don't think I'd trust that; if it's "supper" with no real supper, some may start looking for some snack to munch on, like free toes.]

Not applicable.

4. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother James Reed:

Thank you, dear brother, for the post. I miss our brethren very much, very very much.
    On the third Sunday of this incoming year, if memory serves me right, the brethren at Columbia will be sitting down to sup with the Lord and wash each other's feet again.
    Please pray for me that the Lord will make a way for me to be with the brethren, as despite our differences caused by this great compromises that have crept in among the PB's I still love them greatly and I know they love me and my wife, too.
    I have not heard much from them, and I do hope to wash our 103 year old saint's feet once more (Brother Jim Compton).

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

1. Our church observes the LS quarterly as a rule, but other times on special occasions.

2. Unleavened bread and grape juice (although I would have no problem personally with wine).

3. Believers, although I personally prefer members only.

4-5. Out church does not practice footwashing.

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

1. How often do you (your church) observe the Lord's supper? Annually? Quarterly? Monthly? Weekly? Other? Is it observed around noon time or in the evening (or something other)?

Answer: We have the Lord's supper Annually but as you know we meet once a month and so we go from church to church during a month. We are free if we are in good standing at home church to take the Lord's supper with any and all churches we visit that we correspond with.

2. Are the elements unleavened bread and wine? or something else? Are these made or purchased? Is the wine grape wine, and does it matter to your church?

Answer: The elements are unleavened bread baked by one of a deacon's wife. We use grape juice instead and it does matter for we don't beleive in acoholic beverages at all. We meet back at 4:00 pm on a Saturday and we first have one preacher and then a song followed by prayer. The moderator then calls a recess while the deacons and their wives prepare the table by setting the fruit of the vine with cups and the unleavened bread in plates, and then covering the table with a white cloth (which represents the shroud that covered Jesus). Then we bring in the water, towels and pans for the footwashing. Then everyone is called back by a song and the Moderator comes to the stand and usually preaches and instructs on John 13 concerning the Lord establishing feet washing in the church and said if I your Lord and Master have washed your feet then you ought to wash one another, and 1 Corth 11: where the church is instructed to let every man judge himself and so let him eat, but if he eat unworthy, he eateth and drinketh damnation to himself. The moderator then inqures for peace again, for the peace call had been made in the morning services, and if all in peace. The moderator then invites all our vistors of same faith and order to take the communion and feetwashing with us that are at peace at their home church. After finding all in peace the moderator then invites all ordained authority around the table and ask one of the preacher to hold a prayer asking God to bless the table to represent the blood and body of Christ and that we can all partake of it in peace. Then after prayer the deacons wives remove the white cloth covering that has been placed over the table which represents the shroud that covered Jesus's body. All the ordained authority then partakes in the breaking of the bread in small peices and placed in a plate for serving. After the bread is broken all sit down except the moderator and our deacon and their wives. Two of the deacons will first serve the moderator, one will serve the bread and the other will serve the fruit of the vine. The moderator then instructs the deacons to start serving the brothers and the deacon's wives to start serving the sisters. We do not call them deaconess for we didn't ordain the deacon's wives.

The sisters sit on the left of the house in most cases and the brothers in the stand and on the right. The brother deacon serve the brothers and their wives serve the sisters. After everyone has partaken of the bread and fruit of the vine the moderator inquires if all have partaken and if so then we move on to the foot washing.

3. Who may participate? Members only? Like faith and order? Professing Christians? Other?

Answer: We are in correspondence with several associations of Old Regular Baptist from Michigan to Fla. and we are allowed to commune with any of them, again as long as we are in peace at home. Of course they must be in an orderly fashion also.

4. Do you observe feet washing with the Lord's supper? If so, before or after? Every time the Lord's supper is observed or occasionally?

Answer: We practice footwashing everytime we take communion. After the taking of the bread and fruit of the vine we lay aside our garments and the deacons pour water in basins. The moderator takes the first basin and picks a brother and washes his feet and then he washes the moderators feet. Often our brethren will reach in and help wash another feet even though that is not the brother that he is going to wash his feet one on one. I have had a couple of time in 34 years a sister reach down and take a little water in her hand and rub my feet. After all have washed feet the moderator then inquires if all have washed someone's feet and if all have had their feet washed.

5. If you practice feet washing, are the participants of feet washing limited to the same group of people the Lord's supper is limited to?

Answer: Yes, it is all one complete happening from communion to feet washing and then we sing a song and go out without calling dismission.

Looking forward with interest to your answers. Thanks.__________________
    R.L. Vaughn

Brother Bob, Merry Christmas

#7 Brother Bob, Dec 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2006
  8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

We serve in reverse order from you. After the preacher breaks and blesses the bread we serve the lay people first then the chior, ushers, mothers and deaconess, deacons, clergy and one of the clergy will serve the Minister administering over the table. We then take the bread and wine together.

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Didn't understand the last part? We then take the bread and wine together, do you take it twice?

1. I only suspect for this has been going on a long time before I came along, but there are young members in the congregation that don't know what to do completely and by watching the moderator then they can follow suit, kinda like the Lord being baptized to set and example for us to follow.

2. Also, by the moderator have already partaken his part then he is free to have his mind on the congregation to see that all are served and everything is in order.

3. Also, the washing of feet, another example following the Lord who first washed his apostles feet and said "if I your Lord and Master have washed your feet then you also ought to wash one another". Again, giving the young members direction in how to conduct themselves in the special services.

#9 Brother Bob, Dec 6, 2006
  10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The first Sunday of the month during the service.

Unleavened bread (matzah) and grape juice

Any baptised believer - does not need to be a member

Never have

n/a

11. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lords Supper

{}We use ordained brothers only at the table, the Pastor of the local Church asks the Lords blessing over the the bread which is made from whole wheat flour and water( no leaven)and breakes it then the other Elders help break it and then they serve it, then the Local Pastor takes the wine and asks God to bless the cup and the blood, the other Elders all help pour the wine into the cup, sometimes we have two cups , and they hold them together and pray,{prior to, the bread breaking and prior to the wine pouring the bible verses concerning the last supper are read, ]the bread and wine are served seperately and are prayed over bread first, then served ,wine next then served, alot of singing is done during the serving of the supper the Elders remove the cloth from over the table in our churches, the sisters do not touch the table at all,in the SGA Old Regular Baptist, Christ told them to drink ye all of it, so the cup comes back empty, not that one person drinks the whole cup but as a group it is divided and they drink all of it, then the Pastor will read about the washing of feet, by Jesus and will try to do as he did, laying aside any outer garments like suit coats etc... socks and gird himself with a towel, take a pitcher and pour water into a bason, and go and wash some brother's feet and he in turn will wash his then the rest of the church follows, sisters wash sisters and brothers wash brothers ,usually the brother next to them.I would like to say I have seen it done, different ways, in the Old Regular Baptist, but always in a serious and orderly way.Brother Slone}

#11 old regular, Dec 6, 2006
  12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

No Sir, everyone is served then we all take the communion together.

If I am doing it I begin by telling the story of the last supper then I will hold up my bread and say, "and after they ate he took the bread, blessed it and break it saying this is my body which is broken for many. Our savior told us he that eateth my flesh dwell in me and I in him. As often as we do this we show his death and suffering till he comes. This is his body, eateth all of it". We then all eat the bread together.

Then I will old up my cup and say, "and he took the cup and said this cup is the new testament in my blood: blood that was shed for many for the remission of their sin. As oft as we do this we show forth his death and suffering till he some, this is his blood, drink ye all of it..." then we all drink together.

We then begin singing a hymn (usually what a fellowship what a joy divine) and we join hands forming a large circle around the Church up and down the isles. When the song is over, we say benediction and hug one another.

#12 LeBuick, Dec 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2006
  13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I understand now, sounds like a nice way to take communion.

14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I am considering feet washing at the watch night service bringing in 2007. We don't have any deacons or ministers to ordain so I will have some time to fill. We normally hold ordination, a testimony service, my buddy "The Doctor" brings the message and we pray in the new year.

I've mentioned it a few times at the Church and seem to get favorable response's.

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

If you do, let me know how it goes with everyone.

16. tenor

tenor New Member

1. Quarterly is proscribed by our constitution. We also do Maundy Thursday (Evening) and CHristmas Eve (evening). The other times are in the morning worship servie because we normally do not have evening services. I would prefer it more often.

2. We generally use the "Lord's Supper" crumbled crackers and grape juice. At times we may use a loaf or other source of bread.

3. Professing Christians.

4. No.

5. Not applicable.

We do try to vary the approach to observing the Lord's Supper. This is a new idea for this church.

17. pasdave

pasdave New Member

Off the subject a little, but, what is "Maundy Thursday?"

18. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

It's just before Tausday Friday.

Sorry, just couldn't help myself.:tongue3:

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

We all have a little mean streak in us. :) You can't hardly tell mine though. [​IMG]

20. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maundy Thursday is the Thursday before "Good Friday", or IOW, the Thursday that comes before Easter. According to some, the word "Maundy" goes back through the Old English and Old French mandé, from the Latin mandatum (the first word of the phrase "Mandatum novum do vobis ut diligatis invicem sicut dilexi vos" -- A new commandment I give unto you..." The idea that Christ commanded the communion and washing of feet would be tied to this.

For "Maundy Thursday" think "Mandate Thursday". (That helps me remember what it means.)