1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lord's Supper/ Salvation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by govteach51, Dec 26, 2011.

1. govteach51

govteach51 New Member

Let me ask this, do you think you must take communion/Lord's Supper in order to be saved. I have not in a number of years taken communion. I do not question my salvation and have taken it in the past.
    It started a number of years ago when I severed in a church for a brief period as interim staff. They had "closed" communion and because I was not a member, was not allowed to take the "blood and body." They did it every Sunday evening....When I returned to my home church, I continued the practice.
    The First Quarter Lord's Supper is to take place in the next couple of weeks, and I am seriously considering taking communion again. However, I may not....

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

To your question the answer is no, but if we are saved we should. Why would you not want to take it if there was a possibility to do so? I would say this. If your practice is not taking the table when offered then don't serve in any capacity in the church not even singing in the choir. We are not commanded as to how often to take it, but we are commanded to do so when offered.
    I strongly suggest you get some counseling on this if you are not going to take it as there is something spiritually wrong here. Refrain from serving in the church until you willingly and desiringly take it when offered with a clear conscience.

#2 freeatlast, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2011
  3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salvation is by grace through faith and has nothing to do with works, even something commanded by God such as the Lord's Supper.

But why did you continue to not take it when you moved back to your church? The Lord's Supper is such a special worshipful experience, I can't imagine willingly choosing not to.

4. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Unless we have some kind of unconfessed sin in our lives, I cannot think of anything better for our spiritual growth than taking the Lord's Supper. I mean, we look back, look inward, look upward, and look forward.

5. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Salvation is by the Grace of God, appropiate by/through faith in Jesus and His atoning work on the Cross ALONE...

Communion/Baptism, the 2 church ordinances given by God unto us as believers to practice...

Neither MANDITORY in order to be saved, stay saved, BUT BOTH of them commanded to be practiced by God, so would be in disobedience to the expressed will of God for us!

6. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me encourage you to examine your heart in this matter, and again seek communion with Christ.

Having been were you were, I consider "close and closed" communion an affront to the nature of what the Lord's Supper is supposed to represent. Especially if an assembly allows you to serve in a leadership position and then has the audacity to refuse communion.

Spend time alone with Christ. Deal honestly and with full introspection as to your condition and what has prevented you. Even if you do not partake, allowing the Holy Spirit to tender your heart and temper your living will be a huge benefit.

Remember that communion is individual high worship and time to reflect upon all Christ has done not only on the cross, but in all your living. It is offered by the church but is to be a time when you and Christ do personal business that none other may have knowledge or even capacity to understand. Within that time, take the opportunity to be open and honest in the fellowship with Christ.

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Question:
    govteach, why did you not move your membership to the church you were serving? Then taking the Lord's Supper would have been no problem. You could have made the issue go away. Why didn't you?

Did you know of the church's stance on closed communion when you interviewed for the job? If it bothered you, why did you stay.

I get the feeling we don't have all the facts we need. Something is missing here.

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Salvation is by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone. It has nothing to do with our works (Eph 2:8-9). So, "must" you take the Lord's Supper to be saved? No. The only thing have "must do" to be saved is place your trust in the Lord Jesus Christ.

==Any church that has a closed communion is, in my opinion, violating Scripture. The Lord's Table is for all of His children not just a select group. If you find yourself at a church that refuses the Lord's Table to any and all believers you should leave that church asap.

==Why not? I can't understand why you would not go eat at the Lord's Table? The only reason a believer should stay away is unconfessed, willful sin in their life. If you are a child of God through faith in Christ and if you are in good standing with your fellowship with God you should eat from the Lord's Table. There is no reason not to.

9. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

My question also. I personally believe that in order to serve in a church in any endeavor/position, staff or not, one should be a member.

My suggestion to "govteach51" is to examine yourself. That is something we all should do before participating in the Lord's Supper,