1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Lordship Salvation Defended

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jan 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    <snip other verses>

Please give your definition of Lordship Salvation. Maybe start a thread "Lordship Salvation Defined" and then lay out what you believe it to be. Otherwise people are talking past each other and it leads to statements like these:

So, what is your definition of Lordship Salvation?

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No, you simply cannot respond to what I spelled out in very clear language and so you take the easy but false path of ridicule. Regeneration and justification are based and established upon a fixed standard of sinless righteousness found only in the Person and works of Christ that is equal among all saints, but progressive sanctification is not fixed or equal among all saints.

Secondly, you refuse to distinguish what is true of the regenerate nature versus the person as a whole. You apparently do not believe that Romans 7:14-25 or Galatians 5:16-25 refers to an inward conflict within the regenerate man. If that is so, then you need to learn proper hermeneutics or if you do know proper hermeneutics you need to apply it rightly because only improper exegesis and improper interpretation of those passages will come to such a conclusion.

3. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By simply reading the bible, some have come to believe we should be handling snakes, others believe physical healing is guaranteed to all believers, and others believe salvation is no more than getting to go to heaven.

It takes much more than reading the words from our own paradigm

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Can you find that phrase in the Bible: "Lordship salvation"?
    I have never seen it. How do you know this philosophy is there if it can't be seen in the Bible? Why are you so easily convinced it is there when it is not?
    It seems to me you can't even come up with a simple definition of the term.

5. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And I did moons ago!

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Can you find the word Trinity in the bible? I can't but the concept is there. LS means submission and surrender to the LS of Christ and that true converts will do this. False converts think surrender and submission is optional and that they may live anyway they please.

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

That's why we have teachers whom write books. But since you tossed your Gospel According to Jesus book you have failed to give Mac an opportunity to defend the argument.

Also remember biblical theology and exegesis. Exegesis alone without biblical theology one can conclude that handling snakes is required but since that text does not show anywhere else and since it was an addition to Mark its best to conclude its not original to Mark.

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I read the bible and believe it. But I will say those whom are more gifted than me have written books to defend LS.

MacArthur
    Paul Washer
    Ernest Reisinger

Have you read any of their books?

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Submission and radical surrender to Christ to walk like Him. Requirements for salvation and not optional as non lord ship types teach.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The question is always the time frame isn't it?
    Luke 14:33 So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.

Did you obey the above verse when you were first saved? "Making Christ Lord" means becoming his disciple immediately, forsaking all that you have and following him. It is equivalent to leaving America and going to the foreign mission field. Have you done that yet? Or were you ready to do it the day you were saved? Do you think children are?

Luke 14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Luke 14:27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

I am not so sure that 90% or more of the posters on this board fit the qualification of what is expected of Christ in "Lordship salvation," much less a new believer, or of one who is about to trust Christ. If that is the case it is nigh to impossible to come to Christ.

11. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

So those of us who claim to be saved but do not buy into the precepts of Lordship Salvation are "false converts?"
    I've never had my salvation questioned so much as when I started visiting Baptist Board.

Yes, but teachers WHO write books can be wrong. James was pointing out that simply reading the scripture is only part of the equation. We have to rely on God to bring revelation our hearts and minds concerning the scriptures. Do you really believe MacArthur to be an infallible source of scriptural exposition?

12. gigabyte71

gigabyte71 Member

Just not the entire Bible, right? Did you miss the 'Survey' principle in the Hermeneutics class you claim to have taken?

But all of theirs from cover to cover.

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you defining LS as teaching then that either we must repent and forsake all known sins before salvation, or even afterwards then?

14. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you may be playing loose with your definition. Surrender what? Submit what?

Also, "true converts" aren't the only ones who try this "submission" thing you speak of.

You have more in common with Seventh Day Adventists than you do with any other sect. But look at their doctrine. They've clearly submitted to the written Law, but "in the Name of Christ"

This is where I was, pre-conversion. I was doing my best (so I thought) to obey the law in Christ's Name, all the while spewing condemnation toward anybody who didn't see things my way.

I was serving the ministry of death.

That's why I say Lordship proponents have either never been born again, or they have fallen from grace. I don't pretend to know which is the case, especially on an individual basis.

I will say, though, those who have been born again shall never come into condemnation, even if they have fallen from grace. They are crucifying the Son of God afresh, and are close to being accursed

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The verses I posted are about discipleship as Jesus directed them to his disciples. "You cannot be my disciple." They do not say "You cannot be saved."
    If they were about salvation, then salvation would be by works, and not by grace through faith. We don't believe in a works salvation. That is what LS teaches.

These scriptures do teach that true discipleship is costly and sacrificial. Most Americans are not willing to live a sacrificial life. "To deny yourself, take up your cross, and follow Christ," is not an easy command to follow.

(Sorry, I thought you directed that post the verses I listed)

#35 DHK, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2015
  16. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the best post so far in this thread

17. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    which sins were you able to keep since professing your faith in Christ ?
    which sins did you not have to repent of ?
    what sins were you able to continue to practice
    which sins are you able to continue in in order that grace can much more abound

18. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spoken like a true Seventh Day Adventist

19. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I do not think you can give a biblical definition of salvation. ...and sanctification
    you have no idea what you are talking about.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The question is not about "ability."
    The question is about "nature."

We still have an old nature, the propensity to do evil, which Paul describes in the latter half of Romans 7. There are two natures struggling within him, which at the end of the chapter he cries out and says:
    "Who shall deliver me from the body of this death." And the answer immediately comes:
    Romans 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.
    The choice was Paul's, whether to give into sin or not. Sometimes he did. Do you think he lost his salvation when he did? Was Paul perfect?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.