1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Losing Salvation?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by MamaCW, Mar 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Are you suggesting that the people represented in this parable had some kind of false belief, like the demons of James 2:19 or the wolves of Matthew 7:15? If so, my friend, you are simply wrong. These people had an immature faith that had not yet taken root and they were saved just as surely as a little child who just received Christ into his or her life is saved.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a similar testimony RB. In fact I fought it, but when He comes after you trust me He's bringing you out of your darkness, even if you were like me kickin & screaming. Then that sense of Holy Spirit peace comes...that which defies all understanding. The grace of God saved me in spite of myself. We receive grace despite ourselves. All of God.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Zenas YOU are a works Salvationist. No matter how you cut it, by your standards the person cannot get to heaven unless they achieve. You may reject scripture for your desire of works, but be careful as God rejects works salvationists.This is what is true, not your teachings;

1John 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us: but [they went out], that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

If they leave they were never saved.

1John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit (practice) sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot (practice) sin, because he is born of God.

Believers do not practice sin so you have a false gospel and fall under the curse in Gal. Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?
    Gal. 1:8-9 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
    As we said before, so say I now again, If any [man] preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My friend, I say the same thing back to you: You're wrong. I disagree with your interpretation of the parable.

At this point, not sure what you could say, or what I could say, that would change the mind of either of us.

5. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're Welcome, and . . .

. . . with that encouragement, let the praise go to the Father! :godisgood:

6. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

EWF, I figured you would point out the burlesque of comparing God's grace with a life insurance policy and I recognize it is not a perfect analogy. But only because it is difficult to compare the things of God with the concepts of man.

As for your assertion that we are saved in spite of ourselves, I can't go there. I know you have embraced the tenets of Calvinism with nearly as much zeal as some of the die hard Cals on this board. I will refrain from mocking you but I sincerely believe the Calvinist outlook is inconsistent with with God's plan as revealed in scripture.

Without Jesus Christ it would be impossible to be saved. However, despite what you suggest and what Reformed Baptist just suggested above, we have to do something to be saved. If you can be saved by doing nothing, we would all be saved and we could dismiss all our pastors, dissolve all our churches and recall all our missionaries. Or, if God simply saves some people by giving them faith and leaves others to perish, He is indeed a diabolical Machiavellian god. Salvation requires the grace of Jesus Christ and the cooperation of man. Deep down I think you know that.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Praise God that you finally got saved. We all have much to be thankful for.

8. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Like I replied to EW&F, you cannot be saved by your works. You must have the grace of Jesus Christ. But you can't be saved without cooperating with and obeying the commands of Christ either. And yes, God does expect us to acheive. Please read the parable of the talents.
    I don't desire works. Frankly, your brand of salvation is a lot easier. But our works are what preserves our salvation:
    And these aren't my teachings, they are the Word of God. I'm sorry if I struck a nerve there, but truth is truth and you should not distort it to fit your ill conceived soteriology.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As you have said in your 1st paragraph, I am committed to Reformed Orthodox Christian Theology because I have both experienced Saving Grace personally & because I do not believe in a diabolical God but a God who loves me & is Sovereign.

As for Calvinism, I am sincerely sorry that you have misjudged us ... I fear that something in your evaluation of us has gone wrong somewhere. If nothing else, we are truly believers of God's complete sovereignty & we put our faith an assurance in Him as our loving creator & Lord of all. Our Calvinism leads us to loving both the Creator & His Creation, to providing Him his due Glory, Praise & Thanksgiving. Our vision of Him is far from perverted & diabolical. You cannot have people like Bunyan, Edwards, Whitfield, Warfield, Spurgeon, Piper, Lloyd-Jones, Sproul, JM Boice, Barnhouse, Kuyper, Chalmers, Knox & countless others all believing this theology & just discredit it because you dont get it Perhaps you can interpret 1 Corinthians 2:14 for me: " The natural man receives not the things of the spirit of God: for they are foolishness to him... neither can he know them,for they are spiritually discerned. "

So you say you can loose your salvation .... you believe in the notion of "Falling From Grace" LOL

OK, then support it scripturally.

10. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Friend,

What hand did you have in bringing your natural life into this world? What did you do to be born into the world of men?

Why then do you suppose that you should have any hand or say in God bringing His spiritual sons and daughters into His kingdom?

11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

To refresh memories, we're talking about Romans 11:29 "For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance."

Yes, the context of the verse is God's relation to the Jews, but the principle remains the same. Paul has just written that the Jews are enemies of the gospel, but they are still God's elect people, and he will restore them to covenant relationship in the future.

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

But your parents did bring you into this world. It was the union of your father and mother that brought forth you. Yet, you are not your parents, you are a complete individual.

And it takes two to be born again, it takes the union of the Holy Spirit with our spirit.

1 Cor 6:17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

When we accept Christ, his Holy Spirit is joined with our spirit to make a new creation, a new individual.

Rom 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

Eph 4:23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
    24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

2Co*1:22 Who has also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.

Eph*1:13 In whom you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after you believed, you were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise,

Eph*4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, by whom you are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Zenas, if you will study what "sealed" means I think it will help you.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry but whats any of this have to do with loosing your salvation? Now Im confused

15. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

If we are discussing the act of the new birth winman, the Scriptures which you have shared which I most heartily believe and receive, do not discuss the act, but the effect.

Which text of Scripture likens being born of God with being born the first time?

16. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Like I said you are a workls salvationist. It is not faith and works. it is faith alone. ------------

#56 freeatlast, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2011
  17. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Paul was addressing the problems in the church at Corinth, particularly their bickering and factions. He was explaining that human knowledge cannot understand the things of God It takes spirit to discern spirit. Paul was not talking about understanding scripture.

You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace. Galatians 5:4.

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

I would say the word "born" itself compares our spiritual birth to our physical birth. The Lord could have easily used another word if he did not mean to imply this.

And look up the word "joined" in your concordance, you will see in every instance it speaks of voluntarily joining one's self with another.

The scriptures show this, John 1:12 says as many as "received" him, to them (those that received him) gave he power to BECOME the sons of God, even to them (those that received him) that believe on his name:

You aren't regenerated and made a son of God in order to receive Jesus as Calvinism teaches, you must receive Jesus to "become" a son of God. And that this receiving is voluntary is shown by those who refused him and received him not in verse 11.

19. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Because life has no purpose if we have no control over our eternal destiny. We are just parts of a finely tuned machine. That is not God's way. He wants us to come to Him and to know Him--all of us. And he gave us the power of reason and the gift of discernment to help us along the way. "Whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely."

20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

God's way is not our way and especially not your way. God does the saving and He does the keeping. No one ever lost their salvation. It is not get saved by faith and stay saved by works or works/faith. That is a works salvation and brings a curse on those who teach it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.