1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Losing Salvation?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by MamaCW, Mar 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

There is nothing telling us we can lose it only verse telling us we cannot and i gave some.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless I'm mistaken, and I'm sure someone will let me know if I am -- Mr. Hamilton is agreeing with you.

You should just let him agree with you, rather than argue his agreement.

3. Bobby Hamilton

Bobby Hamilton New Member

I agree with you. My question wasn't necessarily for you initially. It was for the gentleman who kind of inferred that you could indeed lose your salvation. You were questioning him as being a works salvationist, and I was just wanting to know if you can lose your salvation, where in the Bible does it say exactly that you can, or what you have to do.

We on the same page now?

4. Bobby Hamilton

Bobby Hamilton New Member

Winner.

I wanted to tell FAL to go back and re-read, but I couldn't remember how much I typed.

I also know my initial question wasn't really addressed at anyone in particular, but kind of thrown out there.

I just think FAL maybe misread or misunderstood something and has that on the brain. I do it as well.

5. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think, that someone thinks, that coming to the Lord for Salvation..., and then accepting His Saving Power, is but a Down Payment.

Then, after the down payment some think there's like monthly installments.
    I don't think so.

After one's Salvation experience a New Christian has no desire to go back to the way things were. So where does all this "other" junk come from? Works? To say, "Lord..., look what I'ma doin' for you."

6. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I grew up with just Methodists and Baptists in our town. The Methodist preachers said a person could get saved and lose it if the person stopped believing. The Baptists said that could not happen, but a person could think they were saved but not be.

But instead of arguing the theology, those old boys would team up and go visit the lost together. Didn't make a whit of difference if the person had lost salvation or never had it to begin with.

Mattered a whole heap that they were lost.

What they needed was salvation, not arguing with as whether or not they ever had been.

By teaming up, those preachers shot down the arguments and saw lots of folks saved.

7. drfuss

drfuss New Member

nodak writes:
    "But instead of arguing the theology, those old boys would team up and go visit the lost together. Didn't make a whit of difference if the person had lost salvation or never had it to begin with."

Actually they both believed the same thing. They just express it using different definitions and terminology.

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Thank you for the clarification. Sorry is I miss-understood.

9. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

This is an excuse to demonize people that don't act just like them. For a Methodist if you don't fit the mold and conform like everyone else they must find a way within their theology to figure out why your not conforming despite your supposed "salvation experience". Its the same with Baptists.

A Methodist will say you lost it, a Baptist will say you never really had it. And its all just looking to find out why one doesn't look, act, walk, talk, think and behave just like them. But instead of coming to this conclusion in the Spirit they 99 times out of 100 come to it in the flesh via extremely shallow and superficial criteria. Cant see their brothers speck for the 100ft beam in their own eyes I guess.

10. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

tater77, had you expressed that attitude in the oil field town I grew up in, the baptist brotherhood would have taken you out for some discipline.

No one was judging folks. When someone says "I'm not saved" you give them the gospel, then worry later about the theology of osas.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lots of good points made . . but past cut off page limit (10). IF there is a pertinent issue not yet discussed on the topic, start a new thread.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.