1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Lousiana College and Calvinism

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Feb 4, 2013.

1. GBC Pastor

GBC Pastor New Member

They practiced accountability. A committee was formed to investigate. A vote was taken. The majority ruled. But because the vote didn't go the way you wanted it to go it's not valid to you. Had the vote been 4-3 to dismiss Dr. Aguillard however, I guarantee you would have been more than satisfied with the outcome.

2. jonathanD

jonathanD New Member

The lack of transparency makes it impossible to know whether or not there was any real accountability. The ONLY third party investigation confirmed the allegations.

3. GBC Pastor

GBC Pastor New Member

And that same third party admitted that their findings were based on incomplete information and a limited time frame to investigate the matter fully.

4. jonathanD

jonathanD New Member

And that is, in part, because Aguillard refused to meet with them. They did, however, have the folder that Boggs found so compelling. You see how Lee voted.

5. jonathanD

jonathanD New Member

6. GBC Pastor

GBC Pastor New Member

Glad to read that he didn't resign just because he did not get his way. I've never been a big fan of the "I'll take my ball and go home" attitude.

7. jonathanD

jonathanD New Member

It has more to do with what you sign your name to. Tacit approval to unethical behavior is no small thing.

Pastors have to shepherd their people and determine whether or not they are being good stewards with the finances the Lord has blessed them with. There's no "take my ball and go home" attitude.

8. GBC Pastor

GBC Pastor New Member

Which is the opinion of the minority.

9. jonathanD

jonathanD New Member

In a country where abortion is the law of the land, divorce rates are at or above 50%, we voted for 8 years of GWB and then 8 of BHO, forgive me if the "majority" argument doesn't settle anything for me.

10. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

Amen! A majority vote crucified Jesus. I guess those same people would love LC's president.

11. GBC Pastor

GBC Pastor New Member

Yes...I'm sure every majority vote in history has been in error. We should just listen to the vocal minority in all instances right?

12. jonathanD

jonathanD New Member

Don't be silly. It's not wrong to question this majority in particular because the decisive vote came from someone who stands to lose an awful lot if Aguillard was not exhonerated. You talk a lot about me being upset because things didn't go my way. I think you ignore quite a few pertinent facts because things did go your way.

13. GBC Pastor

GBC Pastor New Member

I'm curious as to what you think Dr. Hankins stands to lose? Also what "facts" do you think I'm ignoring? What truly proven facts have I ignored?

14. jonathanD

jonathanD New Member

1. Hankins has massive influence over the election of trustees AND has more influence at LC than any other LBC executive director in the history of the college. If LC flounders with all the influence that Hankins has, it reflects very poorly on him (don't believe me? ask some of the trustees he was calling the night before the meeting).

2. A man you spoke very highly of (Dr. Quarles) found Dr. A's actions to be unethical and filed a complaint. VP Johnson found Dr. A's actions to be unethical and filed a complaint. The Cason family who had pledged up to 60 million to LC, believed their funds to be mismanaged or misappropriated and, forfeiting their anonymity, spoke out. Three of the sub-committee members voted NOT to exonerate Dr. A. Thirteen of 29 trustees voted NOT to exonerate Dr. A. If you were to take away Hankins' vote (which is a clear conflict of interests), the sub-committee was split on whether or not to even bring exoneration to a vote.

Does this mean he's guilty? No. Does it mean that whatever Boggs thought was a slam dunk wasn't overwhelmingly compelling? Absolutely.

With the millions upon millions of LBC dollars that go to LC, I think the churches deserve to know exactly what's going on. Transparency is only a bad thing if you've got something to hide.

15. GBC Pastor

GBC Pastor New Member

I'll agree that Hankins has more influence with the board than past directors, but who gave him the influence? LC has floundered before and it was not necessarily a reflection on previous directors.

All your facts are simply the number of people who voted in the minority. And while I respect Dr. Quarles tremendously I did not always agree with him nor do I believe him to be infallible at all times.

All that seems to be reflected in your previous post is your dislike for the way the voting went based on your personal beliefs about Dr. Aguillard's guilt/innocence. However, this is precisely the reason we have democratic votes in our churches and our convention. The vote was taken, the decision was made, and now it's time to move on.

16. jonathanD

jonathanD New Member

I don't know who gave Hankins that influence, but I know that it is unique in baptist life. Hankins' position on the board makes him uniquely culpable in comparison to his predecessors.

The numbers are intended to show the closeness of the votes. 16 vote for exoneration, 13 vote against it. 4 (including the ED) vote for exoneration, 3 vote against it. Democracy is not divine, but it is informative. Here it informs us that this is a very fuzzy case. I bring up Quarles because he is very respected (more respected than Aguillard) in the world of secondary education. He is not infallible, but he's not one to make up allegations and charges...especially when they are corroborated by a VP and affirmed by an independent investigative body.

The "vote" is tainted because of the lack of transparency on behalf of the administration. Aguillard refused to meet with the investigative firm. The "folder of exoneration" was seen by the firm as well as the trustees who voted not to exonerate.

In the end, these are very serious charges and they should be addressed. Public accusations demand public exonerations. Again, the only people who have voted for exoneration are those who stand to lose (face if nothing else) if Aguillard is found guilty.

17. jonathanD

jonathanD New Member

18. jonathanD

jonathanD New Member