1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Love or Charity

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Terry_Herrington, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I find that sometimes agape love is translated "love" in the KJV and sometimes it is translated "charity." What, if any, is the difference?

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Terry: If there is a difference, it is minute. Agape love means giving unconditionally of yourself and that fits what happens in love and charity both.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have heard it preached that "charity" is agape love in action.

HankD

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The word in Greek is "agape. Literally, it means love. The problem is that, in Greek, there are several different words for love. We in English have only one. Charity is an aspect of agape, but it's not an all-inclusive description. Agape is unconditional love, the kind of love that God has for us. It is love that is given freely, and has no expectations or limitations. The desctiption of agape given in 1Cor13 attempts to define agape love, but as you can see, it takes a whole chapter to define what it is [​IMG]

5. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Wow! I like this definition. Thanks. [​IMG]